Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: UK quit Erasmus

Postby Cainntear » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:48 pm

Le Baron wrote:Secondly, because this is a common statement all over the internet and both comes from and is reflected back onto what people state in real life.

OK, well here's a general rule of thumb in a conversation: you respond to what people in the conversation say, and if you're introducing something new into the conversation, you do so explicitly. If you don't, and people call you out for tilting at windmills, that's on you.
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:01 pm

Cainntear wrote:OK, well here's a general rule of thumb in a conversation: you respond to what people in the conversation say, and if you're introducing something new into the conversation, you do so explicitly. If you don't, and people call you out for tilting at windmills, that's on you.

Unfortunately you misquoted me as claiming an absolute 'all people'. This was your error. So your response wasn't to 'what I said'. Which pretty much pensions-off the above utterance. Wouldn't you say?
0 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:08 pm

Le Baron wrote:
Cainntear wrote:OK, well here's a general rule of thumb in a conversation: you respond to what people in the conversation say, and if you're introducing something new into the conversation, you do so explicitly. If you don't, and people call you out for tilting at windmills, that's on you.

Unfortunately you misquoted me as claiming an absolute 'all people'. This was your error. So your response wasn't to 'what I said'. Which pretty much pensions-off the above utterance. Wouldn't you say?

Oh I'm sorry, I criticised you for saying something that you didn't say, which means that all my correct criticism is totally wiped out. My bad.
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:26 pm

Cainntear wrote:Oh I'm sorry, I criticised you for saying something that you didn't say, which means that all my correct criticism is totally wiped out. My bad.

Now if you can apply that same principle to Krashen, he can maybe get some respite.
0 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Return to “General Language Discussion”