Latin conversio

General discussion about learning languages
Benjamin mccabe
Languages: English

Latin conversio

Postby Benjamin mccabe » Tue May 30, 2023 8:12 pm

Just wondering if anyone can help , with a project, i am trying to find the correct translation from latin to cornish
Of the motto
Aut Vincere Aut Mori
Victory or death
I have the Irish translation but trying to find the correct wording in Cornish
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Latin conversio

Postby Iversen » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:10 am

You'll never catch those who know some Cornish with a title line purely in Latin - and those who know both Latin and Cornish are probably not that common either so any prospective bidder might have to work from the English translation. By the way: is your Irish version "ceachtar bás nó bua"? In that case it would also include an "either".

I do know some Latin, but had to ask Wikipedia to give me the name of the Cornish language in Latin - seems to be "Lingua Cornubica", so "Latin translation into Cornish" would presumably be something like "Translatio linguae latinae in linguam cornubicam" (ye less rusty Latinists: feel free to propose alternatives). And sorry, I have absolutely not an inkling of an idea about what your sample text would look like in Cornish. :?
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Latin conversio

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:49 pm

Iversen wrote:And sorry, I have absolutely not an inkling of an idea about what your sample text would look like in Cornish. :?

Didn't someone talk about Cornish at the first or second Polyglot Gathering? I remember someone saying that there were something like seven or eight orthographies, so, good luck with that translation.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “General Language Discussion”