The forbidden language: a documentary on the Occitan language

General discussion about learning languages
nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

The forbidden language: a documentary on the Occitan language

Postby nooj » Tue May 02, 2023 9:24 pm

If you don't know Occitan, you can read the subtitles in French. The kind of Occitan spoken in the documentary is a variety of Lengadocian (the central variety).

A mix of native speakers of the oldest generations, for whom Occitan is their native language...to heritage speakers...to new learners.

9 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

gzt
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Esperanto (B2), French (B1). Not learning: Sanskrit (A1), Attic Greek (A1), Russian (A1).

Re: The forbidden language: a documentary on the Occitan language

Postby gzt » Tue May 02, 2023 10:07 pm

I like how the automatically generated subtitles on Youtube will often say [Musique] when they speak in Occitan.
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue May 02, 2023 11:57 pm

gzt wrote:I like how the automatically generated subtitles on Youtube will often say [Musique] when they speak in Occitan.

It also does that on videos when there is applause or heavy rain or a police siren. :lol:
1 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

gzt
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Esperanto (B2), French (B1). Not learning: Sanskrit (A1), Attic Greek (A1), Russian (A1).

Postby gzt » Wed May 03, 2023 4:36 pm

Well that's less fun, then!
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu May 04, 2023 1:06 pm

Entertaining to hear the language while reading the French. It sounds like a mix of Italian, Spanish and French to my ears (FYI I have never learned Catalan nor Italian but have heard plenty of spoken Italian). With my mainly French learning background plus a pinch of Spanish, it seems to me that were there an immersive situation (unlikely, I know), it'd become quite transparent in a relatively short time to any speaker of a Romance language. To those who already speak Catalan, I'd expect comprehension to be close to transparent right from the get go.

I hope it comes back with a vengeance and gives the French state the middle finger on the way! ;)

Edit:
Occitan is tempting me...
6 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Fri May 05, 2023 5:13 pm

Thanks for sharing the video, very interesting.

PeterMollenburg wrote:To those who already speak Catalan, I'd expect comprehension to be close to transparent right from the get go.

Not totally transparent though. Maybe for a native speaker of Catalan it will be easier, but although I understand spoken standard Catalan pretty well, and speak both French and Spanish, there were often parts of the video I struggled with. Certain words and expressions, as well as morphology, seems quite different to modern standard Catalan at least. The phonology however seems a lot closer to Catalan than to French or Spanish.
5 x
Ich grolle nicht

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed May 10, 2023 6:21 am

Ogrim wrote:Thanks for sharing the video, very interesting.

PeterMollenburg wrote:To those who already speak Catalan, I'd expect comprehension to be close to transparent right from the get go.

Not totally transparent though.

Yeah, I probably jumped the gun a little on that one, after all, when all is said and done, at the end of the day, when it comes down to it, sorry, I'll cut to the chase... it is indeed a separate language and not a dialect (of another romance language, Catalan included).

Hope you are well Ogrim. ;)
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”