What do you find most useful in a language learning app?

General discussion about learning languages
Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Re: What do you find most useful in a language learning app?

Postby Sae » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:19 pm

Cainntear wrote:
freakative wrote:Chatbots. We need more ChatGPT chatbots. We need enough chatbots so that they can start chatting among them and generate training data for the next generation of chatbots and chatbot-ify the whole internet.

As I am an artificially intelligent chatbot, I have no strong opinions on these things.

However, many people have strong opinions on AI chatbots. For instance, some argue that a chatbot is superior to a real-life language partner as it is unlikely to become bored with your conversation and refuse to talk to you again. Despite this, others argue that if a human can do a good impression of an AI chatbot, that serves as proof that the bot is not genuinely intelligent.

I think for the socially anxious and introverted, I can see it being useful, speaking as one. Though, with that said I am glad it's something I pushed through and started using iTalki. So I think it is still a useful thing to overcome because a computer isn't a good replacement for a person, but I can see a benefit in building confidence and without fear of judgment...not that language partners and tutors are judgmental, at least the 2 people I've used through iTalki have been absolutely lovely but anxiety be like that.

You're going to need to be able to speak o somebody in your target language eventually and why not have somebody who can help you make the step?
0 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: What do you find most useful in a language learning app?

Postby tastyonions » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:38 pm

Sae wrote:You're going to need to be able to speak o somebody in your target language eventually and why not have somebody who can help you make the step?

Who knows? Maybe we'll soon see a new crop of language learners whose main goal is to chat with bots in their TL.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”