How to properly do L-R method, any help for my attempt appreciated.

General discussion about learning languages
Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: How to properly do L-R method, any help for my attempt appreciated.

Postby Cainntear » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:54 pm

Greasaias wrote:I always read Cainntear's post with great interest. In fact, they were instrumental in the development of my personal language-learning framework - my conversion, so to speak, to what I like to call Professor Paul Nation's Fourstrandism - and abandoning the follies of youth (Input-Onlyism). Four Strands or Death!
Thank you, Cainntear! I mean it.

:oops:
Why thank you!

This time, however, what you say goes directly against my lived experience.

Except it doesn't, because...
Cainntear wrote:how do you read a translation while listening?

I don't know, I just did. (Perhaps I didn't know it can't be done at that time. *smirks Shawly*)

See, I didn't say that following the two near-simultaneously was impossible, just that simultaneous attention is impossible.
Iversen wrote:The key is the length of the time slices and one's ability to read fast. I just switched on the sound on my TV to test this, and I may lose one or two random words every time a new subtitle pops up, but I can still hang on to the speech. And I have just watched silent Norwegian rescue people with subtitles while speaking to my sister on phone. That was not a problem.

I've highlighted the key term here: time slices. Timeslicing is a real thing -- switching from one task to another on the fly.

The thing is, most of us aren't aware that we're doing it. It used to be hard to describe this, but now we can use computers as an analogy.

Computers traditionally could only do one thing at a time. Now they have multiple cores and a dedicated graphics processor, so we can think of a computer as have two "channels": the main channel and the graphics channel. The graphics channel can only do one thing at a time, and the processor might have four cores that can act as indepedent channels, but each of those channels can only do one thing. (The graphics channel may be talked about as parallel, but last I checked it was a "single instruction, multiple data" architecture which lets the processor do one thing (=action) to multiple things (=pieces of data) simultaneously.
A computer can switch between these tasks so quickly that every single frame (which might be anything from a thirtieth of a second to under a hundredth) it does a truckload of tasks. We aren't aware of its process of reading the controller/keyboard and updating you player character, working through multiple enemy AIs to make them act as naturally as possible, updating the location of numerous flying objects, fiddling the voltages to make the precise sequence of movements in a loudspeaker to realise a sound, rendering each enemy, bullet or piece of scenery into a form that can be drawn to screen, drawing them individually on top of each other, etc etc etc.

We might not be as good at timeslicing as computers, but like computers, if we timeslice effectively, the switch of attention is something that goes unnoticed. Only it's not only the outside observer that doesn't notice: we ourselves can fail to notice.
Greasaias wrote:I was listening to a recording while looking at the corresponding translation. That's what was happening externally. As of what was going on in between my ears, I'm not sure. Was I a successful polyglot at that time? No.

But you were, to some extent, a successful learner, weren't you? And maybe that wasn't something that was trained into you, in the same way it wasn't trained into me. I've said on a number occassions that I was very distressed at home difficult I was finding French: it seemed like languages were the first school subject I was bad at. But I very quickly came to realise that we had all chorused "je suis, tu es, il est, elle est, on est; nous sommes, vous êtes, ils sont, elles sont", and that the length of time it took my classmates to work out the answer was proportional to how far down the list they were. Meanwhile, I was struggling with the ones on the second half of the list (which were actually a second column during lessons, as we were using the traditional verb table pairing singular and plural conjugations) and I got to thinking that we simply hadn't used them as much. I kept an eye out after that and basically proved my hypothesis to myself: we probably only had one or two translation exercises for each plural form, compared to 4 or more for each singular form.
I became aware that I was simply learning the words individually while my classmates were memorising the list and looking them up.

My big sister would insist that doing verb tables was the right way to learn verbs because she did it and it worked for her, but it didn't work for most of the pupils in the school -- I think there were only 5 of us in the Higher French class (first year of post-16, optional schooling), because pass rates at Standard Grade (16-year-old, end of compulsary schooling) were pretty low. My sister wasn't thinking about why it didn't work for others, so she wasn't aware of why and how it did work for her. Meanwhile, my dad was a damned good science teacher, and he was always looking for why and how his students failed, so was always trying to eliminate the possibility of doing things wrong.

