Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Re: "Virtually Native" tests his views against Paul Nation

Postby Sae » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:46 pm

Cainntear wrote:
Sae wrote:NGL, using ChatGPT to make your point for you and to replace any human reasoning or critical thinking to me devalues anything you have to say on the topic.
Does he actually have anything to say on the topic...?

I figured given the negative comments about Vladimir and his content and some of the premise behind the thread that this was "look Vladimir has value".

Le Baron wrote:
Sae wrote:Are we really going to see AI used this way?

I like it in one way. It demonstrates repeatedly how useless AI is for evaluating anything in a sophisticated way.
People have found his content helpful, as evidenced by the positive reviews and comments on his book and videos.

Is the same as: we have lots of customer appraisals (or at least we published those ones), therefore we are ace.

You are right in that it does.

Heck, by just changing the question to be over whether he's promblematic and to give reasons, it presents something more rounded & closer to what I'd make:

Code: Select all

As an AI language model, I strive to remain neutral and objective in my responses. However, I can provide some insights that may help you answer your question.

Vladimir Skenderoff, also known as Virtually Native, is a video blogger and author who provides content on language learning. While some people may find his content useful and informative, others may have concerns about the accuracy and effectiveness of his methods.

Some critics have raised concerns about the methods used by Virtually Native to learn languages, as they may not be based on sound linguistic principles. For example, some of his methods involve memorizing phrases and sentences without necessarily understanding the underlying grammatical structures or rules. Critics argue that this approach may lead to a superficial understanding of the language and may hinder long-term language acquisition.

Additionally, some have criticized Virtually Native for promoting a particular "hype" around language learning, making claims that his methods can help people achieve fluency in a short amount of time. Some people may find this unrealistic and misleading, as language learning is a complex and ongoing process that requires consistent effort and practice over time.

In conclusion, while some people may find Virtually Native's content helpful, others may have concerns about the accuracy and effectiveness of his methods. It's important to approach language learning with a critical eye and to consider a range of sources and methods to find what works best for you.

I wonder if we'll end up seeing online discussions made up entirely of ChatGPT arguing with itself.
2 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:57 pm

Sae wrote:I wonder if we'll end up seeing online discussions made up entirely of ChatGPT arguing with itself.

I’m sure propagandists and marketers are drooling at the prospect, if they haven’t already started implementing it.
3 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:19 pm

Kraut wrote:Question to HuggingFace's ChatGPT4:

Vladimir Skenderoff (Virtually Native) is a (video) blogger and author on themes of language learning. Can he be taken seriously?

Answer:

As an AI language model, I cannot provide personal opinions. However, I can tell you that Vladimir Skenderoff has a substantial following on his YouTube channel, Virtually Native, and has authored a book on language learning. People have found his content helpful, as evidenced by the positive reviews and comments on his book and videos. It is up to you to decide whether his content resonates with your learning style and preferences. You can explore his videos, blog, and book to determine if his approach to language learning aligns with your goals and beliefs.

Calm down. I'm evaluating the new Chatbot GPT4 and in the case of Krashen's Input Method it came up with an impressive list of its shortcomings.

https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19029
3. Nachteile der Comprehensible Input Methode auf Deutsch
Bitte antworte auf Deutsch. Welche Nachteile hat die “Comprehensible Input” Methode nach Stephen Krashen im Fremdsprachenunterricht?

I was expecting the bot would do the same in the case of Skenderoff. It didn't and I don't understand why.
0 x

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:46 pm

Kraut wrote:
Kraut wrote:Question to HuggingFace's ChatGPT4:

Vladimir Skenderoff (Virtually Native) is a (video) blogger and author on themes of language learning. Can he be taken seriously?

Answer:

As an AI language model, I cannot provide personal opinions. However, I can tell you that Vladimir Skenderoff has a substantial following on his YouTube channel, Virtually Native, and has authored a book on language learning. People have found his content helpful, as evidenced by the positive reviews and comments on his book and videos. It is up to you to decide whether his content resonates with your learning style and preferences. You can explore his videos, blog, and book to determine if his approach to language learning aligns with your goals and beliefs.

Calm down. I'm evaluating the new Chatbot GPT4 and in the case of Krashen's Input Method it came up with an impressive list of its shortcomings.

https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19029
3. Nachteile der Comprehensible Input Methode auf Deutsch
Bitte antworte auf Deutsch. Welche Nachteile hat die “Comprehensible Input” Methode nach Stephen Krashen im Fremdsprachenunterricht?

I was expecting the bot would do the same in the case of Skenderoff. It didn't and I don't understand why.

Your post doesn't make it clear, and the context of the thread & discussion was different and I figure that other thread would have made more sense?

Anyway, it likely didn't do the same for Skenderoff because your questions weren't consistent between the two. Like how my question also gave a more complete answers as the phrasing suggested I wanted to an answer that included criticism.

You asked for disadvantages over Krashens, so I've asked for disadvantages for Vladimir's and got a response more consistent in approach to what it did with Krashen:

Code: Select all

Vladimir Skenderoff, also known as Virtually Native, has a language learning system that is based on the use of mnemonics and memory techniques. While this approach may work well for some learners, it also has some potential disadvantages. Here are some possible disadvantages of Skenderoff's language learning system:

May not be suitable for all learners: Skenderoff's system is based on the use of memory techniques, which may not be effective or suitable for all learners. Some people may find this approach too tedious or complicated, and may prefer a more traditional approach to language learning.

Reliance on memorization: Skenderoff's system relies heavily on the use of mnemonics and memorization techniques. While this can be a useful tool for remembering vocabulary and grammar rules, it may not be the most effective way to develop fluency in a language. Language fluency requires the ability to use language naturally and spontaneously, and this may not be fully achieved through memorization alone.

Limited focus on communicative skills: Skenderoff's system places a strong emphasis on vocabulary and grammar memorization, but may not place enough focus on developing communicative skills. Language learners also need to practice using the language in conversation, reading, writing, and listening, in order to achieve full proficiency.

Limited exposure to authentic language: Skenderoff's system may not provide learners with enough exposure to authentic language use, such as through real-life conversations, TV shows, or news programs. Exposure to authentic language is important for developing the ability to understand and use the language in real-life situations.

In conclusion, while Skenderoff's language learning system may work well for some learners, it may not be the best fit for everyone. It is important to consider the potential disadvantages of his approach, and to choose a language learning method that best suits your individual needs and learning style.
1 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

Return to “General Language Discussion”