Learn 12 languages in 12 months? Right.

General discussion about learning languages
bolaobo
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin Chinese, German, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19845

Re: Learn 12 languages in 12 months? Right.

Postby bolaobo » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 pm

tastyonions wrote:Once you've gone through a good beginner textbook (thoroughly!) in French, meaning you've got the core stuff like all the "function words" and most common nouns and the verb system and the syntax, you're in a far easier position to move on to more advanced materials like newspapers or simple novels than you are when you do the same with German.

I did this experiment myself -- with French as my first foreign language and German my fourth! -- and the difference was stark. The "true friends" in French easily outweigh the (much overrated, in my experience) false ones.

I agree with this, as someone who studied German before French. Reading high-level text in German is much more of a chore with its less transparent vocabulary and its grammar is harder too with its multiple declensions and the sentence structure is sometimes dramatically different than English. The most common words in French are less transparent but you see them so often that they're eventually ingrained.
3 x
Perfectionnement Arabe: 12 / 70 New Arabic Grammar: 31 / 51
Le Grec Ancien: 15 / 101
Hindi ohne Mühe: 44 / 54
Le Persan: 86 / 86
Le Turc: 19 / 71
Tobira: 4 / 15

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:42 pm

Le Baron wrote:
Severine wrote:1. Between French and English, I would say that there is a somewhat low vocabulary transparency for core words of extremely high frequency (pronouns and prepositions are good examples, as Le Baron pointed out) but an impressively high transparency with more advanced words of lower frequency. Le Baron presents this as undermining the argument for transparency, but I disagree. This arragement is, in my view, much easier for learners than the inverse (lots of cognates for common basic words, fewer cognates for advanced words).

It can't possibly be easier. The core words are what you need to even operate and there is a huge number of them. It's no good having a load of free-floating cognates (many of which only look the same, but don't mean the same) when the words to stick them altogether and support them aren't there for the taking. And there's also a matter of the completely different grammar/syntax.

You are missing the point that several posters are getting at; I think emk said it most explicitly:
emk wrote:My original point (which I made jokingly, and didn't properly explain, sorry about that) was that after you pick up the most common 1,000 vocabulary words, then you've got a lot of the basic connective tissue and grammatical structure. But what about the next 10,000 words you learn? For an English speaker learning a Romance language, you get a huge fraction of those next 10,000 at a ridiculous discount.

The unfortunate news is that all this has to be learned, the hard way. Luckily all those other words don't so much.

The point is that in a language like French, the cognate discount is a heck of a lot of words, and many of the words that are not cognate you have to learn anyway. In German, the cognate discount is strongest really early on in learning and so it only speeds up the very earliest stages; in French, it might be marginally slower to start off with, but in the later stages a fair percentage of the low frequency vocabulary you're going to need to talk about anything even vaguely technical actually comes for free.
8 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:00 pm

Cainntear wrote:[You are missing the point that several posters are getting at; I think emk said it most explicitly:

Hi Cainntear. You are missing the point that I'm not actually missing any point. The roping-in of other language is a red herring, because the claim is transparency between French >English. Not 'as compared to...' other languages.

I already clearly said that a friend of mine learning English from a French background excelled only when it got to advanced vocabulary. Yet this requires that you first get over a large hill. There's no help from the advanced cognates with that.
0 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:07 pm

When I was a baby and small child my mother spoke to me, and my brother, in what was her natural language (French) and mothers tend to spend most time with children. The upshot being that when I started school (age 4) and the focus shifted to English I didn't even know the English words for quite a lot of simple things such as e.g. a toothbrush or a saucepan or socks or the normal way for ordinary sentences like being told to have a bath. Things my dad rarely said to us. These were just opaque and I even found some of them absurd initially. Yet in that magical child way I could already somehow 'speak English' even when not knowing quite a lot of English vocabulary for some things, but as a hindrance it felt enormous.

For me at that time I could make no real connection between the two as a functional day-to-day way of communicating. I obviously saw more and more of the common words during reading, initially comics, but this is long after being familiair with the functional base.

