Delodephius
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaking: Slovenčina (N), Српски (F), English (C2);
Understand: Čeština (B2), Македонски (B2), Slovenščina (B1);
Learning: Русский (B1), Old Slavonic;
Dabbling: German, Polish, Latin, Cl. Greek, Hebrew

My linguistic Holy Grail

Postby Delodephius » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:58 pm

And many other treasures I seek, but, let's start with this one. I wouldn't know how else to call it.

There's a thing I want to see written in languages I'm interested in, in beautiful calligraphy, frame it, and put in on my wall, so I can marvel at it every day. I still haven't decided which text, maybe the UDHR, or the Heart Sutra, or a selection of sayings by Confucius or Mencius. But I would like to see this text written on four separate pieces of finest paper: in Modern Japanese, Classical Japanese, Classical Chinese, and Kanbun Kundoku. With a red seal of the author in the corner of each.

It may seem silly, but I find just looking at texts without reading them to be somewhat therapeutical. A form of meditation if you will.

I'm also looking for books, bound in hard covers, printed in high quality fonts, or even handwritten, to just have them, like some people posses jewellery - I wish to posses written words. Wouldn't you? :D
6 x

solocricket
Orange Belt
Languages: My good languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), Italian (reading knowledge)
Languishing Languages: Dutch (~B1), Icelandic (delapidated passive intermediate skills), Yiddish (basic passive), Japanese (smattering of reading knowledge, lots of vocab, maybe I'll get back to it someday)
Studying: Polish (A1)
Wish List: Chinese, Urdu, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew... yep
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5502

Re: My linguistic Holy Grail

Postby solocricket » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:09 pm

I'm sure this isn't *quite* what you're talking about, but I certainly have tons of lovely books in languages I can't read, and I love having them. I even have a portion of the Kalevala! (that one's a proud achievement..)
2 x

TheArtist
White Belt
Languages: English (Native), French (No idea. Maybe intermediate?), Japanese (Early beginner)

Postby TheArtist » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:25 am

It's funny you'd mention that you find looking at the Japanese and Chinese calligraphy meditative since in the traditional Japanese tea ceremony it's a tradition for the server and guests to meditate over a piece of Japanese calligraphy and study it before beginning the ceremony itself.
3 x

druckfehler
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Korean (B2), Persian (A2), Portuguese (passive A2/B1) , French (remnants), Mandarin (bits and pieces)

Postby druckfehler » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:44 pm

Delodephius wrote:I'm also looking for books, bound in hard covers, printed in high quality fonts, or even handwritten, to just have them, like some people posses jewellery

That is how people who collect antiquarian books must feel... These books are often words of art and pretty pricey... When I first saw the antiquarian portion of the Frankfurt book fair I was blown away at the sums people obviously seem to pay to get hold of beautiful books... :)
2 x
Korean Grammar in Use:
: 0 / 93 Intermediate
: 0 / 85 Advanced
Portuguese Audiobooks:
: 2 / 24 Minha História by Michele Obama
Duolingo Portuguese:
: 72 / 125 Level 2
: 66 / 100 Stories

Delodephius
Orange Belt

Postby Delodephius » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:43 pm

solocricket wrote:I'm sure this isn't *quite* what you're talking about, but I certainly have tons of lovely books in languages I can't read, and I love having them. I even have a portion of the Kalevala! (that one's a proud achievement..)

I bought "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" in Latin and Classical Greek, just because it's so awesome that someone translated it! :D
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:55 pm

Delodephius wrote:
solocricket wrote:I'm sure this isn't *quite* what you're talking about, but I certainly have tons of lovely books in languages I can't read, and I love having them. I even have a portion of the Kalevala! (that one's a proud achievement..)

I bought "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" in Latin and Classical Greek, just because it's so awesome that someone translated it! :D

Not quite the same, but I have seen and intend to someday buy the bilingual French/Latin Winnie the Pooh.
3 x

solocricket
Orange Belt
Languages: My good languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), Italian (reading knowledge)
Languishing Languages: Dutch (~B1), Icelandic (delapidated passive intermediate skills), Yiddish (basic passive), Japanese (smattering of reading knowledge, lots of vocab, maybe I'll get back to it someday)
Studying: Polish (A1)
Wish List: Chinese, Urdu, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew... yep
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5502

Postby solocricket » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:07 pm

Delodephius wrote:

Oh man, I've actually been wanting both of those for quite some time!
2 x

Delodephius
Orange Belt

Postby Delodephius » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:23 pm

TheArtist wrote:It's funny you'd mention that you find looking at the Japanese and Chinese calligraphy meditative since in the traditional Japanese tea ceremony it's a tradition for the server and guests to meditate over a piece of Japanese calligraphy and study it before beginning the ceremony itself.

I did not know that and I'm glad I do now. Thank you. I'll look into it.
As it happens, I bought a set of Chinese/Japanese brushes for calligraphy and plan to take a course in learning how to do it myself. Then I'll make some tea and look at my own paintings. :D
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”