Correction... how useful...?

General discussion about learning languages
Irena
Green Belt
Languages: Serbian (N), English (C2), French (C1), Russian (C1), Czech (C1), dabbled in a couple of others, dreaming of many others

Re: Correction... how useful...?

Postby Irena » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:13 pm

Cainntear wrote:Of course you don't know, because you haven't taken a Michel Thomas course.

And the only reason there is illness in the world is because people refuse to take an aspirin pill per day. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iversen wrote:Student preferences undermine the idea that there is one single thing which could be called "teaching well". As a teacher the best you can hope for is that your teaching style is relatively OK for the majority of your pupils/students while still leaving room for those who for some reason can't accept it. And that's where I was lucky: I had teachers that did their thing at the blackboard, and then I just studied for myself at my desk unless they disturbed me.

Exactly.

Iversen wrote:Along the way I have found out the fossile errors is a myth: the thing that has fossilized is the complacency of the learner. You are in a better position to correct an error when you already know a language reasonably well, but precisely at that point you may be too satisfied with what you have got to bother.

Maybe... But at least psychologically, it's easier to get it right early on than it is to fix errors later. At least for me.
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:04 pm

Irena wrote:
Cainntear wrote:Of course you don't know, because you haven't taken a Michel Thomas course.

And the only reason there is illness in the world is because people refuse to take an aspirin pill per day. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Except that you're dismissing MT's techniques having never witnessed them.

To correct your analogy, you're the one saying that aspirin can't cure headaches without ever having taken aspirin.
0 x

Irena
Green Belt
Languages: Serbian (N), English (C2), French (C1), Russian (C1), Czech (C1), dabbled in a couple of others, dreaming of many others

Postby Irena » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:47 pm

@Cainntear

Okay, so I tracked down some pirated version of MT French on YouTube. He starts with some guru-like introduction about how it's incredibly important to be relaxed, and then he says he'll give you the time (i.e. you should stop the recording) to think how you say the stuff he asks you to say (I'm not sure how that's not accuracy over fluency, but whatever). Then he starts the course. Since I already speak French, I could just about make sense of what he was talking about. Am I about to use this for a language I'm trying to learn from scratch? No. And if I decide I need a guru, I'll go look for a guru, not for a language teacher. But hey, if it works for you, then by all means use it. Personally, I'd much rather be given a textbook with written information, plus the accompanying audio. Oh, and why am I supposed to listen to those two non-native speakers?? In a classroom setting, it's inevitable. But in a self-study program like this? Why??
2 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:57 pm

Iversen wrote:
Cainntear wrote:Teaching well is neutral to student preferences. A student who values fluency over accuracy will benefit because being able to effortlessly get the syntax write means they can speak faster and be more comprehensible.

Student preferences undermine the idea that there is one single thing which could be called "teaching well".

Some people prefer sugary foods. This does not disprove the healthiness of a low-sugar diet.

I argue frequently that learner differences are overstated.
Learner preferences are a form of prejudice -- if someone say "this can't work because it doesn't use the techniques that I believe are necessary," they're hardly going to give the technique a fair chance.

Yes, teachers have to account for learner preference and try to work round it. If someone is genuinely resistant to doing things in a more effective manner, you either change to match them (if it's one-on-one) or you give them their money back and let them be on their way (if it's a class, cause you can't sacrifice the other students because of one person's rigid thinking).

But the other real learner difference is that different learners may have different tolerance to suboptimal teaching, and this is my real point here. The fact that students can succeed despite certain gaps is in no way proof that they succeed because those gaps were there in the first place. If you fill those gaps, they don't have to go to the effort of filling them themselves, so they have more energy to devote to actually learning. Filling a gap is only working out what to learn -- it isn't ever "learning it".

For example: I had a one-hour lesson in a new language as part of my CELTA. The idea was to give us first-hand experience of going into a language classroom with zero language knowledge, and to have the language taught to us monolingually.

I did worse than the rest of the class. Why? Because I took the opportunity to genuinely approach it as a "no L1" classroom. I barely learned any of the concrete vocab the teacher had brought props for. My classmates knew lots of words and could give them... but they could also express "the Finnish for key is..." and the like.

Basically, they had used L1 in their heads and had connected the L2 words to the L1 equivalent. I have second-hand experience of people learning in a way that looks "monolingual" on the surface, but their responses seemed to me to suggest that they had actively used L1->L2 translation as a strategy for success.

I therefore believe there is no such thing as a genuinely monolingual classroom or an individual learner whose style can by genuinely tagged as "monolingual".

The problem with the monolingual classroom is that the teacher isn't giving an L1->L2 translation strategy or equivalence mapping, and the student is free to develop their own (e.g. how long does it take the L2-only student to realise that "comida" means lunch specifically as well as food in general?

Along the way I have found out the fossile errors is a myth: the thing that has fossilized is the complacency of the learner. You are in a better position to correct an error when you already know a language reasonably well, but precisely at that point you may be too satisfied with what you have got to bother.

I had a friend who tutored in his native language (French) and in his L2 (English). When you had a conversation, he would have a very heavy French accent, including a lack of either TH phoneme (/ð/ or /θ/), but when telling people who to pronounce words he would say it perfectly.