Maybe my experience is just not applicable to general L2 learning of French. I didn't learn it like I've learned any other language.
2 x
- Jonathan Swift

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:18 pm

Severine wrote:I'm not even sure I want to wade into this discussion about French transparency, but I can't help myself, so I will share two main thoughts and then nip out the back while nobody's looking.

1. Between French and English, I would say that there is a somewhat low vocabulary transparency for core words of extremely high frequency (pronouns and prepositions are good examples, as Le Baron pointed out) but an impressively high transparency with more advanced words of lower frequency. Le Baron presents this as undermining the argument for transparency, but I disagree. This arragement is, in my view, much easier for learners than the inverse (lots of cognates for common basic words, fewer cognates for advanced words).

If you're trying at all, you're going to learn he, she, they, for, with, to be, to have, to do, etc. no matter what, because you'll see them so often. You don't really need a discount with those words, so the fact that they're not similar, I would argue, doesn't matter.

The cognate discount is much more useful for rarer words, because once you know basic vocabulary and some grammar, those cognates provide enormous momentum and spare you a lot of work. Take a random headline I just grabbed off of LeMonde: Les écrans à l'école ou le règne des injonctions contradictoires. I consider 'school' and 'screen' pretty basic vocabulary, whereas 'contradictory', 'reign', and 'injunction' are not. However, all three of the latter are cognates, so a well-educated beginner anglophone French student should have no trouble with that sentence (and vice versa).

2. It's true that the grammar structure of French is very different, but much less so for English speakers with an advanced education and familiarity with a more old-fashioned, formal manner of speaking and writing.

A phrase structure like, "La situation dont nous parlons" is much less intimidating for someone who has read and perhaps even used structures like "the situation of which we are speaking." Do people speak like that today? Not many. But if you've read classic English literature at all, you've seen it. You don't need to speak that way yourself to recognize the structure as something you understand and have it click.

Same thing for pronouns like auquel, lequel, etc. If you know when to use 'who' and when to use 'whom', you won't have trouble conceptually with qui and que. And for those who have a solid mastery of English grammar, the concept of the pronouns y and en replacing structures beginning with à and de is hardly mystifying. If your teachers ever explained direct and indirect objects, it's not hard to understand when to use le/la vs. lui, and what they mean. I could go on. As it so often does, education pays off.

Similarly, the more expansive and advanced your English/French vocabulary, the easier you'll find advanced vocab in the other language, because the Latin-derived words that tend to dominate professional and academic speech provide a huge amount of overlap.

I would like to revisit ever so briefly this idea of language «transparency» due to the presence of cognates. For me, transparent has always meant «which one can see through». I’ve never seen the concept of transparency used in linguistics to somehow refer to easy to recognize or understand.

For example, English and French vocabulary share around 60% of cognates, so that should make French easy for an educated speaker of English. Such a person could supposedly easily get the gist of an article from a newspaper like Le monde or Le devoir without having studied French at all.

Similarly, since English is a so-called Germanic language, a speaker of English could in theory get a gist of an article from Der Spiegel just by looking at it. A French-speaker could do the same with the Corriere della Sera in Italian. And so on.

However the question here is what exactly is understood or what does a gist mean. Here us a title from today’s Le monde : Agriculture : après la flambée de colère, Emmanuel Macron cherche une sortie de crise durable. We have the cognates agriculture, cherche, sortie, crise, durable. What exactly would an English-speaker who has never studied French understand ?

This whole debate reminds me of the discussion about lexical coverage necessary to understand a text. If I recall properly, Paul Nation speaks of 98% coverage for optimal comprehension.

When it comes to actually speaking and writing the target language, I wonder how far the transparency of cognates gets us. How is pronunciation helped by the presence of many cognates ?

In a writing test situation, you will be often given a task to accomplish. For example, write a two paragraph e-mail letter to remind a customer that a payment will be automatically deducted from their bank account in the coming days and that they should make sure that there is enough money in the account. Pretty simple stuff. Can our same native speaker of English do this in French ?

