Language Learning When Unwell

General discussion about learning languages
無限時間
Languages: English
Japanese (N5-N4)

Language Learning When Unwell

Postby 無限時間 » Fri May 26, 2023 9:27 pm

What methods do you use when you are free and want to learn but have a stomach ache, sickness, or headache? Is there anything that helps you push forward and get things done, like a song or a video or something else?

(Note: specifically referring to feeling slightly unwell, I think significant pain or sickness should not be included.)
2 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: Taking a siesta from this site for the rest of 2024.

Re: Language Learning When Unwell

Postby lavengro » Sat May 27, 2023 4:46 am

This is not directly responsive to your question, given that when I am feeling unwell, sick or headachy I just don't turn to language study.

But if I am simply feeling tired or particularly when I am really distracted by real life stuff, work concerns, etc., I generally turn to one of three music videos available on Youtube, to get centered, to clear my mind, to change mental pathways from the woes of the outside world or just to try to get pump up with energy - I have watched each of these music videos likely over 200 times, I am surprised Youtube does not charge me rent.
Last edited by lavengro on Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
This signature space now dedicated to Vancouver's best - but least known - two person female power rock band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbymC_M1AY, ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Av4S6u83a0

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Sat May 27, 2023 4:51 am

When I am unwell I tend to focus on extensive listening. I do this when I have nightshifts or am otherwise intensely busy as well.
4 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sat May 27, 2023 5:02 am

Likewise. As a general rule, I just listen and wait. To actively combat headaches, I make sure that I run, eat and doze off at least once (all while listening) to help nudge the process along.
3 x

fromaalborg1
White Belt
Languages: Danish (native), English (fluent), French (learning)

Postby fromaalborg1 » Sat May 27, 2023 7:30 am

無限時間 wrote:What methods do you use when you are free and want to learn but have a stomach ache, sickness, or headache? Is there anything that helps you push forward and get things done, like a song or a video or something else?

(Note: specifically referring to feeling slightly unwell, I think significant pain or sickness should not be included.)

Radio. I can lie down and zoom in or out without it mattering.
2 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Sat May 27, 2023 8:50 am

If I don't have a fever (in which case I have no choice but to lie down and recuperate), feeling unwell doesn't stop me from studying (which is mostly extensive immersion-style activities anyway). The habit of learning languages every day is too entrenched at this point, I can't help it.
4 x

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Sat May 27, 2023 10:39 am

I been unwell over the last week.

I ended up tranlsating a song from Vietnamese into English. My focus and energy was shot, so it was something small yet still useful and rewarding, because it gave a short term goal, I liked the music and was interested in what the lyrics meant. The music video had subtitles, so I just translated those as I went along. And then I've been able to listen to the music accompanied by my translation. Else, I think everything else was passive, like listening to music. So I think the two things are, something small, achieveable and gives you a goal that you can go back to and understand better without straining yourself (and is okay to do in chunks if it's that bad) and anything passive. Anything requiring memorisation or anything cerebral is a 'no' for me
2 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

Gaoling97
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (Advanced), Chinese (Intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18675

Postby Gaoling97 » Sat May 27, 2023 12:23 pm

If I am feeling unwell but well enough to still do something, I'll just do less intense activities. No making Anki cards or writing essays. Just laying in bed watching YouTube videos is enough.
2 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Sat May 27, 2023 12:46 pm

In ultramarathons, racers will typically use a combination of running and walking. Language learning is an ultramarathon. Run when you can, walk when you need to.

Taking a short break can give your brain time to digest what you've been learning. I often find that I become more comfortable with the material I've been studying after a short break.
7 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

無限時間
Languages: English
Japanese (N5-N4)

Postby 無限時間 » Sat May 27, 2023 4:45 pm

Gaoling97 wrote:If I am feeling unwell but well enough to still do something, I'll just do less intense activities. No making Anki cards or writing essays. Just laying in bed watching YouTube videos is enough.

This is a good mindset, even when you feel bad doing small steps helps to reinforce everything! I think that's best when you have a cold or are really sick
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”