Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Useful info about CI methods?

Postby Cainntear » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:11 am

GawainStan wrote:I can't speak for the efficacy of CI in general but I often wonder if the biggest advocates of the system are people who only ever learn 'popular' or dare I say, eurocentric languages. I have yet to find the Persian equivalent to Dreaming Spanish or a vast array of n+1 audiovisual material covering Khmer, Telugu or heck even Bengali.

Absolutely. Assimil doesn't follow Krashen's principles, but you can see clear influence from the "natural methods" movement in it. The general rule of thumb was "the closer it is to France, the more effective Assimil is". That's not really true, cos Basque's spoken *in* France, and it's not a great language for Assimil.

I also remember one paper being published years ago saying "exposure" and "absorption" were popular ideas, but they'd been tried in Finnish and had been totally abandonned in favour of explicit instruction, because the grammar was just too different from IE languages for implicit strategies to work.
4 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:17 am

Cainntear wrote:Merrill Swain was contemporary to Krashen, and her response to Krashen's Comprehensible Input Hypothesis was called the Comprehensible Output Hypothesis. She said that one of the keys to building and hypothesis was to be able to test if it works. She argued that anyone receiving input would have to build a hypothesis (even if only a subconscious one) on what the rule is that led to that sentence. You can only check the validity of that hypothesis by trying to produce output, and the hypothesis is disproven if people fail to understand you, so you can then try to formulate a new hypothesis or revise or refine your earlier hypothesis.

The only problem with this is is that unidiomatic or incorrect usage will often be understood by natives, so you in practice have to learn to check your hypotheses against input as well. But developing your intuition through exposure and strengthening what Krashen would call your "monitor" through deliberate study can go in parallel.

There's the other frustration I have with CI. If you say this to a CI evangelist, they'll say that no, it really is "i+1" because you've only started learning that word, because otherwise you wouldn't be revising it on a card. If you haven't finished learning it, it's still "+1".

In that case it would be essentially impossible to learn any language that you don't already understand. :D
0 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

kleene*star
White Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (Advanced), Hebrew (beginner)

Postby kleene*star » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:32 am

Sometimes I wonder if it's just sheer chance that CI has become so popular in the age of machine learning/AI/natural language processing or if there is some deep connection there. I mean, CI is basically natural language processing for humans.
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:40 am

emk wrote:"Comprehensible input" isn't truly new. For a similar idea from well before Krashen, the direct method was invented around 1900. It mixes CI with echoing and some active exercises. Here's an example Spanish textbook from 1922, which is clearly trying to do comprehensible input (and taking advantage of Latin cognates to do it). We keep reinventing the 6 same language learning methods on a 2-generation cycle, in response to shortcomings of the previous fad.

For more on this, I recommend everyone reads On the Mortality of Language Learning Methods by Wilfried Decoo. This is probably one of the most important things written about the history of language teaching. (Hence me making references to it every now and then.)

Note that at the time he delivered this as a lecture, the Krashen-influenced communicative turn in teaching was on the wane, but picked up a bit due to the English-language market. Krashen is coming back big because the TEFL industry leaned heavily on him (in a largely tokenistic way) so there are an awful lot of people who know the name.
And of course there was AJATT, which succeeed for some learners—but not all. Tons of people have used methods built around generous input and a bare minimum of grammatical instruction.

Mention of that riles me up a bit. I remember when Khatz said publically that he'd abandoned his "1000 sentences" idea (or whatever it was).

I wasn't annoyed that he'd abandoned it, but that he had taken a whole year before saying publicly that he had -- apparently he felt like he'd be short-changing his paying customers if he didn't tell them a year before everyone else, so essentially he lied to people who weren't his customers by telling them that something he wasn't confident in would work...!
I think it's worth studying some grammar at some point. For example, I picked up my first actual French grammar book about 2 weeks before my B2 exam, and skimmed it in about 3 hours. But that time was extremely well spent. It was helpful to see the actual rules underlying things I'd been using for a long time. And of course I did grammar study before that. I made a half-hearted attempt to read Assimil's weekly grammar reviews, and I would definitely Google strange constructions I'd seen. But mostly I read, and watched, and spoke, and wrote at least 1,500 words (and got them corrected). And I had at least 15 sessions with a good tutor who'd point out weird phrasing.