How easily could a native French speaker who has never studied Spanish do this is Spanish given that Spanish and French have so much in common ?

This so-called transparency supposedly makes related languages very easy to learn. There is undoubtedly some truth in this. It makes sense that the more features two languages have in common, the easier it is to learn one from the other.

That said, easier does not mean easy. The complexities and subtleties of mastering a foreign language and then keeping the languages separate from others are such that learning a language, even a related one, requires a lot of work.

Edit on March 29, 2024: minor spelling mistakes
Last edited by s_allard on Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:01 pm

Le Baron wrote:The roping-in of other language is a red herring, because the claim is transparency between French >English. Not 'as compared to...' other languages.

If I'm following this thread correctly, I was the person who made the original "claim". This was actually a joke:

emk wrote:Even just native English → French transparency is huge. It's a standing joke in our household that you can just take any big English or French word, and change the pronunciation to get the other language.

Just to be clear, this was a joke. :-) And it was a joke in a bilingual household where everyone has a comprehension well above A2 in their weaker language, so everyone is assumed to know prepositions, basic verbs, etc. And the joke mentioned "any big ... word." Which in this case, is an extremely informal way to refer to "mostly Latin-derived vocabulary." And yeah, there are faux amis and so on, but there aren't too many that affect comprehension too badly, not compared to all the words that have fairly close meanings.

But the experience of going from English+French→Spanish is just so profoundly different from going from English+French→Middle Egyptian. You still have to put in some work for basic Spanish comprehension, as I know all too well! But one is a pleasant stroll up a hill, and the other requires pitons and a rope.

And I want to be fair: those first 1,000 vocabulary words can be hard if you don't have the right tools. Many young children and many students in school don't really know how to pick up 1,000 vocabulary words, except by a painful natural process. But if you use an Assimil course or an Anki deck or a word list or whatever, then you can get through the most common 1,000 words fairly quickly. The nice thing about that core vocabulary is that it appears constantly, everywhere.
4 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 pm

Le Baron wrote:
Cainntear wrote:[You are missing the point that several posters are getting at; I think emk said it most explicitly:

Hi Cainntear. You are missing the point that I'm not actually missing any point. The roping-in of other language is a red herring, because the claim is transparency between French >English. Not 'as compared to...' other languages.

In which case I'm tall. Really tall. Totally huge.
I may be a short-a**e compared to other people, but I'm not talking about the height of other people -- I'm talking about my height.

Just as my height doesn't mean anything without comparison to other people, the cognate advantage can only be discussed by comparison to other languages.

I already clearly said that a friend of mine learning English from a French background excelled only when it got to advanced vocabulary. Yet this requires that you first get over a large hill. There's no help from the advanced cognates with that.

Yes, and you told everyone that they were categorically wrong when they had fairly explicitly said that the cognate thing was good specifically because the difference in that hill isn't actually that big really.

You told us all we were wrong, then proceded to lecture us on things we'd actually already been talking about as though they were somehow proof that we were all wrong.

And having done that, you took the opportunity to have a dig at me while seemingly telling everyone you wouldn't be argumentative. After telling them, as I said, that they were wrong. To summarise "You're wrong, and you should all be glad I'm not feeling argumentative -- particularly that f***er Cainntear."
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:31 pm

s_allard wrote:I would like to revisit ever so briefly this idea of language «transparency» due to the presence of cognates. For me, transparent has always meant «which one can see throught». I’ve never seen the concept of transparency used in languistics to somehow referring to easy to recognize or understand.

For example, English and French vocabulary share around 60% of cognates, so that should make French easy for an educated speaker of English. Such a person could supposedly easily get the gist of an article from a newspaper like Le monde or Le devoir without having studied French at all.

Similarly, since English is a so-called Germanic language, a speaker of English could in theory get a gist of an article from Der Spiegel just by looking at it. A French could do the same with the Corriere della Sera in Italian. And so on.

