Lost in Translation: A Beer Lover's Language Lesson

General discussion about learning languages
mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Lost in Translation: A Beer Lover's Language Lesson

Postby mentecuerpo » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:40 am

Have you heard the saying about 'liquid courage' helping with language learning?

I decided to put that theory to the test during my recent trip to Lille, France.

After polishing my French through an online course, a bit of 'Dutch courage' might be what I needed to overcome any lingering shyness and really immerse myself in the language. So, off I went to a cozy French bar, ready to blend in, chat with the locals, and see how well alcohol and language learning mixed. And let me tell you, the results were quite unexpected...

Where better to start than a local bar, right? I proudly ordered a beer in French, feeling like a linguistic genius. But as I tried to eavesdrop on the conversations around me, it was all 'hon hon hon' and nothing else.

By my sixth beer, I had a revelation – it wasn't my French that was bad, it was the French beer!

Next time, I'm heading to Germany. Even if I don't understand the language, at least the beer will make sense!

Anyway, I've found I'm far more talkative in England... especially after a few Scotches. Turns out, my best language might just be "Fluent in Scotch"!
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Lost in Translation: A Beer Lover's Language Lesson

Postby Iversen » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:10 pm

I once participated in an Esperanto congress in Lille, and I survived on Teyssière menthe and baguettes. I didn't try the beer, but so close to Belgium you could have expected it to be drinkable.
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Lost in Translation: A Beer Lover's Language Lesson

Postby Cainntear » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:47 pm

Personally, I've found that my language was traditionally best after 1 pint -- reduced inhibition helps, but reduced thought power and muscle control definitely doesn't!
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”