So yeah... my whole thinking about superficial exercise descriptions goes right back to last century.

Based on that summary and partial elucidations scattered across myriad threads, I don't think there's anything in the L-R Method, properly understood, that goes again well-established language-learning practices - as far as I know them. And as far as I 'properly' understand L-R - which may or may not coincide with the originalist interpretation.

Well there isn't really, and my biggest issue is that instead of genuinely discussing those well-established principles, they're hidden inside a pretty rigid structure. In fact, they're well-enough hidden that there isn't strictly a requirement to actually apply them, so there is a way to follow the routine to the letter without actually engaging those principles at all. By analogy to my sister's advice, she was telling people to use verb tables but wasn't accounting for the fact that the most common error is memorising them as a list... which is also the most natural, easy way to learn a table, even if it's not particularly useful. Or another example: when Duolingo gets you to transcribe a sentence in your target language (or worse: pick the words from a very limited "fridge magnet" set), there's absolute nothing forcing you to think about the meaning; and even though they give you the meaning after you've completed the task, it's down at the bottom right of your screen in small writing, so you're not even prodded towards reading it.

The way I view it is not as an absolute framework, but a point on an intensity spectrum.

Which leads to another problem: name something, and it becomes "a thing". Once something is "a thing", people will look for a clearer definition of what "that thing" is. This often results in looking back to the originator of the term. I've had this discussion a couple of times with Iversen, with regards to Comprehensible Input. He doesn't believe in Krashen's ideas, but he's happy to treat it as a useful term that means something slightly different. But if you promote the term, people will look for "the thing" that it represents, and they will then declare that they've found "the source of the thing" and then attempt to correct people who have attempted to move away from a simplistic idea to a broader, more useful one. We can't change what L-R means, because there are increasing numbers of pages going back to the source.

This is pretty anti-scientific. No-one when discussing gravity is going to correct someone talking about universal gravitation because "that's not gravity -- Newton coined the term for something that was the same everywhere." And before anyone says it, this isn't simply because Newton came up with the idea of universal gravitation himself! To get rid of the "same author problem" though, consider Newton's laws of motion and things like inertia. Should we say a fast-moving object doesn't have "inertia" because it embodies Einstein's theory of relativity? Is relativistic inertia not "inertia" because that's a term related to Newtonian mechanics? Not at all.

But that doesn't mean there's any point in changing the meaning of things like L-R -- as I say, you're talking about it as "a thing" with some kind of tangible properties, and people are going to build an effigy to worship, rather than considering the bigger picture and all the complex issues underneath

It goes without saying that the L-R as generally interpreted is a mere technique, completely insufficient by itself.

No, it does not go without saying -- it needs to be said explicitly. I think you're ignoring the quite large number of people who have put that effigy on a pedestal and are asking for the right prayers to say to it. They are looking for instructions on how to perform the rituals, rather than looking at the variables and thinking about how to personalise it to their own specific needs and desires.
And like I say, the existence of a short name defines it as "a thing", which is what we call reification.

Nevertheless, this technique itself I found to work satisfactorily, occasionally splendidly.

Oh, absolutely. But...
Fine, but what did I really do while practicing the technique? I think it was similar to using pictures to understand a story, checking a definition of an unknown word when unsure about the meaning of a sentence, reading the translation beforehand etc. Context, in the broadest meaning possible. Anything that can elucidate the meaning of the text read.
Jumping over the gap - I like to call it the hermeneutic gap - between "getting it" and "not getting it" - I can't explain. It just happens.

Or... it just doesn't happen. If I can't tell someone how to do something, it's not generally a great idea tell them to just do it anyway: when they fail, it can't be my fault because my advice is good because it worked for me, so it must be their fault for not following my advice closely enough. But if I do say something, I'm going to be fairly vague, because I'm not going to pretend to know everything... because I don't.