But the thing is that you knew the sort of things to keep an eye out for -- you understand grammatical concepts far better than most of the average population. This gives us the weird paradox that the people who best understand written grammar explanations need them least, and the people who need grammar explanations most are likely to understand them the least.

But at the same time, you cannot reach C2 using grammar workbooks.

But that's just because grammar workbooks are badly written...! ;)

Still, I never did an FSI drill, and I never did a single page of a grammar workbook. At least some students can get away with very small amounts of "traditional" grammar study.

The thing to remember is that FSI really is quite behaviorist in its outlook -- the activities are very mechanical. What is the skill practiced in a "substitution drill"? If I am given the phrase "I want a car" and the word "house", the only thing I have to understand is that the word "house" can be swapped with "car", and I don't actually have to understand either word or the meaning of the sentence -- I just have to get a vague notion that they're the same word class and therefore can be swapped. For the other 10 exercises, there's even less, because quite often, I'm just throwing an arbitrary sequence of phonemes into the same slot as I identified the first time. It's a mindless thing, and it's basically the sort of stuff that misled Chomsky and Krashen into feeling that grammar exercises were pointless.
That sort of drill arguably only teaches declarative knowledge of rules. I don't think it's really fair to extrapolate from FSI to wider "traditional grammar study".
I am studying Spanish with extremely input-heavy methods, though I've recently introduced something like Assimil's active wave. And I'm finally using Anki to learn verb endings. But I could follow along with 30–40% of a specific TV should before I could actually conjugate the present tense of ser. And overall? I'd say I'm making decent progress, especially relative to the time I've put in. So it's clearly possible to rely on input-heavy methods and tiny amounts of grammar study, without sacrificing results.

But again, you've got more awareness of grammar than most. You've also studied French, which is closely related and yet more complicated in certain ways. Spanish is a language that I can hardly imagine giving you real difficulty. As GawainStan alludes to, languages that are closely related need less conscious work anyway.
3 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:41 am

leosmith wrote:
rdearman wrote:How do you determine this?
The best way to determine it is just to feel how much of a struggle it is. No struggle = i, some struggle = i+1, too much struggle = fts. If you read enough different stuff, you can become aware of what level feels about right to you, and stick with those resources before advancing to harder ones. This fits in nicely with the general principle of "mastering" something relatively simple before mastering something slightly harder, and so on, which many successful language learners use.

Odd that you've switched from talking about level-appropriate stuff to talking about i+1, though...
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:50 am

Saim wrote:
Cainntear wrote:Merrill Swain was contemporary to Krashen, and her response to Krashen's Comprehensible Input Hypothesis was called the Comprehensible Output Hypothesis. She said that one of the keys to building and hypothesis was to be able to test if it works. She argued that anyone receiving input would have to build a hypothesis (even if only a subconscious one) on what the rule is that led to that sentence. You can only check the validity of that hypothesis by trying to produce output, and the hypothesis is disproven if people fail to understand you, so you can then try to formulate a new hypothesis or revise or refine your earlier hypothesis.

The only problem with this is is that unidiomatic or incorrect usage will often be understood by natives, so you in practice have to learn to check your hypotheses against input as well. But developing your intuition through exposure and strengthening what Krashen would call your "monitor" through deliberate study can go in parallel.

Well yes, absolutely. However, even getting rid of only the most serious errors is better than not getting rid of any errors, right...?

There's the other frustration I have with CI. If you say this to a CI evangelist, they'll say that no, it really is "i+1" because you've only started learning that word, because otherwise you wouldn't be revising it on a card. If you haven't finished learning it, it's still "+1".

In that case it would be essentially impossible to learn any language that you don't already understand. :D

Ah, no... you haven't understood Krashen then, because he says "waffle waffle i+1 mutter mutter acquistion mumble mutter". I hope that makes everything clear!!
2 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:33 am

Cainntear wrote:Well yes, absolutely. However, even getting rid of only the most serious errors is better than not getting rid of any errors, right...?

