Present Perfect in Latin American Spanish

General discussion about learning languages
Hank
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Welsh (studying)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1833

Present Perfect in Latin American Spanish

Postby Hank » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:56 pm

Somewhere in my studies, I think I remember reading that Spanish speakers in Latin America generally don't use the Present Perfect tense. They use Preterite tense instead. Is this correct? If this is correct, can I assume that I would be understood while using Present Perfect even though it may sound odd?

I have reached the Duolingo lessons on Present Perfect and Past Perfect. Figuring this out seems like a nightmare right now. :lol: It took some study to even figure out the difference between Present Perfect and Past Perfect. I guess I don't remember much grammar from high school or college.
0 x
Future travel plans:
2020: Cruise to Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Present Perfect in Latin American Spanish

Postby tarvos » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:11 pm

They use the compound form a lot less, yes, though even here in Spain it depends on the region - where I live you hear the preterite a lot too.

They understand it. It's not a problem if you use it.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

mjfleck2000
White Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES (C1), Irish(beginner)

Re: Present Perfect in Latin American Spanish

Postby mjfleck2000 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:32 pm

Hank wrote:Somewhere in my studies, I think I remember reading that Spanish speakers in Latin America generally don't use the Present Perfect tense. They use Preterite tense instead. Is this correct? If this is correct, can I assume that I would be understood while using Present Perfect even though it may sound odd?

My experience is that they use the Present Perfect rather often. The people I speak with are from Peru, Guatemala, Honduras and the Canary Islands. I have noticed that they tend to use the present perfect in two situations:
1) Describe something that occurred in the past AND has an effect on the present. ie,I have studied the Spanish language (and as you can see, I am speaking to you in Spanish right now). If I used the preterite here it would have the feeling that I had studied it but I am not studying it anymore.
2) Something that occurred in the recent past.... recent as viewed by the speaker. ie,I have gone to the store.
The preterite is used often used to describe a specific action at a definite time in the past. ie, In March of last year, I bought a car. The preterite will have the feeling of a completed, over and done with it situation.

Those are my observations of how the preterite and present perfect are used. Different countries may have different ways that they use these two verb tenses. Hopefully, a native Spanish speaker will jump in here to enlighten us.

Mike
2 x
Mike in Vancouver

Return to “General Language Discussion”