What do you find most useful in a language learning app?

General discussion about learning languages
Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Re: What do you find most useful in a language learning app?

Postby Henkkles » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:22 am

TSS42 wrote:
BaneDaymare wrote:Hi there! I'm currently learning a new language and I'm using a language learning app to help me. I'm curious to know what you guys find most useful in a language learning app? Is it the user interface, the pronunciation exercises, the grammar explanations, the vocabulary exercises, the gamification elements, or something else entirely? Please share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below. Thanks in advance!

You really think you're the first person trying to do a little market survey here?

I wouldn't even mind if it resulted in the kind of an app that Serious Language Learners would use. However, such a product will never see the light of day because once they start testing on "normal people" (i.e. not language obsessed people) they will hate it because it would demand them to apply themselves.
5 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:25 am

sporedandroid wrote:I saw a pretty similar post on Reddit.

Please report it so we can take care of it next time we see it. We're not fans of the marketing research either.
3 x

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:39 am

Henkkles wrote:
TSS42 wrote:
BaneDaymare wrote:Hi there! I'm currently learning a new language and I'm using a language learning app to help me. I'm curious to know what you guys find most useful in a language learning app? Is it the user interface, the pronunciation exercises, the grammar explanations, the vocabulary exercises, the gamification elements, or something else entirely? Please share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below. Thanks in advance!

You really think you're the first person trying to do a little market survey here?

I wouldn't even mind if it resulted in the kind of an app that Serious Language Learners would use. However, such a product will never see the light of day because once they start testing on "normal people" (i.e. not language obsessed people) they will hate it because it would demand them to apply themselves.

Same. I have been increasingly tempted to try and throw something together myself as I am a developer, but main thing stopping me is that it'd take up time from my target languages.

But I am finding myself tempted to put together some simply easy to make tools and share them. Because I think there can be tools that would be legit useful to use. Though of course I want language independent tools.
3 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:52 am

The market researchers usually never even end up building the app they promise anyway.

If they're meaning mobile apps, I don't think I've ever come across a language-learning-specific one that I've actually found useful, unless Anki counts - it's not specifically for languages but I expect that to be its most common use. Reviewing flashcards from anywhere is handy for sure. Maybe WordReference (dictionaries) counts too, but their app is just a very thin wrapper around their web pages.

I do use DuoLingo (I don't want to start yet another anti-Duo debate, but in a topic about apps it's hard not to mention it) but the mobile version is basically useless except maybe for absolute beginners. The web version is acceptable; still not great, but I get value from it despite its many faults and I've not found anything that does what it does any better so I keep using it.
2 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:49 pm

Henkkles wrote:
TSS42 wrote:

I wouldn't even mind if it resulted in the kind of an app that Serious Language Learners would use.

I wouldn't mind it if it was honest.

There's plenty of people who've come in and talk about what they'd love to do, and that's fine -- a lot of us tend to respond when people say things outright. The fact that the OP appears to be doing market research basically clashes with the content of the message, and it really grates when done that way.
1 x

freakative
Languages: Spanish (N), Danish

Postby freakative » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:41 pm

Chatbots. We need more ChatGPT chatbots. We need enough chatbots so that they can start chatting among them and generate training data for the next generation of chatbots and chatbot-ify the whole internet.
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:41 pm

Polyglot shocks the language learning world with his new app

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo_CO8HfOIY
https://www.youtube.com/c/ikennamusic
https://fluyoapp.com/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/55 ... yo?lang=de
scroll down for details
Fluyo: A language learning game like no other
Become fluent in a new language while having fun, playing games and meeting others.
1 x

sirgregory
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish
Studies: German, French

Postby sirgregory » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:40 pm

The most useful apps for language learning tend to be general tools or content apps rather than apps specifically for language learning. YouTube, Netflix, podcast apps. Reading apps with a built-in dictionary. Flashcard apps, if that's your thing.
2 x

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:41 pm

Kraut wrote:Polyglot shocks the language learning world with his new app

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo_CO8HfOIY
https://www.youtube.com/c/ikennamusic
https://fluyoapp.com/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/55 ... yo?lang=de
scroll down for details
Fluyo: A language learning game like no other
Become fluent in a new language while having fun, playing games and meeting others.

I am subscribed to his channel and been following the app for a while. I think what he's put together is a good idea and I hope it does well and how well his Kickstarter is going I hope is a good indicator.
0 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:06 pm

freakative wrote:Chatbots. We need more ChatGPT chatbots. We need enough chatbots so that they can start chatting among them and generate training data for the next generation of chatbots and chatbot-ify the whole internet.

As I am an artificially intelligent chatbot, I have no strong opinions on these things.

However, many people have strong opinions on AI chatbots. For instance, some argue that a chatbot is superior to a real-life language partner as it is unlikely to become bored with your conversation and refuse to talk to you again. Despite this, others argue that if a human can do a good impression of an AI chatbot, that serves as proof that the bot is not genuinely intelligent.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”