General discussion about learning languages
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: Esperanto, why bother?

Postby Le Baron » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:52 pm

rdearman wrote:Actually that is kinda my problem with the whole thing. Because I want to be able to communicate with people in their country in there language. I want to buy a train ticket in Italy in Italian, I want to order food in a french café in French, etc. Esperanto doesn't help me in that regard which is why it doesn't really appeal. Also the Esperanto fanatics don't help win me over.

This isn't the point of Esperanto though. It's more like learning Chinese to speak with the local Chinese population in England, but not using that same Chinese to buy a train ticket in England, because it's unsuitable and unnecessary.

I see this in a very, very basic way.:

1. Esperanto is really easy and works.
2. Therefore it's worth learning.
3. The more people who do that, the more people speak/understand it.
4. The more people who speak/understand it, the more people you're likely to meet who you can talk with.

No train stations sell tickets in Esperanto (but might do if more people didn't give up on it because no train stations sold tickets in Esperanto). 8-)
4 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:10 am

STT44 wrote:If this exact thread were started by an ordinary member, they'd have been blocked for a week for their insolence by now. All esparantists would have torn said OP into little pieces.

But because the OP here is none other than the site's owner, everybody will now go softy softy.

For all its big talk, this site is incredibly hypocrite.

Nobody would have been blocked (I know because I am the one that would do it) :D . Although you might be right about me being ripped apart for this type of question. But I am genuinely curious why people learn constructed languages. I can see the appeal of making one.

What is your opinion?
3 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:38 am

I think you can't speak with everyone from somewhere, but perhaps you can speak to someone from anywhere.

Although perhaps you need to plan in advance...

When I was younger I traveled with servas, and staying with local families was a much deeper experience than hostels; the purpose was to connect, rather than just trying to find some local who's not busy and wants to talk. I don't know about actual hosting, but I'd think Esperanto would at least get you a connection to local people who have an actual desire to talk and will make time to talk to you... and if you can't necessarily access an esperanto culture, they have their own local culture to share. This is speculative since I didn't keep on with esperanto (and I'm unlikely to travel again the way I did back in the 90s anyway).
5 x

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:39 am

rdearman wrote:But I am genuinely curious why people learn constructed languages.

Perhaps you should create a poll?
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:10 am

rdearman wrote:But I am genuinely curious why people learn constructed languages. I can see the appeal of making one.

The why will be very diverse for different people, but actually the same exists for any language doesn't it? The actual 'why'. Different people learn the same language - e.g. French - for entirely different reasons: to get merely some college credits; to watch films; to go on holiday; to read books; to just learn French for what-e-va.

You can say, justly, that they will be learning something 'useful', but useful is relative here. How useful is French really if you never go to a French speaking country? Know no French people. If you just read books. You could just read the same books in English translations. At some point it has the air of a made-up reason. Or maybe it's useful for branching out...?

There are a goodly number of Esperantists who always wanted to learn a language, but could never really get past the hurdles, but then found they could learn Esperanto and finally felt that feeling of being able to communicate in an entirely different language. Most importantly that this became what is referred as a 'springboard language'. Which unlocked many aspects of language for said learners so that they could then actively understand the bits and pieces that make up a language and what they needed. On the old Lernu forums lots of people said they'd used Esperanto (quickly learned) to successfully move onto other languages. Which they'd previously tried and failed at, but now they understood how the process worked and knew what it felt like get functionally communicative, which is an amazingly motivating sense of achievement.

You said 'constructed languages', though I'm only saying 'Esperanto' in line with the thread. Since I don't think the same would be true for, say, Volapük, which was quite hard. Or Klingon, which is deliberately hard and a bit daft. All I would say is: find me someone in any other language who can go from monoglot 'languages failure' to active, competent speaker in the same time frame someone can do that in Esperanto and I will eat all of my hats in one sitting with no condiments and only a thimble of water.
6 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

lowsocks
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner), German (beginner)

Postby lowsocks » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:10 am

I read somewhere (sorry, I have no source to cite) that marriages among esperanto speakers are frequent enough that they sometimes jokingly refer to the language as "edz-peranto". (In esperanto, the words for husband and wife are edzo and edzino, respectively.)

So that might be one reason to give it a try ;)
2 x
One need not hope in order to undertake, nor succeed in order to persevere.

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:49 am

Didn't we just have this discussion a couple of months ago?

As a teenager I started to make a constucted language. It was after I started learning Spanish. Seeing how logical Spanish was, but annoyed that it wasn't completely logical, I started to create words and grammar that supposedly was completely logical. :D Unaware that Esperanto existed. Of course I didn't finish this monumental project.

It just occured to me that today we could use an AI to make the perfect con-lang: it could create the easiest possible grammar and phonology for all people, and a vocabulary that would take the least amount of time to learn.
6 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:52 am

Le Baron wrote:1. Esperanto is really easy and works.
What do you mean by "works"? That it's a functioning language?
lowsocks wrote:So that might be one reason to give it a try
70% male, no thanks. I doubt if such a terrible ratio exists in any major natural language.
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:58 am

Le Baron wrote:I see this in a very, very basic way.:

1. Esperanto is really easy and works.
2. Therefore it's worth learning.

What you've done there is make a huge leap of logic. If by "works" you mean "results in successful communication between two successful learners of the language" then 2 does not logically follow from 1. 2 only logically follows from 1 if your definition of "works" is far more subtle and refined.

In my younger years, I was generally extremely positive about Esperanto, inheriting my mother's conviction that it was a good thing (she didn't speak it) and seeing as the internet was still not mass media, Esperanto materials were so few and far between that I never ever came across any.

