Correction... how useful...?

General discussion about learning languages
Irena
Green Belt
Languages: Serbian (N), English (C2), French (C1), Russian (C1), Czech (C1), dabbled in a couple of others, dreaming of many others

Re: Correction... how useful...?

Postby Irena » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:46 pm

tractor wrote:Having said that, I don't think that the teacher (or a language course) should necessarily teach all the details from the very beginning nor that every minor pronunciation error that a beginner makes should be pointed out. Nitpicking about non-phonemic differences can wait.

Agreed. You need learners to become functional users of their target language in hundreds of hours, and capable of functioning at the normal adult level in the low-to-mid thousands of hours. That's a small-ish fraction of what a native speaker gets growing up. Of course you have to cut corners.

Which suddenly reminds me: apparently, Russian and English have a different t. Or so claimed some linguist from the Russian Academy of Sciences in a popular lecture that I watched on YouTube a couple of years ago. ;) Mind you, this is just the ordinary t. Not the English th, not the soft Russian t'. Just your ordinary t. Apparently, those are a little bit different in English and in Russian. And any teacher who spends time on this in an ordinary language course is wasting the students' time.

Though funnily enough, I tried pronouncing some English and Russian words with t in them, and it seems that I do in fact place my tongue in a slightly different place. Maybe I unconsciously picked this up over the years. For English, that is. For Russian, I assume I just use the ordinary Serbian t. The linguist didn't comment on that, but I assume Serbian and Russian have the same t. ;)
2 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:55 pm

Cainntear wrote:So are you suggesting that having a different phoneme map from a native speaker doesn't mean you haven't learned the language wrong...?.

If their pronunciation is correct, I see no reason to claim that they've learnt the language wrong. If their pronunciation is correct, how do you know that their phoneme map is different from that of a native speaker?
Cainntear wrote:What is the right thing in the beginning?

The right thing is obviously the way native speakers speak. Beginner mistakes are not the right thing, whether it's incorrect pronunciation or incorrect grammar.
1 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:44 am

Cainntear wrote:the OU English course talked about Cockney English (an accent that evolved out of French medieval colonists so has no /h/ phoneme)

Can you provide any source for this claim (that Cockney h-dropping is due to the influence of medieval French or Anglo-Norman, or because Cockney evolved out of that)? I couldn't find anything myself.
0 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:46 am

Irena wrote:Which suddenly reminds me: apparently, Russian and English have a different t.

Yes. In English it is pronounced along the alveolar ridge, in Russian it is pronounced just before the teeth. It is also by default aspirated in English.
2 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:09 am

tractor wrote:
Cainntear wrote:So are you suggesting that having a different phoneme map from a native speaker doesn't mean you haven't learned the language wrong...?.

If their pronunciation is correct, I see no reason to claim that they've learnt the language wrong. If their pronunciation is correct, how do you know that their phoneme map is different from that of a native speaker?

OK, fair enough. However, I think the gap between our positions is starting point vs end point.
Cainntear wrote:What is the right thing in the beginning?

The right thing is obviously the way native speakers speak. Beginner mistakes are not the right thing, whether it's incorrect pronunciation or incorrect grammar.

Which is correct, clearly, but how do we get there?

Errors are inevitable early on, as is patently obvious. But which errors can be corrected early, and which corrections are important -- i.e. which corrections are necessary to lead you down the path towards talking how native speakers talk?

This is why I favour phonology over "accent". You can make something that sounds superficially very similar to the target sound, but do it a fundamentally flawed way. If you take a superficial approach, that doesn't call for correction. But if you ask yourself why and think forward, correction becomes different.

For example, after finishing MT, I took formal classes in Spanish. I started at post-beginner (because I figured my weaknesses in phraseology would be addressed by knowing similar phrase in two other Romance languages that would be more than transferrable) and my /d/ sounds were probably corrected more than others' were. I didn't care because I knew mine were better.

