An alternative take on Krashen

General discussion about learning languages
Severine
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Latin (Adv.), Ancient Greek (Adv.) French (Adv.), Spanish (Int.), Russian (Int.), Italian (Rusty Int.), Mandarin (Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20198

Re: An alternative take on Krashen

Postby Severine » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:49 am

emk wrote:
Le Baron wrote:Can't believe that was published in a journal. The writing is terrible. Writing 'info' instead of information and lots of meaningless sentences.

I tried to look up more information on the journal where this was published. The information was conflicting, but external sites claimed the "impact factor" of the journal was 0.1. For every 10 papers published in the journal, there's an average of 1 citation in another paper. Depending on the field, typical impact factors of reasonable journals often range from 1.0-7.0.

An impact factor of 0.1 usually means one of two things: The journal exists to run up people's publication counts, or it's a niche journal in a field that doesn't interact much with larger journals in the anglosphere. There are two or three other clues pointing at the former.

Years ago, I worked as an editor at an academic publishing house. Many people who are talented researchers are rubbish writers or non-native speakers or both, and any journal with high standards for style and correctness employs editors either directly or on a consultant basis. Or, alternatively, they require the authors to pay for professional editing as a condition of approval.

Pay-to-play article mills with zero reputational impact are run on a shoestring and/or are built for maximum profit extraction, and will often publish articles as-is or with perhaps a run through MS Word spelling and grammar checker.

That doesn't mean that a poorly written/edited article doesn't have serious research behind it, but it's certainly a data point worth noting.
4 x
French ..... Read : 0 / 10000 Watch : 0 / 18000
Latin ........ Read : 0 / 5000 Watch : 0 / 9000
Russian .... Read : 0 / 2500 Watch : 0 / 4500
Mandarin .. Read : 0 / 2500 Watch : 0 / 4500

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:33 am

I read the entire thing and I am declaring that both the content was trivial (and more like a review or Wikipedia article) and it was poorly constructed. I have had a decent number of journal article publications (economics) and I've had articles rejected with more substance in the punctuation.

I find that many articles in the last 25 years or so are becoming increasingly not very good from a style perspective (though as Severine said editors generally work around this by asking for alterations after making suggestions), or that the content is specious and sometimes outright vacuous. There is proliferation of online journals now and it seems to me many of them are either vanity projects or as described above just vehicles for fattening up publication counts.
1 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:43 pm

emk wrote:I tried to look up more information on the journal where this was published. The information was conflicting, but external sites claimed the "impact factor" of the journal was 0.1. For every 10 papers published in the journal, there's an average of 1 citation in another paper. Depending on the field, typical impact factors of reasonable journals often range from 1.0-7.0
But it does suggest that this paper should be read on its own merits, rather than being assumed to be the Final Word of Science.

This has all the hallmarks of a student essay. It's maybe better than some of the student essays I saw in pre-sessional English for students intending to take English teaching, and I'm thinking it's probably an essay for a language teaching course.

It is absolutely, definitely a student essay, and not meeting the general criteria of a journal article -- it doesn't say anything new, and doesn't move the field on at all.

And if you don't believe me, just have a look at the author stuff at the top of the paper:
<<author name>>
School of Languages...
... student_number@university_name.edu.cn

Academics tend to get a proper email address....
5 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”