How to Learn a Language without Studying

General discussion about learning languages
tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: How to Learn a Language without Studying

Postby tastyonions » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:00 pm

tiia wrote:Interesting enough, the video he made before is titled: "The Best Language Learning Apps (and Why Most Don't Work)"
Now I only skimmed through to find out which apps he mentions, I have not listened to the rest he was saying. Later noticed someone already listed the apps in the comments:
Beginner: Duolingo
Audio-based: LearningTransfer (free and limited) and Pimsleur (paid)
Vocab Building: Anki (traditional) and Glossika (listening, more advanced)
Speaking Skills: HelloTalk (free) and Preply (paid with teachers)
Reading: BeeLingua
Fluency: Podcasts (with active listening using Google Translate)

How are some of those apps "not studying"?

I guess some people think anything done without books can't possibly count as "studying."
4 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:15 pm

How is Anki 'traditional'? And why is Glossika 'more advanced'? I tried it for Spanish and it doesn't at seem 'more advanced' to me. They also make mistakes, as I found later on.
3 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:19 pm

Le Baron wrote:How is Anki 'traditional'? And why is Glossika 'more advanced'? I tried it for Spanish and it doesn't at seem 'more advanced' to me. They also make mistakes, as I found later on.

Cos anything older than the writer is considered "traditional" these days, particularly if it installs on a computer!!!
6 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:30 pm

Cainntear wrote:
Le Baron wrote:How is Anki 'traditional'? And why is Glossika 'more advanced'? I tried it for Spanish and it doesn't at seem 'more advanced' to me. They also make mistakes, as I found later on.

Cos anything older than the writer is considered "traditional" these days, particularly if it installs on a computer!!!

:lol: I knew I was old when someone told me e-mail is 'old-fashioned'. And indeed I have also been questioned as to why I am installing things on a computer.
5 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:31 pm

Agreed that Mr. K could and does count. Thanks for reminding me of him.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:36 pm

Severine wrote:I use Proton VPN (paid, about $5 USD per month) to watch region-locked public broadcasting available online. Works for Netflix and the like, too. I'm happy to help troubleshoot for anyone who wants to try this and has issues getting it working.
I've said in another thread that I use the free version of Proton VPN, and it works well for me.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:42 pm

rdearman wrote:Is that because of the distract cause by the Internet and reading forums. :)

How did you know? :shock:

Maybe having only two books and an audio cassette wasn't such a bad thing.

Indeed. Almost five years ago:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:The material may be everything you need, just not everything you want. What can you do under the "worst" circumstances?

What if the audiobook + book was all you had access to?

And six years ago:
iguanamon wrote:we have everything you need just not everything you want
7 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

alcarazesco
White Belt
Languages: Georgian (N)
English (C2)
French (B2)

Postby alcarazesco » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:33 am

The user says you can learn well without courses, textbooks, or wordlists. To each their own, I guess. But don't toss away your textbooks because this guy said so. It would take a lifetime to learn a language well with just stickers, weekly lessons on Preply from tutors who are often unqualified, and internet users with spelling problems. Even then, this method is a twisted, roundabout way to learn the same things you could've learned quickly and efficiently in a structured textbook. How many stickers and tutor lessons before you learn introductions, question formation, adjective placement, conditional statements, and relative pronouns? And a lot of things can't be stickied or babbled about, like ideas and things you can't touch. Study materials from qualified sources do a much better job of not only organising but presenting information you need at the lower levels.

The user is right about one thing, though: At some point, you should talk to natives to make progress. But that comes after you grasp the basics.
4 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:08 am

leosmith wrote:
Self talk

Although I rarely do this, I understand the benefits of it, and he explains them pretty well – you can do it any time, it’s free, less stressful, etc., when compared to conversing with a human. However, I don’t feel that this is necessary if you have a human, and he seems to indicate that this is a required step to get to the point where you can talk to people, or should be used to supplement real conversations, or something like that. That’s where we disagree.

Funnily enough, Krashen believes self-talk is the product of acquisition but doesn’t accelerate it (since that would be “learning”, which can never do anything other than affect the language monitor).
3 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:23 pm

Saim wrote:
leosmith wrote:
Self talk

Although I rarely do this, I understand the benefits of it, and he explains them pretty well – you can do it any time, it’s free, less stressful, etc., when compared to conversing with a human. However, I don’t feel that this is necessary if you have a human, and he seems to indicate that this is a required step to get to the point where you can talk to people, or should be used to supplement real conversations, or something like that. That’s where we disagree.

Funnily enough, Krashen believes self-talk is the product of acquisition but doesn’t accelerate it (since that would be “learning”, which can never do anything other than affect the language monitor).

Yep, and I do think Krashen's kind of the start of the mindset that leads us to this point.

Krashen's "acquisition learning distinction" kind of implies that studying means "learning", and if Krashen's point that learning doesn't work was to stand up to scrutiny, that fact that studying would only lead to learning would therefore imply it doesn't lead to language skill.

And then the corrupting logical follow-on from this appears:
If studying can't work, then by definition anything that does work can't be studying, so we have bro science influencers in the language sphere pointing to 40-year-old papers that don't actually give any data (if they point to any papers at all) and then adding "real world experience" that disagrees with the 40-year-old paper and then twist and reanalyse so that an illogical argument sounds sensible if looked at in a totally superficial fashion -- ie. "study doesn't work; this works; therefore this isn't 'study'."
8 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”