The teacher would accept alveolar [d] and dental [ð] as correct, whereas I was making a point of using an apico-dental phoneme. (I just remembered apico-dental and googled it to make sure I was using it right. I'm going to use it repeatedly now to make sure I don't forget it again, so I'm sorry in advance if this is boring!!)

English /ð/ is a true dental (tip of the teeth) and English /d/ is alveolar (not touching the teeth, instead touching the flesh-covered bony ridge in the roof of the mouth. Spanish /d/ is apico-dental, meaning the tongue touches the gumline of the tooth (I hate the term apico-dental personally as to me the tip of the tooth is the peak, not the gumline, and my brain refused to stop seeing "apico" as anything other than "peak"). My classmates were using English /ð/ and English /d/, and I'm deliberately using the phoneme marks // instead of phone marks [] because I am convinced they were considering them different phonemes. Why was I convinced? Because when reading something they would specifically ask "is that d or ð?" they had a hard distinction and they were acting in a way that was consistent with believing that one letter could denote two distinct phonemes. The thing with allophones is that they're context dependent, and /d/ in an intervocalic (between vowels) position is realised as [ð] and in a non-intervocalic position its [d] and the native speaker doesn't choose between phonemes, but automatically selects the allophone based on context. [Note: I deliberately made a distinction between "choosing" and "selecting" here as I feel that the word "choice" implies more agency.]

Meanwhile, I had reasoned through it and decided that if I was to learn /d/ as a phoneme and [d] and [ð] as allophones then I had to start by taking an "architype" of the phoneme (which in the case of /d/ is [d]) and then get my brain and muscles to learn to be "lazy", because the intervocalic [ð] allophone is at its heart an attempt to pronounce [d] that doesn't quite make it and "rounds off the corners" -- the [ð] allophone has the tongue moving towards the [d] allophone position, but it doesn't quite make it there.

I could only do this because I had been studying linguistics, and although it was done in a course on English language, the course was very cleverly designed to do multiple jobs, so English phonology was used as a demonstration case for linguistics that applied to multiple languages. As I said before, languages tend to have a tendency to either reduce vowels or to reduce consonants, and the whole thing about English schwa was deeply embedded in that context, so when I started on the post-beginner Spanish course about a year later, I was extremely conscious of that.

So if I said an intervocalic D in Spanish, I would consciously, deliberately overpronounce it, resulting in what the teacher detected as a [d] allophone which she would correct to [ð] allophone, but she never ever corrected people who were using the English /ð/ phoneme or English /d/ phoneme.

I have frequently been mistaken for a native speaker. I have no proof that the above is a necessary precondition to doing that, but I am convinced that it's a major part of what made me so good at Spanish.
2 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:25 am

Dragon27 wrote:
Cainntear wrote:the OU English course talked about Cockney English (an accent that evolved out of French medieval colonists so has no /h/ phoneme)

Can you provide any source for this claim (that Cockney h-dropping is due to the influence of medieval French or Anglo-Norman, or because Cockney evolved out of that)? I couldn't find anything myself.

Hmm... I think this was something that the History of English module taught, and I'm sure I saw something about it on TV later too, but I can't provide a verifiable source. I do know that the what is now the east end of London was settled by the mercantile classes that had immigrated to serve a French-speaking gentry at the time. And the fact that I'm not saying Norman probably hints at the founding of the settlements post-dating the Norman conquest considerably. That said, I'm now thinking that the TV program may even have commented on the merchants actually being the only true French speakers in England, due to their language not qualifying them for upper-class status, but being close enough to qualify as middle class.

Regardless of the specifics, I am 100% certain that the origin of Cockney H-dropping is due to French ancestry.

What is ironic about that is that the upper classes have basically regained their H, which leads to posh people insisting that "an hhhhhhotel" is definitively correct and therefore correcting both Cockney "an otel" and rest-of-English "a hotel" while also displaying slightly xenophobic attitudes, completely ignorant of the fact that "an before h" was a rule that originated when ze 'igher classes didn't 'ave an 'aitch in their speech....