And when use a shortterm, whether it be L-R, Comprehensible Input, or whatever, we may not be directly giving rigid structure, but it's a fair bet that the hearer will immediately go out and look for the "personification" of the reified concept.
6 x

TimButterfield
Languages: English (N), Russian (A1/2), French (study)

Postby TimButterfield » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:31 pm

I find the idea of L-R interesting and may attempt it. But, I wonder about it if L2 has the translated idea from L1 instead of being a direct translation. I wonder this because of what I have learned about some of the free Bible translations. The jw.org web site is translated into over 1,000 languages and their free Bible and other publications have many translations also, both written and audio. There is also the free JW Library app on the app stores to download both the text and audio for offline listening. I mention this because of something my wife, a native speaker of Russian, told me. If I'm looking at the Bible in my native English (from this source) and comparing it to their Russian translation, it is often not expressed simply as a direct translation. The Russian version often translates the idea of the English, but not word for word.

I suspect this idea translation is even more valuable than direct translation because it may more closely match how it would be stated by a native Russian speaker. And, of course, my goal is to sound as natural as possible. But, I'm not sure how this fits with using L-R.

For those that have used L-R, how do you feel about using idea translations instead of direct translations? Does it make it more valuable or less valuable?
1 x

Kamlari
Orange Belt

Postby Kamlari » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:00 pm

The whole business of learning a language boils down to this:

How to maximize personally relevant AUDIO INPUT and make it comprehensible.
INPUT: new texts per unit of time
(You start counting from the moment you began learning L2, sleep and everything else INCLUDED.)
Listening comprehension is THE BASIC skill. It has been so ever since humans appeared in this Valley of Tears.

L-R (Read L1, Listen to L2 without pausing the audio) is the fastest physically possible way.
It varies somewhat depending on:
1. ‘density’ – new words, idioms, grammar features per minute (or page)
2. length of the texts – the longer, the better (idiolect)
3. the narrator’s speech speed
4. the learner
“Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night.”

An old quote:
mjcdchess (The essence, the soul, the spirit of L-R – aYa)
It turns out this is an excellent method for learning chess as well. Although not really a language, application of this method has increased my chess strength in the short time I have been doing it.

using this method with chess you do not memorize anything. You simply go over the master games using a data base. You do not need to take lots of time on each move just watch the game as it progresses and soon you get more and more familiar with excellent chess and how it is played. You pick up structures tactics and everything.

its exactly like a language. I am not sure this is proper content for a language thread but learning chess this way is like learning chess "language"

{aYa: By the way, the same works for solving math/physics/astronomy etc. problems.}
2 x
Frei lebt, wer sterben kann.

J'aime les nuages... les nuages qui passent...
雲は天才である

1. There’s only one rule to rule them all:
There are no Rule(r)s.
2. LISTEN L2, read L1. (Long texts)
3. Pronunciation.
4. Delayed recitation.

orlandohill
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby orlandohill » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:55 pm

TimButterfield wrote:For those that have used L-R, how do you feel about using idea translations instead of direct translations? Does it make it more valuable or less valuable?
Ideally the two texts would be close enough that a sentence in the L1 text would have a matching sentence in the L2 text that expressed the same concept within the context of the piece of fiction or non-fiction. They shouldn't be word for word translations.

For example, if the L1 text had a character wishing someone a 'Happy Birthday', you would want the L2 text to use the appropriate idiomatic expression. In some languages, the phrase for wishing someone a happy birthday contains neither the translated word for 'happy' or 'birthday'.

I would try to avoid translations that rearrange the order of sentences within a paragraph, paragraphs within a chapter, etc. That would make things more difficult.
2 x

kundalini
Orange Belt
Languages: English (C), Greek (low intermediate)

Postby kundalini » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:40 am

Kamlari wrote:L-R (Read L1, Listen to L2 without pausing the audio) is the fastest physically possible way.

