Green Belt
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: French, Japanese
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: Korean, Mandarin
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18968

Irish isn't cool? Says who?

Postby Sizen » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:22 am

So there I was, doing my usual thing: watchin' some YouTube, havin' a good time, when all of a sudden, I came across something so strange and fantastic that I couldn't help but look into it.

It would seem that a certain Irish language school is making a name for itself by throwing the biggest, most rocking-est parties during their summer courses. Now what's really amazing is that the students essentially participate in making a music video, in Irish, where they cover the biggest songs of the moment. And many of them get hundreds of thousands, if not millions of views each.

Now maybe I'm just late to the game and everyone was already aware of this, and maybe I just don't know much about the Irish speaking community. But to me, this seems like a somewhat big deal. They're obviously not going to single-handedly get everybody to speak Irish again (and that doesn't necessarily have to be the point), but just making Irish cool and accessible to kids is already something. I don't even listen to much popular music and these videos still somehow manage to get me excited about Irish. If I were a young Irish boy, I would sign myself up for classes at this school immediately.

Here's their website and channel. They've covered quite a few songs (from Taylor Swift to Tiësto to Macklemore), so be sure to check them out if this kind of thing is up your alley.
8 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Irish isn't cool? Says who?

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:10 pm

See, I don't like these. I think Irish needs more original content to survive. Sure, it'a neat they're translating pop songs, but few, if any, are going to listen to the Irish version over the original. They need to create their own pop songs, originally written and composed in Irish. They have done two, as far as I know. Also, how bad is it that Irish can only seem 'cool' when English material is translated? Doesn't seem to show a healthy language to me.

The same holds true with writing as well.

As to attending classes there: it's expensive and not everyone can afford it. That's why many don't go to Lurgan, though they do usually go to another summer school in the Gaeltacht.
6 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:59 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:Sure, it's neat they're translating pop songs, but few, if any, are going to listen to the Irish version over the original.

I guess I'm the exception. I've spent countless hours on Youtube singing along to TG Lurgan. Now and then I hear something on the radio and realise that it's the first time I hear the original in English... 8-)

This being said, I'm agree with you that it would be good if you could hear the Irish language in use by actors and bands whom people find... "cool" enough.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

solocricket
Orange Belt
Languages: My good languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), Italian (reading knowledge)
Languishing Languages: Dutch (~B1), Icelandic (delapidated passive intermediate skills), Yiddish (basic passive), Japanese (smattering of reading knowledge, lots of vocab, maybe I'll get back to it someday)
Studying: Polish (A1)
Wish List: Chinese, Urdu, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew... yep
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5502

Postby solocricket » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:10 pm

I've seen these music videos before, but I never really watched them-- they're quite good! I love the song Cheerleader, and that kid's a pretty good singer :) I think language certainly needs original content to survive, but these kinds of translations might spur someone on to learn the language when they might not have thought of it before, so I think it's a good thing to have around.
0 x

Sizen
Green Belt
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: French, Japanese
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: Korean, Mandarin
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18968

Postby Sizen » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:38 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:Sure, it'a neat they're translating pop songs, but few, if any, are going to listen to the Irish version over the original.

Judging by the number of views, the thumbs-up ratio and the comments they get on some videos, I don't think this is quite the case. People love this stuff and admit themselves that they prefer the Irish versions.

galaxyrocker wrote:Also, how bad is it that Irish can only seem 'cool' when English material is translated? Doesn't seem to show a healthy language to me.

I'm no Irish expert, but from what I can tell, Irish isn't a healthy language.

There must be people trying to make their own original music in Irish, and there must be people trying to make Irish seem cool in other original ways. It's just that not many, if any, have made it big yet. [citation needed]

To you, this process of covering popular English songs may seem artificial, and that's because it is. I won't deny that. But if it can make a Canadian of distant Irish heritage who's never been to Ireland, such as myself, get hyped up about the Irish language, imagine the effect it has on some Irish kids? These are their favourite songs, and maybe now they'll listen to them in Irish on repeat and have the Irish lyrics memorized instead of just the English ones. Until original music takes the place of these covers, this might very well have to do.

It may not be ideal, but it's not nothing.
2 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:44 pm

Sizen wrote:I'm no Irish expert, but from what I can tell, Irish isn't a healthy language.

See, that's the problem. You recognize that. However, there's a lot of Irish, especially within the government, who don't. They look at the number of views and people in the Gaelscoil (who don't actually learn a deep level of Irish) and say that Irish is 'healthy' and 'growing'. As if translating stuff from English into Irish is what makes the language 'healthy'.