Side note: I do worry that the internet is hiding good information, as uninformed stuff tends to be repeated more often than decent science, and therefore received wisdom is getting less and less wise with time....
0 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:41 am

Saim wrote:
Irena wrote:Which suddenly reminds me: apparently, Russian and English have a different t.

Yes. In English it is pronounced along the alveolar ridge, in Russian it is pronounced just before the teeth. It is also by default aspirated in English.
Making mental note of this observation as I've always preferred the pronunciation of Esperanto speakers from you both's linguistic backgrounds to those of mine.
Cainntear wrote:[Note: I deliberately made a distinction between "choosing" and "selecting" here as I feel that the word "choice" implies more agency.]

A thoroughly delightful post and with the bit I quoted, my mind tells me, "you're back". :D (whose emoji I've just discovered includes the adjectival prefix "very").
Cainntear wrote:Side note: I do worry that the internet is hiding good information, as uninformed stuff tends to be repeated more often than decent science, and therefore received wisdom is getting less and less wise with time....

This and the other substance of your post reminds me of an entertaining experience I had with a girlfriend many years ago. I mentioned that a brontosaurus had a brain in both its head and its tail. She asked me for proof. I dutifully went back to the children's book section in the public library and checked out the evidence. We continued to get along well after that.
0 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:34 pm

Cainntear wrote:Side note: I do worry that the internet is hiding good information, as uninformed stuff tends to be repeated more often than decent science, and therefore received wisdom is getting less and less wise with time....

....aaand now I've dragged myself right off-topic, cos I've gone looking on the internet for the alternative theory of the etymology of the term "castellano", and I can only find the "received wisdom" version.

Received wisdom:
Spanish is called "castellano" because it originated in the kingdom of Castille, which is named after the castles in it.

Alternative theory:
Spanish is called "castellano" because it originated as a lingua franca between traders, and so literally it was "Castlese". The kingdom was named after the people, not the other way round, and the people had taken on the name of the language as a label of identity.

The classical story is most probably the wrong way round, because prior to relatively recent times, lands were named after their people, not the other way round (eg "England" is "the land of the Angles" and "Scotland" is "the land of the Scots") but historical border expansion has meant that the original "where the Franks live" meaning is well clear of the mark in a France that incorporates land where Vikings settled (Normandy), Basques lived, Celts lived etc etc etc. Some of newest countries (Germany and Italy) are named after ethnic groupings in order to justify themselves.

But these recent country namings appear to support the language-named-after-country way of thinking, but they're isolated cases, and really only happened very recently.

So which seems more likely: that over a millennium ago, a country that had castles in it was found surprising enough in a time when all countries had them that it was called "Castleland"; or the lingua franca used to do trade in cities was named "Castlese", and when people came to speak "Castles" natively they called themselves "Castelans" and then came to call their country "Casteland"...?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:54 pm

Cainntear wrote:So which seems more likely: that over a millennium ago, a country that had castles in it was found surprising enough in a time when all countries had them that it was called "Castleland"; or the lingua franca used to do trade in cities was named "Castlese", and when people came to speak "Castles" natively they called themselves "Castelans" and then came to call their country "Casteland"...?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit ...

:lol:
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:35 pm

Cainntear wrote:So which seems more likely: that over a millennium ago, a country that had castles in it was found surprising enough in a time when all countries had them that it was called "Castleland"

Well, the country was at war with the Moors, so it doesn't seem so far-fetched that the (originally small) region was especially fortified. The region expanded in the process of regaining control over the peninsula and the name stuck.
The alternative explanation seems to me to require more assumptions or steps without much evidence to support them.

Btw, when did the term "castellano" itself first appeared?

Cainntear wrote:Regardless of the specifics, I am 100% certain that the origin of Cockney H-dropping is due to French ancestry.

In the meantime, I'm going to treat this as a hypothesis (or should it be an 'ypothesis?). Cockney dialect is said to have originated among the working class of the East End of London and later influenced by all sorts of immigrants coming into region (including, of course, the French ones). The H-dropping is not that uncommon in different languages evolution to have arised independently.
Last edited by Dragon27 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
5 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”