Thanks for the post, and it's nice to have the original author chime in. Can I ask why you recommend against pausing? Is your approach to keep playing the audio and try to understand as much as possible without worrying about how much? Seems like the density of audio in a given amount of time is the most important factor in this approach. How do you feel about not stopping the audio, but looping, perhaps at a sentence level, as described in the link in a previous post?

http://www.jonkenpo.net/method-listenin ... -japanese/

I read a sentence in English. I click the mp3/wav file in L2 (language I’m learning, say Japanese). The mp3 file is looped, I don’t stop listening. I need to hear/understand how many words there are in the sentence I’m listening to, what is the grammar of the sentence, what sounds, pitch, intonation. I use the parallel text, and if necessary a mouse-over pop-up dictionary. Let me stress once more: I don’t stop listening.

Finally, I imagine that the kind of focused attention demanded by L-R is rather difficult to sustain, and might be subject to burnout. Have you found this to be a factor?
0 x
Iliad: 12 / 24
French Super Challenge Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pages)
French Super Challenge Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 minutes)

orlandohill
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby orlandohill » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:14 am

Another tip. Look after your eyes. Staring at a light-emitting screen all day is unhealthy. Take breaks. OLED screens are better than LCD and CRT. Paper is good. E-ink is even better because you can adjust the font size.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:54 pm

I would definitely prefer word-to-word translations to 'free' translations. I call the 'free' (or 'idea') ones 'pretty' because they may be faultless in the translation language - but their purpose basically is to cover up a lousy illoyal translation to appeal to people who don't know the original language and couldn't care less. For instance I have always wondered why people would trust a Bible in their own language blindly when they know that it has been translated - maybe even from a translation of a translation. And there is no more reason to trust a literary translation, but the consequences there are probably less pernicious.

Doing L-R with free translations is simply absurd - you could just as well drop the whole concept then. The classical argument for lousy illoyal pretty translations is that some idiomatic expressions don't mean what you might expect from their words, and yes that's true. So getting the intended meaning in a footnote or between parantheses is not a problem, but using such a translation means that you don't learn how the native speakers think - and the lexical units you end up with become long and contrived if one unit has to cover a whole expression. And once you know the meaning of all the components you can mostly see the logic behind it - the real problem is that you couldn't have guessed that such an idiom existed. You have to discover it first from input.

As for continous speech or pauses: I would prefer pauses on demand - and preferably the possibility to let a passage repeat itself with one key press. Those pauses can be used to let the content sink in, but also to discover that you did't get something - and then a repetition might be a good idea. However the idea behind L-R as I have understood it is not to understand everything - instead you try to mobilize some kind of pattern recognition mechanism in your brain, and an avalanche of input may be one way of doing that IF you also use translations and transkriptions to help you. As I have written above I don't do L-R myself for want of materials, and if I did I would only do it when I already had some limited skills in the target language - which in my case primarily would be reading skills and some theoretical knowledge. But at that point I need an avalanche of spoken input to make my head buzz (another of my favorite nonscientific, but useful terms!) because I know that it then starts to produce output in the form of silent sentences by itself. And then it just takes a conscious decision to say them aloud...

So even though I don't use L-R in its canonical form I'm fairly close to using some of the techniques involved in it.
2 x

Greasaias
Yellow Belt
Languages: Polish(N)
Learning: Japanese, Latin, Irish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19259

Postby Greasaias » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:40 pm

Cainntear wrote:Computers

A different metaphor came to my mind: a movie - motion (moving) picture.
"The pictures are static, actually. The only thing moving is the reel." Well, of course. But when you watch the film, things move.
It depends how you slice it (and whether you look from inside or outside?). I used ~1 s slices - and it seemed I was reading and listening simultaneously.
Anyway…

Cainntear wrote:you were, to some extent, a successful learner

Yes, and I got where I am independently, i.e. other people did assist me, but it was me leading the process.
But I don't know why I succeeded while not being experienced.

I agree about the verb tables. Indeed - you can do almost (what a beautiful word) everything and make it work. And you can perform the best exercise - and gain nothing.
(Still I think L-R is a bit different - at it's 'worst' it says 'read and listen; start with the simplest texts possible; do re-listen and re-read.') [But see X below]

Cainntear wrote:Which leads to another problem: name something, and it becomes "a thing".