However the question here is what exactly is understood or what does a gist mean. Here us a title from today’s Le monde : Agriculture : après la flambée de colère, Emmanuel Macron cherche une sortie de crise durable. We have the cognates agriculture, cherche, sortie, crise, durable. What exactly would an English-speaker who has never studied French understand ?

This is a very good point, and I was going to talk about similar stuff until I got distracted by seeing another poster taking a dig at me.

One of the issues with cognates is that they're not always immediately transparent as a single word, but the little transformations can obscure the cognate, and we're still left relying on clues from context to help us spot that it is a cognate.

eg Au cours des années 2010, the fact that "cours" is cognate with "course" isn't immediately obvious because "au cours de" is also slightly away from the English phrase "in the course of". The fact that au = à + le is OK if you know it, but the two differences are now the choice of preposition used and the simple number of words in the phrase. Then we've got "année" which isn't an obvious cognate because many English speakers wouldn't think of annual and anniversary as linked -- and if anyone doesn't believe me, they've clearly not heard people talking about their "one month anniversary". There's also the idiomatic difference -- the 2010s vs les années 2010. It's not readily obvious that the French is talking about the 2010s because the plural marker -s is sitting on "années", not 2010.

So I agree that transparency is a pretty problematic term.

I think the issue here is that clear demonstrations of abstract concepts are hard to come by, and a demonstration of word similarity focuses on a concrete feature and this is often passed around without explicitly stating the limitations.

But there has been an underlying theme in this thread of dealing with the cognate stuff honestly and sensibly -- most people aren't just saying "the words are easy so the language is easy", but rather "the words are easy so the words are easy, and that leaves you more time to deal with the rest of the language".
3 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 pm

Cainntear wrote:There's also the idiomatic difference -- the 2010s vs les années 2010. It's not readily obvious that the French is talking about the 2010s because the plural marker -s is sitting on "années", not 2010.

But even here, this sort of thing can be a huge help to a reader. If someone near B1 sees a French sentence saying, "People were fond of bizarre hair styles during les années 80" and another one saying "bell bottom jeans were a popular trend in the United States during les années 70", then I would hope that they pick up on the pattern. "The years 80" and "the years 70" might look weird if translated literally, but the cumulative effect of being able to puzzle out expressions like this is significant. Especially for input-based methods.

I will grant that "transparency" is a poor choice of terminology, because it ignores the work required to cobble together a basic A2-level passive understanding. And of course, you're only getting a 75-90% discount on major categories of vocabulary, and not a 100% discount on every category of vocabulary.

But still, the discounts can be pretty ridiculous. And this is important to remember how steep those discounts can be when giving or receiving language learning advice.
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:46 pm

Cainntear wrote:Just as my height doesn't mean anything without comparison to other people, the cognate advantage can only be discussed by comparison to other languages.

That makes absolutely no sense. It's a simple question about the alleged transparency between two languages. If I say 'this chair looks nothing like that chair' and you say 'it looks more like that chair than this even more different other chair!' This irrelevant comparison doesn't make the first two chairs somehow more alike. It's like saying someone is 'less bad' than some other 'very bad' person in order to somehow argue that person one isn't bad. This is completely failed logic.
Cainntear wrote:You told us all we were wrong, then proceded to lecture us on things we'd actually already been talking about as though they were somehow proof that we were all wrong.

Of course I did, because the claim is false. And no, you hadn't been talking about it at all.
Cainntear wrote:And having done that, you took the opportunity to have a dig at me while seemingly telling everyone you wouldn't be argumentative. After telling them, as I said, that they were wrong. To summarise "You're wrong, and you should all be glad I'm not feeling argumentative -- particularly that f***er Cainntear."

Ah right...right, I must have mis-characterised you as some guy who never engages in protracted and long-winded arguments. Maybe I got you mixed up with someone else.
0 x
- Jonathan Swift

Return to “General Language Discussion”