My love of languages sort of stalled, but I kept running across French people I could have surprisingly complex conversations and Italian people I could exchange a few halting words with. My first attempts at learning more were unsuccessful because I was using painfully poor books, because they were what passed as being seen as good in mainstream thought. When I decided I wanted to learn Spanish, I got Michel Thomas off ebay. I was very sceptical indeed, but there was something in the reviews I'd read that caught my attention despite the scepticism -- he just seemed to be doing something in a way that matched my intuitive understanding of what language was. So I bought the CDs and they were posted to my work. I took them home and started working through them. At the end of the second CD, I realised that I was reeeeaaally hungry cos I was over an hour late in preparing my dinner. I was a convert.

When I started to look at Esperanto again, I understood far more about languages. I knew that in Zamenhof's time linguistics was poorly understood, and I knew Zamenhof was not even up to date with the latest thinking. I only found out today that he wrote the language when he was about 14, so the misconceptions are understandable.

He thought "no opposites" was a good rule -- make sit easy.
No human natural language has no seperate words for hot and cold like Esperanto's "varma" and "malvarma". That alone makes it unnatural.
That was part of his "no irregularities" motivation.
No natural human language is (or at best precious few are) free or irregularities. Modern thinking is that this is not a coincidence -- irregularities make a language *easier&+* for a native. Irregular words are usually the most common -- eg I have one child, he has two children because (as scans show) it is quicker to recall a single fixed form than to recall two word elements and stitch them together.

The fact that these are universals should be enough to imply they're needed *even before* science identifies why.

Now we've also got the issue of vi and li, which were intrinsically understood to be wrong. People argued back things that that was because the complainer didn't personally like Zamenhof's arbitrary decision being different from their arbitrary decision. Hmmm.
The assumption that this is arbitrary was unfounded, and it wasn't until the turn of the 20th->21st century that we got that. The idea that the first language was sign language gained ground in the late 20th century, and Ramachandran then suggested that *all* language was sign language... just that we made the signs with our mouths. "Me" means I point inwards with my lips and contain the sound. "tu" and "thou" mean pointing forward with the tongue and rounded the lips to "narrow" the selection. "Vous" and "you" maintain some pointing, but feel less tight.

"Vi" has a consonant that feels plural not simply because it's used that way in French, Spanish, Italian etc, but because it involves broad and flat lips that mean you cannot point to a single person. "Li" feels like a 3rd person not simply by habit, but arguably because you can fairly easily say "he"/"she"/"il"/"elle" out of the side of your mouth.

Zamenhof also minimised differences -- eg verb tense indicators -as -is -us -os. Language naturally employs redundancy to prevent confusion. Look at the variety in vowel and consonant phonemes in numbers 0-10 in natural languages (something Zamenhof has mostly replicated in his number). These maximal differences make numbers hard for foreigners to learn but they make mishearing almost impossible (Zamenhof's kvar, kvin and ses, sep pairs appear to be him attempting to regularise to an extent, and would probably be easier to confuse that four, five and six, seven; six, sept; or seis, siete); there is similarly maximal distance between tenses in natural languages, but Zamenhof's regularisation means minimal difference and so there is zero redundancy -- weaken your vowel enunciation or mispronounce it entirely and you've changed the test.
There's also the question of how the phonemes reflect meaning, which is far more subtle still. The future is uncertain and open, but the past is finished and there's no changing it. Tense endings tend to reflect this.

Not that language does undergo random mutation through use, so not *every* sound is meaningful; some *are* arbitrary results of change. However, other things *are not*.

Esperanto was made in an entirely arbitrary manner.
Does this make it a worse language? I would argue yes, others would argue no. I accept that the answer is subjective.
Does it make it a worse gateway language? I would argue yes and cannot see the answer as subjective. A good gateway language should prepare you to expect things that are common in other languages -- Esperanto does not do this.

I have no interest in learning Esperanto because I am afraid its unnaturalness will skew my expectations and probabilities enough to make mastery of other languages harder.

Now here's an interesting thought: is Esperanto most especially dangerous to Krashenites; people who do not read explicit rules...?
5 x

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:28 am

It does seem the Esperanto question keeps coming up that I kind of think looking older threads might provide the answers for people who genuinely are curious rather than want to disparage it.

I can't speak as an Esperanto learner, but I figure it's something that can be answered with: why do people learn a second language?
Whilst not all answers to that question will cover Esperanto, but a deal of them I feel will.

I guess ultimately, I understand the main applicable reasons would be, or where I might see value:

- as a gateway language, especially for somebody new to learning languages. As I understand it, it's more approachable, or at least, to a certain bias. Whether it is more valuable for a starter I guess is up for debate and I guess takes into account why they'd want to try and use it as one or why other languages are intimidating or are causing a problem.
- nerd reasons, people meet in cafes to speak classical latin, there's people who speak old norse & old English, I've seen videos of songs in Old Norse, Latin, Old English, Attic Greek, Toki Pona and Sumerian. And some people learn Klingon and Elvish. Some people in Vegas are Elivish impersonaters, but I am pretty sure don't speak Elvish and just play rock & roll. Whilst most of those languages have practical uses (like reading old texts in those languages as intended), but they are also used in this way.
- General language enthusiasm & interest, which I guess falls under "nerd reasons" too. But polyglots gonna polyglot. I sometimes see people with questions like "what language should I learn next?" without any thought or consideration of whether they need it or are going to use it. So I figure whether it's Esperanto or Norwegian is going to be down to more taste than practicality.
- The historical context or interests in constructed languages, which I also guess falls under "nerd reaons"
- The community
- To annoy people that don't like Esperanto...dunno if people do, but I know spite can push people far.
6 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

Return to “General Language Discussion”