Sure. Perhaps I created an impression of promoting L-R. Perhaps I even did so (since I posted in the thread).
My objectives were presentation, exposition, and elucidation of what I know or think about L-R in order to help answering the question in the thread's title. If I were trying to advertize it and sell it claiming that my interpretation of L-R - manifestly divergent from the common perception of it - is the only correct one, then you would be quite correct.
I don't like the term CI either and avoid it like the plague.

a)
Cainntear wrote:[Using a term despite disagreeing with that it espouses] is pretty anti-scientific. (…) you're talking about it as "a thing" with some kind of tangible properties, and people are going to build an effigy to worship, rather than considering the bigger picture and all the complex issues underneath

I don't think we should be anti-scientific, obviously.
I wrote "The L-R Method", "Orthodox L-R", etc. - many different terms - precisely to point out that one can look at the issue from different angles. (Obviously my angle is best.)

b)
Kamlari wrote:1. There’s only one rule to rule them all:
There are no Rule(r)s.

*proceeds to list 3 additional rules*
I think this is a very good way to put it.

c) I'm convinced (have been growing more convinced) that all advice is like Zen koans.
Again, referring to the 'hermeneutical gap' I mentioned. How do you help someone jump over that gap?
I don't know. Which is why, besides from framing my posts in caveats and imhos, I always have in mind a specific person whom I address: a self-motivated independent learner.
Which is also why I try to expound on a given method, explain the nitty-gritty if necessary, and so on, but at some point, even if the description remains 'superficial', I stop.

What I intended to convey is "this is what I know of L-R, this is what I think about it. Make of it what you will."

Cainntear wrote:quite large number of people who have put that effigy on a pedestal

To be honest (and to defend "L-R" a bit), the only people adamant about L-R that I recall is the creator of (the many) L-R threads (possibly more than one person, but who knows). An old forum user 'Volte' was pretty enthusiastic about it, but I wouldn't call her a die-hard L-Rer.

Cainntear wrote:Or... it just doesn't happen.

I explicitly stated that it worked for me, but I do not recommend it. What else could I add? "This is how you do it, try it if (and only if) you want, but don't blame me if it doesn't work." - Perhaps I am fault for simply mentioning it… But this is a thread about L-R, after all.
Am I blaming the learner? I would prefer to frame it differently: I'm blaiming the incompatibility between the learner and the technique.

X: "Just listen and read" - seems impossible to misinterpret; yet I'm sure it isn't so. Quite the contrary.
A: Just listen and read!
Socrates: Should I pause?
A: No.
Socrates: So I should listen to the entire recording - say, one chapter - straight, in one sitting?
A: No. In fact, loop the recording as necessary.
Socrates: Right… What am I supposed to do, again?
A: Read while listening without pausing looping as necessary.
Socrates: So I shouldn't *just* listen and read, correct?
A: Look, just drink the damn hemlock and let's get it over with!
0 x
Read aloud - and don't forget to think!

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:38 pm

kundalini wrote:Can I ask why you recommend against pausing? Is your approach to keep playing the audio and try to understand as much as possible without worrying about how much? Seems like the density of audio in a given amount of time is the most important factor in this approach. How do you feel about not stopping the audio, but looping, perhaps at a sentence level, as described in the link in a previous post?

I see it as an extensive method over a short period, such as a long weekend, or a few more days. (Kafka over the course of 3-4 days has been mentioned.)

Intensity is the key factor. You won't get through a book+audiobook a couple of times in a few days if you are pausing all the time (or looping ...).
6 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Kamlari
Orange Belt

Postby Kamlari » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:55 pm

LR for Grasshoppers. Written by Volte.
https://lrgrasshoppers.tiiny.site

Hard core LR experiments. A short html document in English.
2 x
Frei lebt, wer sterben kann.

J'aime les nuages... les nuages qui passent...
雲は天才である

1. There’s only one rule to rule them all:
There are no Rule(r)s.
2. LISTEN L2, read L1. (Long texts)
3. Pronunciation.
4. Delayed recitation.

Return to “General Language Discussion”