Speakers of Iberian-Romance languages. What does Asturian sound like to you?

General discussion about learning languages
nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Speakers of Iberian-Romance languages. What does Asturian sound like to you?

Postby nooj » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:12 pm

I made this short video, based on just a handful of the examples offered by the Atlas Sonoru de la Llingua Asturiana, starting from the eastern most towns and going to the south west. I purposely excluded the Galician language of Asturias, on the far left marked in purple, also called Galician-Asturian, and kept to the varieties that one would reasonably call 'Asturian language' proper.

Asturian is an endangered language belonging to the Astur-Leonese language family which is spoken in two Iberian countries (Portugal and Spain).
2 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Speakers of Iberian-Romance languages. What does Asturian sound like to you?

Postby Iversen » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:23 pm

To me Asturian sounds like Castellano with more u sounds in it and quite a few mysterious words - and apparently mostly spoken by elderly people who also might have been fairly hard to understand in Standard Spanish. I could understand it, but I had to concentrate hard.
3 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Speakers of Iberian-Romance languages. What does Asturian sound like to you?

Postby iguanamon » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:27 pm

To my ears, it sounds more like Portuñol- heavy on the "ñol" and much lighter on the "portu".
3 x

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:37 pm

Iversen wrote:quite a few mysterious words

You speak both Portuguese and Spanish. Are there any words in the Asturian clips that you don't recognise in Spanish, but you don't recognise from Portuguese either?
1 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:57 pm

I don't have time today to analyse the whole video, unfortunately. The word "gochu" stands out to me, which I assume is some kind of Asturian pork. I assume "tar" to be a contraction of "estar".

edit: Of course, being a vegetarian, sausage making does not appeal to me as a topic, :)
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:46 pm

I didn't write any words down, but I listened once again to the first lady (the one who spoke about a church) and jotted three words down.

The first was churlo, which apparently means "canvas spice bag" in Spanish. That's a word which I could have missed for the rest of my life if it hadn't turned up here. But I can't see how that interpretation fits into the context. My immediate hunch was that it was a parallel to French "gueule" (dirty word for mouth), and right after that "gola" (neck, collar) from either Spanish or Portuguese - but still not quite what I had expected. If I had an Asturian dictionary I would definitely have looked it up.

The second was "rumbaras", which I at first listening just passed over as something like chaos or a general mess (maybe a reference to the Cuban dance 'rumba'), but the second time I heard it as a parallel to the indefinido of Spanish "romper" or some other Spanish verb. It seems that 'rumba' is based on a verb that may have meant 'throw' - anyway I ended up hearing that somebody had two women and amidst some turmoil left one and departed with a third one ... and lived in sin thereafter because there wasn't a church in the neighbourhood.

The third one was "chulo". At first I thought that it had to be something edible from Latinamerica, but in the context that idea had to be dismissed. Then it had to be a negative way to characterize men who had mistresses. Anywhay, I have looked it up now and found that it exists in both Spanish and Portuguese, but I didn't immediately recognize it - however the meaning apparently is close to the one I ended up with.
0 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:48 pm

iguanamon wrote:I don't have time today to analyse the whole video, unfortunately. The word "gochu" stands out to me, which I assume is some kind of Asturian pork. I assume "tar" to be a contraction of "estar".

edit: Of course, being a vegetarian, sausage making does not appeal to me as a topic, :)

“Gochu” means “pig”. :)
2 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Nogon
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), Swedish (C), English (?), French (A2), Esperanto (A2). Reading Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Afrikaans. Wanting to learn Polish, Yiddish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16039

Postby Nogon » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:40 pm

To me - not a speaker of Spanish or Portuguese - it sounds like Spanish with lots of extra "sh"-sounds.
1 x
Assimil French : 65 / 113
Active wave : 15 / 113

Odair
Yellow Belt
Languages: en (C1), fr (B2), es (C1), it (B1), pt_br(N)

Postby Odair » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:07 pm

It sounds like Spanish with an accent. I could never tell it was a different dialect from listening alone.
1 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:49 pm

Nogon wrote:it sounds like Spanish with lots of extra "sh"-sounds.
Same here. Spanish with dodgy S's.
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Return to “General Language Discussion”