I had a conversation with him about that, and he said he knew he could fix it, but it wasn't worth his time. As far as his brain was concerned, "the" started with /z/ and "think" started with /t/. Learning the distinction essentially meant taking a big pile of words and relearning them all and he reckoned it would be over a year. But he was quite confident that if his school teacher had been able to pronounce /ð/ differently from /z/ and /θ/ differently from /t/ (and had corrected him when he used the wrong one!) then he would have had the distinction without effort.
I have mentioned my separation between intensive studies and extensive studies several times here. The intensive ones is where I collect facts, and that's a slow process where I have to be meticuluous about things.

Here's what I think is the nub of the problem: we are all good at doing these intensive study periods, and we are therefore predisposed to see them as effective and useful; but I think these intensive techniques shouldn't be necessary, and we can do better and learn quicker with a learning method that doesn't need them.

Such a method would also be open to people who aren't actually good at the same intensive techniques that most of us here are.
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:00 pm

Irena wrote:Okay, so I tracked down some pirated version of MT French on YouTube. He starts with some guru-like introduction about how it's incredibly important to be relaxed, and then he says he'll give you the time (i.e. you should stop the recording) to think how you say the stuff he asks you to say (I'm not sure how that's not accuracy over fluency, but whatever). Then he starts the course. Since I already speak French, I could just about make sense of what he was talking about. Am I about to use this for a language I'm trying to learn from scratch? No. And if I decide I need a guru, I'll go look for a guru, not for a language teacher. But hey, if it works for you, then by all means use it. Personally, I'd much rather be given a textbook with written information, plus the accompanying audio. Oh, and why am I supposed to listen to those two non-native speakers?? In a classroom setting, it's inevitable. But in a self-study program like this? Why??

Well you know what? I just read everything written on a bottle of aspirin, and I still don't believe aspirin cures a headache. (That's an analogy, by the way.)
0 x

Irena
Green Belt

Postby Irena » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:06 pm

Cainntear wrote:If someone is genuinely resistant to doing things in a more effective manner, you either change to match them (if it's one-on-one) or you give them their money back and let them be on their way (if it's a class, cause you can't sacrifice the other students because of one person's rigid thinking).

Look who's "blaming the learner" now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never mind that a bunch of us who don't/won't use the One True Method have managed to learn foreign languages just fine using other methods, thank you very much. But hey, go proselytize and save some souls, if you are so inclined. As long as it's not my soul that you're saving. :roll:
3 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:27 pm

Irena wrote:
Cainntear wrote:If someone is genuinely resistant to doing things in a more effective manner, you either change to match them (if it's one-on-one) or you give them their money back and let them be on their way (if it's a class, cause you can't sacrifice the other students because of one person's rigid thinking).

Look who's "blaming the learner" now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well actually, I'm blaming the people who have talked the learner into holding their fixed beliefs.

Never mind that a bunch of us who don't/won't use the One True Method have managed to learn foreign languages just fine using other methods, thank you very much. But hey, go proselytize and save some souls, if you are so inclined. As long as it's not my soul that you're saving. :roll:

Am I talking about a One True Method? I don't think I am.

I am talking about trying to find ways to teach *everyone* better, and incrementally improving practice in language teaching and learning.

If you want to try to characterise my approach as religious... well, as far as I can see you are the person promoting an absolute truth as unquestionable, and I'm the one whose speaking against the absolute truth using evidence.

Have you given any real consideration to my evidence, or have you dismissed me off-hand like some kind of heretic?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:55 pm

Irena wrote:@Cainntear

Okay, so I tracked down some pirated version of MT French on YouTube. He starts with some guru-like introduction about how it's incredibly important to be relaxed, and then he says he'll give you the time (i.e. you should stop the recording) to think how you say the stuff he asks you to say (I'm not sure how that's not accuracy over fluency, but whatever). Then he starts the course. Since I already speak French, I could just about make sense of what he was talking about. Am I about to use this for a language I'm trying to learn from scratch? No. And if I decide I need a guru, I'll go look for a guru, not for a language teacher. But hey, if it works for you, then by all means use it. Personally, I'd much rather be given a textbook with written information, plus the accompanying audio. Oh, and why am I supposed to listen to those two non-native speakers?? In a classroom setting, it's inevitable. But in a self-study program like this? Why??

Actually, this works for a significant number of people. Many people (including me) would prefer NOT to start with a textbook or a grammar book.
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Irena
Green Belt

Postby Irena » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:02 pm

rdearman wrote:Actually, this works for a significant number of people. Many people (including me) would prefer NOT to start with a textbook or a grammar book.

And you know what, Rick? That's perfectly fine. You should use whatever works best for you. As long as you don't try to sell it to me as the One True Method. But of course, you were not the one selling the One True Method.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:05 pm

Irena wrote:
rdearman wrote:Actually, this works for a significant number of people. Many people (including me) would prefer NOT to start with a textbook or a grammar book.

And you know what, Rick? That's perfectly fine. You should use whatever works best for you. As long as you don't try to sell it to me as the One True Method. But of course, you were not the one selling the One True Method.

Actually, I don't think anyone is trying to sell a method. I thing Cainntear is just telling you about a method which works for him, and a number of other people. I get the feeling that you two are "reading past each other" and not really paying attention to what the other person is saying. You're both making good points, but you are arguing, not debating. :)
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “General Language Discussion”