Definitely. Just wanted to point out this applies only to a minority of really egregious errors.
0 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Slowpoke
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Korean (A2), German (beginner)

Postby Slowpoke » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:58 am

rpg wrote:When I read your OP, I thought you were basically just talking about ALG (now recently popularized by Dreaming Spanish). But now I'm not so sure:

Yeah, I'm a bit confused about what OP is talking about. Could OP maybe elaborate - like provide a link to a blog post or something that this is about? I've read through the thread and feel even more lost after the bit about them being surprised that ALG is all in the target language and doesn't involve reading.
0 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)
Italian (beg)

Postby leosmith » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:41 pm

Saim wrote:As far as I can tell people when people get "stuck translating" it's because they haven't had much volume of exposure or practice, not because they use translation as a learning tool.
could be. But I've actually read posts from people who use it as their method.
Cainntear wrote:Odd that you've switched from talking about level-appropriate stuff to talking about i+1, though...
Odd that you consider them to be different...
Slowpoke wrote:Could OP maybe elaborate - like provide a link to a blog post or something that this is about? I've read through the thread and feel even more lost after the bit about them being surprised that ALG is all in the target language and doesn't involve reading.
I already elaborated here. By "these recent CIMs" I meant "Dreaming Spanish and various copycats" not ALG. I assumed if everyone was using the term CI, it must include reading now too. Otherwise they'd call it the Audio Input Only method or something like that.
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:32 pm

leosmith wrote:
GawainStan wrote:I can't speak for the efficacy of CI in general but I often wonder if the biggest advocates of the system are people who only ever learn 'popular' or dare I say, eurocentric languages. I have yet to find the Persian equivalent to Dreaming Spanish or a vast array of n+1
I agree with you; the "any reasonable method works" languages. Btw, I think it is i+1 rather than n+1, but I could be wrong since I've seen that before.

Let me look at a harder example than Spanish. Again; I want to make clear that everything below is experimental, and that it might not work for other people.

I was quite fond of Assimil's L'Égyptien hiéroglyphique. This obviously uses bilingual texts, but with a 4-way alignment:

1. Hieroglyphic text.
  2. Transliteration to a Latin-derived script.
  3. Literal word-for-word translation to French.
  4. "Smooth" translation to French.
For example:

And Assimil is more generous than usual with written explanations. You can see the ① in this image, which points to a footnote.

But still, when I was working with this, my end goal for each lesson was to cover up the two French versions of this text, and to be able to read through the Egyptian versions with at least 85% comprehension. All the fiddling around with French versions was just "scaffolding", an aid which allowed me to reach the actual goal of staring at the Egyptian and just understanding it. And to make sure I wasn't ignoring the tiny details, I made cloze cards which hid one interesting detail at a time. This was a moderately successful experiment, although preparing the cards was laborious.

This is not a "comprehensible input method" in the sense that ALG or Dreaming Spanish would recognize. But the end goal of each little step is to produce just one more sentence of Egyptian that I can directly understand in Egyptian. I'm basically doing what Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata is doing, but with a lot more margin notes. :lol: If you compare Assimil's course with Allen's absolutely excellent Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs, you can see a clear difference. Allen has written a very traditional course, in fact, one of the finest I've personally seen for any language. But Allen's book is a wall of English text explaining tiny snippets of Egyptian. And if I recall correctly, it starts by explaining things like "nouns" and "verbs", because Allen couldn't assume the reader understood those ideas in English. Assimil, despite the interlinear format and the handy notes like ①, is far more focused understanding small bits of Egyptian until they add up into larger bits of Egyptian.

I actually have my favorite little diagram that tries to explain what I'm doing:

I have a longer explanation in my log, but basically, my goal at each step is to find some trick—any trick—which allows me to understand some bit of "input" in the target language. And then I repeat that moment of comprehension until it becomes almost automatic. The repetition may take the form of reviewing the original input, or of consuming large amounts of similar input.

