The age limit for studying....

General discussion about learning languages
luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: The age limit for studying....

Postby luke » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:49 pm

jimmy wrote:
luke wrote:You can't teach an old dog new tricks.
so,may I ask whether English people or fellows act really calm when they are exposed to such wordings.

It is a proverb or a "saying". The first time I heard it we were trying to teach our dog a new trick and my uncle (dad's brother) said it. After that, I started to notice it coming up in other situations where there was no dog. :shock:

I was talking with my sister about "sayings" and I started thinking that young people don't hear them as often as we did as children. Sayings would get heard in many different contexts. This would give you a global feeling for the meaning.

I remember some years ago, we were asking one of my brother's kids what certain "common sayings" meant. We were surprised when he had no idea or guessed wrong. My brother apparently didn't say them to his kids like our parents and grandparents said them to us. (My grandpa lived with us a few years and we also visited relatives every week).

So, it turns out that you can't teach young people old sayings. :o
:)
Last edited by luke on Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:01 pm

hi luke, may I ask how old you are?
do you want to meet with me over the phone (whatsapp?)
if yes, I request you to write to what / which type of issues you are interested especially if the issues take their place in logic areas (i.e. science, art & languages)

you might have patient personality...(I am not sure) but currently think so.

I do not have any social media account. (My age is between 31 -36) ...

you can also reach me via pm.

loves,
jimmy
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:08 pm

jimmy wrote:hi luke, may I ask how old you are?

I'm so old I don't even have a microphone on my computer. :lol:
2 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:12 pm

luke wrote:
jimmy wrote:hi luke, may I ask how old you are?

I'm so old I don't even have a microphone on my computer. :lol:

ok. as said in pm, I do not have prejudices, if you are willing to meet ...I think it possible.

and you did not write which type of issues you were interested in..?
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:09 am

Sae wrote:Choice is good in that one size does not fit all, one man's best method is another man's nightmare. Because different people learn in different ways. But in fairness there is the challenge of knowing what to pick and a thing that a part of that is know how you best learn.

Well, there's choice, but the nowadays options now are a so many (at least for french), that it's hard to keep with one and not spread yourself too thin. You keep thinking you'll find the magic tool if you try this new one, or get this other book, but there's overhead in learning a new tool, and seeing how well it fits into your strategy. I'm not really complaining since I'm so grateful for the ones I use! And of course when you find something that works and it's not available in the language you want to work on, that's really hard to deal with. Ah, how I long for kwizig for German.

There's a book, the Paradox of choice. Per this, as I recall: a little selection is good, but if you have too many, you end up being somewhat dissatisfied with whatever you do choose, since you keep wondering if you are missing something that would have been better.
The example was bandaids. Buying bandaids is painful since there are just too many different ones...
0 x

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:48 am

Lisa wrote:
Sae wrote:Choice is good in that one size does not fit all, one man's best method is another man's nightmare. Because different people learn in different ways. But in fairness there is the challenge of knowing what to pick and a thing that a part of that is know how you best learn.

Well, there's choice, but the nowadays options now are a so many (at least for french), that it's hard to keep with one and not spread yourself too thin. You keep thinking you'll find the magic tool if you try this new one, or get this other book, but there's overhead in learning a new tool, and seeing how well it fits into your strategy. I'm not really complaining since I'm so grateful for the ones I use! And of course when you find something that works and it's not available in the language you want to work on, that's really hard to deal with. Ah, how I long for kwizig for German.

There's a book, the Paradox of choice. Per this, as I recall: a little selection is good, but if you have too many, you end up being somewhat dissatisfied with whatever you do choose, since you keep wondering if you are missing something that would have been better.
The example was bandaids. Buying bandaids is painful since there are just too many different ones...

That's fair. I guess with all things, a balance is good. I kind of feel new apps should start to try to diversify from the standard core of languages that almost every app tries to accommodate, because I am sure market saturation must start to make things less profitable when there's people learning other languages who might be willing to give their app a go.
0 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

Return to “General Language Discussion”