There must be people trying to make their own original music in Irish, and there must be people trying to make Irish seem cool in other original ways. It's just that not many, if any, have made it big yet. [citation needed]

I can think of, maybe, three or four pop songs that have been composed in Irish since I've been learning, which is almost 5 years. None of these have made it big, even in the Gaeltacht circles. People just get so much more excited when Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran's latest gets translated. That's a problem.
1 x

Alphathon
Orange Belt
Languages: • Scottish English (native)
• German (intermediate; ≈B1)
• Scottish Gaelic (beginner)
• Dutch (beginner)
◦ Doric Scots (passive understanding; I can’t really speak it)
◦ Hopefully some day: NDS/FY, SV, GA, CY, BR?, BSL, ES, FR?, ZH, JA, KO, ≥1 Slavic (RU?, PL/CZ?)

Postby Alphathon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:15 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:I can think of, maybe, three or four pop songs that have been composed in Irish since I've been learning, which is almost 5 years. None of these have made it big, even in the Gaeltacht circles. People just get so much more excited when Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran's latest gets translated. That's a problem.

Part of the problem is how music becomes popular. While some of it is of course down to the artist and the writing and so on, a lot of what makes something popular is ubiquity, which is achieved through promotion by the record labels (which are mostly massive multinationals). They almost certainly aren't going to promote something in a minority language over something in English unless they have a damn good reason to as there's simply more money to be made.

The same problem, albeit to a lesser degree, exists in other countries whose native languages are far healthier. I just took a look at the current German top 40 and only 2 out of the top 10 were in German, and out of the whole top 40 only 8 were in German (one was in French and the rest were English). The French chart is a similar story. Both of these countries have populations where <100% speak English well, so even if Ireland were to become 100% bilingual (English and Irish), there would still be immense pressure from the UK and US music industries and the most popular songs would still in all likelihood be in English.

Is it a problem? Sure. Is it one that can be solved? Probably not without either Ireland completely rejecting English or the English-language music industry collapsing (neither of which are going to happen any time soon). For the time being though, I think this is great (even if I do hate that kind of music). It may not be a sign of the language's health, but it may well improve it.
2 x
German/Deutsch
Der kleine Hobbit: 6 / 19
Star Trek - Das nächste Jahrhundert: 25 / 178
Scottish Gaelic/Gàidhlig
Scottish Gaelic in Twelve Weeks: 9 / 12
Speaking Our Language, Series 2: 7 / 18
Dutch/Nederlands
Duolingo: 37 / 64

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:43 pm

Alphathon wrote:Part of the problem is how music becomes popular. While some of it is of course down to the artist and the writing and so on, a lot of what makes something popular is ubiquity, which is achieved through promotion by the record labels (which are mostly massive multinationals). They almost certainly aren't going to promote something in a minority language over something in English unless they have a damn good reason to as there's simply more money to be made.

The same problem, albeit to a lesser degree, exists in other countries whose native languages are far healthier. I just took a look at the current German top 40 and only 2 out of the top 10 were in German, and out of the whole top 40 only 8 were in German (one was in French and the rest were English). The French chart is a similar story. Both of these countries have populations where <100% speak English well, so even if Ireland were to become 100% bilingual (English and Irish), there would still be immense pressure from the UK and US music industries and the most popular songs would still in all likelihood be in English.

Is it a problem? Sure. Is it one that can be solved? Probably not without either Ireland completely rejecting English or the English-language music industry collapsing (neither of which are going to happen any time soon). For the time being though, I think this is great (even if I do hate that kind of music). It may not be a sign of the language's health, but it may well improve it.

See, though, this would make more sense if I was talking solely about radio play. But with Youtube anything could go viral. But people would still rather share the latest translation because "OMG T-SWIFT" than share original Irish music.

I never expect Irish-language music to be played outside RnaG, RF, RnaL, and the various hour long Irish-only sections. But it can go viral on Youtube, as these videos show. Except they're more worried about the translations.

And, personally, I don't really see how it could help the language. Sure, people get interested in a language because of its music... but is that truly Irish music and culture? What happens when the novelty of it wears off?

Or maybe I'm just super pessimistic and cynical about the fate of Irish. I truly do hope it survives, I just don't see this as helping.
3 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Canada has a Canadian Content Law in a (futile) effort to try and stem the tide from the colossus of the south.
...Commercial, community, campus and native radio

English-language and French-language stations must ensure that at least 35% of the Popular Music they broadcast each week is Canadian content.

Commercial radio stations also have to ensure that at least 35% of the Popular Music broadcast between 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday is Canadian content. ...

I believe in free speech and freedom of choice but kudos to Canada for at least trying to make it possible for their own music to be played. Although this is becoming less and less relevant as more and more people simply bypass over the air radio (and television) in favor of streaming, itunes, youtube, etc.

Cross posted with galaxyrocker.
3 x

FreeEasy
White Belt
Languages: English (N)

Student of:
German, Japanese

Postby FreeEasy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:27 am

I had this TA in school who was fanatical about Irish. He loved it. It was pretty interesting considering he was Japanese. I never did ask him what got him into Irish.

The language is a pretty interesting one! I can't think of too many VSO languages off the top of my head.
0 x
Die Verwandlung : 1 / 3
RTK Vol. 1: 11 / 56

Return to “General Language Discussion”