I've been trying something similar for Spanish, using native audio from the beginning. My study of Spanish (which is experimental and probably unwise) didn't start with tons of grammar study. It started with Anki audio cards like this:

Above the line, I have the "front" of the card, containing an image and a short audio clip. Below, I have the Spanish text and the English translation. I literally just started reviewing these cards "as is," with no prior study of Spanish. Which is less forgiving than Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata, because nobody put the input into a nice order for me, or wrote handy margin notes. But my experience was much like Sprachprofi's earlier experiment with Japanese—within 1,000 cards and 30 hours of work, I could understand longer and longer sentences of Spanish directly from the native audio. I had transformed a small core of Spanish into an "earworm", something that was stuck constantly in my head, right down to details like the intonation. And when I encountered similar phrases in the input, I understood them automatically. This allowed me to "follow" 30–40% of the dialog. So I sat down and watched the entire series in Spanish. Which was quite enjoyable and a pleasant workout for what I did understand. But it didn't help too much with the 60–70% I couldn't understand.

To work on active skills, I had Anki "flip" some of my cards. Here, the "front" contains an image, and some Spanish context with one phrase missing. My job is to take that English and convert it back to Spanish.

Image Image

To answer these cards, I'm relying on a mix of the "earwormed" dialog, and on some primitive ability to produce Spanish on my own. Call it a 70/30 split, though it varies from card to card. This is heavily inspired by Assimil's active wave. But it's also much like this 1922 "direct method" exercise, which starts out by telling the student Apréndase de memoria y repítase con el libro cerrado "Learn by heart and repeat with the book closed". Which is also echoed in "chunking" theories of language learning. There's literally nothing new under the sun; we keep remixing the same basic ideas decade after decade. Which is fine, if rather annoying for all the poor language teachers who get pushed from fad to fad by educational bureaucracy.

I do look up grammar. Occasionally. In strictly limited doses. But I have a 6-page laminated grammar summary, and I've recently started learning the conjugation tables of common verbs using this handy Anki deck. And the grammar study review is useful, though—like Assimil—I tend to delay it until well after I've seen the form in context. There's no reason why I can't start by watching Spanish TV, and then later circle back and learn to properly conjugate ser.

So I hope this explains where I'm coming from here:

1. I do not insist on "purity" of any sort. In my favorite diagram, the first step is "cheating." Bilingual texts, pantomime, actually looking things up—absolutely anything is fair game, if it allows me to decipher and understand some text.
  2. But the goal is to reach the point where I do understand stuff, so that I can "consolidate" it through sheer repetition and make it automatic.
  3. Output needs to be practiced separately, though there's no harm in putting it off for a couple of months. Longer than that, and it's too easy to ignore lots of interesting details that I should be "noticing."
  4. I do allow myself bits of grammar study. But I usually do it in a ridiculously lackadaisical fashion.
I don't actually know if this is a good method (though it seems to work surprisingly well for my goals), or more importantly, if it would actually be reproducible for anyone else. Caveat emptor. Your mileage may vary. Trained driver on a closed track: Do not attempt this stunt at home.

emk wrote:"Comprehensible input" isn't truly new. For a similar idea from well before Krashen, the direct method was invented around 1900.
Interesting – it seems that for you, the key identifier of CIMs is that they use only L2 to teach L2. I didn’t even include that point on my list – are CIM followers these days really not using translation when consuming CI? That would surprise me, at least for the reading part. I wouldn’t consider Assimil to be a CIM, because it uses so little CI. I would consider the LingQ Method to be a CIM, even though it uses translation, because it relies heavily on tons on CI. Anyway, thanks for the links because I thought the “Nature Method” was the oldest CIM.

The "direct method" was a slightly different mix of ideas. It emphasized comprehensible input in the target language, with as little L1 as possible. But as you can see from the textbook I linked above, it also encouraged memorizing and repeating entire phrases, and of using recently learned structures to produce simple output.

But my larger point was that we've been remixing a small number of familiar ideas in simple combinations for generations now. Each becomes a popular fad, typically because it successfully addresses the weaknesses of the preceding fad. But the new fad introduces weaknesses of its own, and so the cycle continues.

How are you defining "silent period"? My definition was, except for CI consumption, not doing any learning activities. I start to pronounce/repeat stuff on day 1, but I normally wait 1-3 months before beginning to converse, so maybe we agree about the 50 days.

Well, for Spanish, I was literally watching TV with partial comprehension before I actually started properly learning my conjugation tables. My approach may not have been "pure", but it was extremely heavily biased towards comprehensible input.

This happens with many popular methods - how many ways do people "do" Assimil, for example? That makes it hard to figure out what they mean by the Assimil method. That’s why I defined CIMs above.

