I do not believe the limitation of age & gender for learning

General discussion about learning languages
Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Re: I do not believe the limitation of age & gender for learning

Postby Lisa » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:15 am

I have read that women have an advantage in language learning, but I don't think I would say that being male is a "limitation".
4 x

nebel11
Languages: English (N) | German (B1) | Italian (A2) | Russian (A1) | French (A1) | Hindi & Gujarati (fluent, not literate)

Postby nebel11 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:56 pm

mattmo wrote:I think that age and so on is more of an excuse than anything to not learn language or to learn anything else. I think that as long as you keep consistent and use the right methods learning a new language would definitely be possible.

Exactly, it's just an excuse.
An adult will have an easier and faster time learning ANYTHING compared to a child, who needs a decade or more to really learn something! Plus, once you learn how you learn, things become easier.
0 x

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:42 pm

notification: I recalled from some resources referring to holy quran or presuably I saw some verses in it ,stating:

"boys are more qualified than girls"

so, if this issue is being explained in quran in this way, I want to express that I cannot/won't claim the contradictory idea with the idea explained in Quran.

note please one may always have a different idea, but I generally tend to select my ideas by myself as I am autodidactic-self taught.
so, none can affect me in this regard
This is general appearance of my profile.

all the best
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:35 pm

jimmy wrote:notification: I recalled from some resources referring to holy quran or presuably I saw some verses in it ,stating:

"boys are more qualified than girls"

so, if this issue is being explained in quran in this way, I want to express that I cannot/won't claim the contradictory idea with the idea explained in Quran.

note please one may always have a different idea, but I generally tend to select my ideas by myself as I am autodidactic-self taught.
so, none can affect me in this regard
This is general appearance of my profile.

all the best

To paraphrase:
I believe I once read in a holy scripture that most of you haven't read and don't believe in that boys are more qualified than girls. I can't cite the chapter and verse, but you guys can't tell me I'm wrong cos I think I may have read it a book at some point.

All the best
1 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:52 pm

Source: the Quran (maybe). :lol:
1 x

Suzie
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C-ish), French (B-ish), Dutch (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 040#p70040

Postby Suzie » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:41 pm

I have just visited my 94-year old aunt during the Easter weekend. She started to learn Spanish in her late 60s and is now an intermediate/advanced speaker. Once a week, a lady from Peru comes over to help out with household and shopping. Not only does my aunt insist on speaking Spanish with her, she also asks for corrections!

This woman is my absolute role model. Active language learning in my 90s, continuously striving for improvement - this is my dream.
6 x
Super Challenge French:
100 books: 100 / 100 complete
100 films: 100 / 100 complete

Return to “General Language Discussion”