Notable writers who have written in an L2 ("Exophony")

General discussion about learning languages
kleene*star
White Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (Advanced), Hebrew (beginner)

Re: Notable writers who have written in an L2 ("Exophony")

Postby kleene*star » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:34 am

I hate that the first author that came to my mind is Ayn Rand.
2 x

rpg
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (advanced), Spanish (~B2),
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8368

Postby rpg » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:30 pm

Le Baron wrote:
rpg wrote:In this particular case the narrative is obvious--Esperanto enthusiasts looking to claim more legitimacy for Esperanto as a language of literature.

I've never read his work and it's possible it's exemplary, but this particular claim irritates me whenever I see it.

Or that, as you acknowledge as a possibility, the particular work is good enough to be nominated? And only happens to be in Esperanto. It looks to me like you're the looking for an opportunity to put out anti-Esperanto propaganda.

If a nominee was writing in some minor language, and maybe won, would you immediately think it was a positive discrimination act and people merely trying to promote it? If not, why not?

You are getting reflexively defensive and projecting your own preconceptions and biases. Calling what I wrote "anti-Esperanto propaganda" is frankly insulting especially when you didn't engage with any of the substance of what I said, which was not "anti-Esperanto" in the slightest. I don't hate myself enough to want to derail a perfectly lovely thread with some tiresome Esperanto argument, believe me.

Rather, I'm coming from the perspective of someone who happens to know quite a fair bit about the Nobel Prize in Literature specifically. It's not the Esperanto part, it's the whole using "nominated for a Nobel Prize in Literature" as a mark of recognition or prestige that I took issue with and summarized the reasons why, which I see no reason to waste my time repeating. It's just a PSA that if you see anyone trying to claim this as a signifier of something meaningful you should likely ignore it, and 100x more so when it refers to a supposed nomination that happened within the last 50 years. It's nothing like "nominated for Best Picture" or "shortlisted for the Booker", where these statuses already confer some amount of recognition and approval in and of themselves. The equivalent for the literature Nobel would be to be shortlisted in their deliberations (but again this won't be known until 50 years later).

The Esperanto part is only relevant insofar as it presents a very obvious motive for why people would repeat and amplify this claim. That's not "anti-Esperanto propaganda" to point out, that's just basic common sense. I've heard it repeated a few times over the years (which is why I have looked into it and why it caught my eye in this thread) and it's usually been in the context of some Esperanto debate where someone brings Auld up to defend Esperanto literature. I assume that's where Deinonysus heard about it too.

And for the record, though I think your post was made in bad faith, to respond to a couple things: the Prize is not awarded for a "particular work" but rather for a body of work. And while, as I said, nominations are pretty meaningless for this prize, if the Swedish Academy did award someone writing in a "minor language" I would probably celebrate it along with the other people who track this kind of stuff. The literature Nobel has a checkered and often controversial history and has a strong European bias--and that's on top of the broader bias of "world literature" as a whole towards more popular languages, as has been touched on by some others in this thread too.
7 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:14 pm

rpg wrote:You are getting reflexively defensive and projecting your own preconceptions and biases.

That old chestnut. Don't you want to add: 'shaking with rage and bitterness' to increase the vivid image that I'm just being irrational as compared to your cool reasining? I don't hide my disdain for tedious Esperanto knocking. You claim it isn't, however:
what I said, which was not "anti-Esperanto" in the slightest

Isn't quite helped by this:
In this particular case the narrative is obvious--Esperanto enthusiasts looking to claim more legitimacy for Esperanto as a language of literature.

This is hardly a neutral observation. It is 'obvious' to you that "Esperanto enthusiasts" (rather than just 'Esperantists') are always looking to claim legitimacy for the language as being capable of producing worthy literature. Perhaps so, because this is the sort of sneering they've always been up against.
rpg wrote:The Esperanto part is only relevant insofar as it presents a very obvious motive for why people would repeat and amplify this claim. That's not "anti-Esperanto propaganda" to point out, that's just basic common sense. I've heard it repeated a few times over the years (which is why I have looked into it and why it caught my eye in this thread) and it's usually been in the context of some Esperanto debate where someone brings Auld up to defend Esperanto literature.

Indeed I've heard it repeated and it's a really common remark referring to dozens of writers. It seems to me actual 'common sense' that such a nomination claim would be mentioned by people who would rather have it that Esperanto isn't sidelined, and some 'official' recognition (whose veracity you go to great pains to put into question) perhaps seems worth mentioning. People can take it for what it is.

Whose post was in 'bad faith' really?
0 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:51 pm

cito wrote:Honestly, I hope that doesn't become a trend. I get why some writers choose not to write in their NL, but if everyone starts writing in English, that would be a bit sad. English is lovely (it is my NL after all!) but I worry that some people choose utility/marketability above all else.

Cobbold moved to England when she was 19 and published her first book many years later, but still as long ago as in 1994.

Theodor Kallifatides emigrated from Greece to Sweden in his mid 20s, learned Swedish on his own, published his first book five years later, and is still writing. In Swedish.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:29 pm

I’ve always been impressed with Andrei Codrescu, a Romanian author, essayist and poet who only moved to the United States at age twenty, but nevertheless has amazing facility writing and speaking in English. (He was a long time commentator on NPR, so I’ve heard him speak.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Codrescu
2 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:13 pm

Le Baron wrote:Indeed I've heard it repeated and it's a really common remark referring to dozens of writers.
Which is all well and good, but you can't just ignore the factual statement that nominations are not made public because it has someone who appears to be predisposed to disregard Esperanto. You could counter with the fact that reputable newspapers made the claim (his WP page points to his obituary in the Telegraph) but you didn't -- instead you simply pointed to some of rpg's words indicating antipathy to Esperanto as an ulterior motive and implicitly presented that as a justification for disregarding the factual content.
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”