This is why I wrote that big wall of text above. :lol: I wanted to actually get into the gritty details of how I tackled Egyptian and Spanish. Egyptian is not an easy language, so any comprehension requires more "scaffolding". But the goal remained to understand actual Egyptian directly.

Cainntear wrote:But the thing is that you knew the sort of things to keep an eye out for -- you understand grammatical concepts far better than most of the average population. This gives us the weird paradox that the people who best understand written grammar explanations need them least, and the people who need grammar explanations most are likely to understand them the least.

Yes, and this is where many enthusiastic reformers fail—they discover a method which works for themselves, but which isn't actually reproducible for a broad population of students. I absolutely believe that "10,000 sentences" worked for Khatzumoto personally. But once he had paying students, he discovered that many of them were struggling massively with output. And the whole thing ended in a rather unpleasant and disreputable mess, as you mentioned.

There's a reason why my log is titled "How not to learn Spanish"—I want to make it clear that everything I am doing is experimental, and that none of it has been reproduced with a broad range of learners. Any given step of my personal methods might be relying on some weird peculiarity of my brain. (For example, I've tried Alexander Arguelles' "shadowing" techniques, but I simply cannot hook my ears and my mouth up like that. I believe that shadowing works amazingly for him, but I need to find other techniques.)

And of course, when someone takes an interesting experimental method and tries to standardize it for schools, it's the teachers who need to clean up the resulting mess. Teachers work with a broad range of students, many of whom have gaps in their knowledge. For example, I recall the story of one poor woman who just completely failed to understand the ideas that Spanish verbs needed to be conjugated. She'd just stick random forms of verbs into her sentences—sometimes the infinitive, sometimes a different form. If I were responsible for teaching her, I would reach straight for some grammatical worksheets or some FSI drills, and I would use them to try to explain the ideas of "person" and "number". Whatever is going on with her isn't going to be fixed by piling on more input.

In fact, I'm deeply suspicious of any method that promises to get people from zero to C2 using "one weird trick". After all, you need to develop four core skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking). And the specific challenges faced at A1 are different than those faced at C2. Sometimes devoting 30 hours to a new learning approach will produce better results than spending another 300 hours on the same thing the student has been doing all along.

All that said, I do lean heavily towards input. And not just in French and Spanish, where most any reasonable method would work. Less familiar languages require far more "scaffolding" or "cheating". But even there, sheer volume and repetition will do a lot to make a language like Middle Egyptian seem more natural and intuitive. Given a choice between Allen's traditonal and undeniably excellent Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs, and a course like L'Égyptien hiéroglyphique that focuses on learning to understand a series of Egyptian texts, I'm still going to go with Assimil.

But again, Assimil didn't invent the interlinear gloss! Here's a gorgeous example from the 10th century:

The Lindisfarne Gospels (Fig. 1a) is a copy of the Holy Gospels created during the 8th century at Lindisfarne, a small island off the north-eastern coast of England. As was customary at the time, the main body of the gospels was written in Latin. In between the Latin, however, late Old English interlinear glosses were added during the 10th century by a monk and scribe by the name of Aldred, who wrote in a distinct Northumbrian dialect characteristic of the northeast area in Britain. These Old English interlinear glosses (in red) can be seen in between the Latin text (in black) on Fig. 1b. By having translated the Holy Gospels into his native Old English, Aldred provided us with the first ever English translation of the text.

And even the translation-based methods could involve surprising amounts of input. I have a copy of Gordon's An Introduction to Old Norse, which provides the student with a short grammar, a painfully limited glossary, and a limited amount of parallel text. But the vast bulk of the book is chapter after chapter of Old Norse, which the student is presumably expected to translate. If your classical "grammar-translation" tutor expects you to translate 5 pages a day, then you're presumably going to get lots of "input"! Contrast this with textbooks that contain only a few short specimens of the target language surrounded by a wall of English text.

I am suspicious of language learning methods which never reach a point where a student is told, "Here's a book. You should be able to read this now, more or less. Go for it." Because I do think that automaticity and intuition come from sheer volume, not from reading long explanations in English. The explanations in English might sometimes be necessary, but they're a preparatory step.
5 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”