General discussion about learning languages
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Interlingua's turn on Ecolinguist

Postby Le Baron » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:02 pm

with French, Romanian and Portuguese. I've never really listened to Interlingua before or heard it spoken properly and found it astonishingly comprehensible... Obviously because of its basis. I don't know about 'language of the future' but I liked the video.

4 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Interlingua's turn on Ecolinguist

Postby iguanamon » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:57 pm

When I first learned of Interlingua's existence, I was amazed that I could read it without having ever studied it. I read somewhere that if one speaks English and a Romance language (probably a lot of us here), they can read Interlingua. I'd say anyone with that background would be automatically B1/2 in reading.

Project Gutenberg has exactly one "book" (more like a short story) in Interlingua: Le Horror Altissime. It's a translation of Arthur Conan Doyle's novel "The Horror of the Heights".

Here's a parallel text sample:
Le Horror Altissime wrote:Interlingua
Le idea que le narration extraordinari, appellate le “Fragmento Joyce-Armstrong”, es un “joco practic” extensive—tunc create per un humano incognite con un humorismo perverse e sinistre—ha nunc essite abandonate per totes qui ha scrutinate le affaire. Solo alcun conspirator le plus macabre e imaginative hesitarea ante de connecter su phantasias a ille factos indisputabile e tragic que reinfortia le allegation del fragmento. Ben que le assertiones in illo son stupende e mesmo monstruose, il nonobstante se fortia al intellecto que illos son ver, e que nos debe adjustar nostre ideas al nove situation. Nostre mundo appare esser separate per un parve margine precari ab un unic periculo inexpectate. In ille exposition, que reproduce le documento original in su forma partialmente fragmentari, io va essayar presentar tote le factos usque nunc pro le lector. Como introduction io vole dicer que, etiam si alcunos dubita le narration de Joyce-Armstrong, il non pote haber alcun hesitation sur le factos concernente locotenente Myrtle, R. N., e senior Hay Connor, qui indubitatemente incontrava lor fines in le manieras describite hic.The idea that the extraordinary narrative which has been called the Joyce-Armstrong Fragment is an elaborate practical joke evolved by some unknown person, cursed by a perverted and sinister sense of humour, has now been abandoned by all who have examined the matter. The most macabre and imaginative of plotters would hesitate before linking his morbid fancies with the unquestioned and tragic facts which reinforce the statement. Though the assertions contained in it are amazing and even monstrous, it is none the less forcing itself upon the general intelligence that they are true, and that we must readjust our ideas to the new situation. This world of ours appears to be separated by a slight and precarious margin of safety from a most singular and unexpected danger. I will endeavour in this narrative, which reproduces the original document in its necessarily somewhat fragmentary form, to lay before the reader the whole of the facts up to date, prefacing my statement by saying that, if there be any who doubt the narrative of Joyce-Armstrong, there can be no question at all as to the facts concerning Lieutenant Myrtle, R. N., and Mr. Hay Connor, who undoubtedly met their end in the manner described.

And while there are more books available and Interlingua organizations in several cuntries around the world, it doesn't have much reach. Esperanto has much more speakers and "reach".

The language has resources to learn it for free download. Like Esperanto, it could serve as an easy to learn language. I could see it being a bridge to the Romance languages. I couldn't recommend it to a beginner in language-learning because of its lack of utility.

In other words, if one were to speak the language in any Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian-speaking country, most likely nobody on the street is going to understand it clearly. Maybe if it were written, they would understand a great deal more- but with technology and translation apps, that's not really necessary or useful.

So, like Slovio (the Slavic artificial lingua franca), Interlingua lies mainly in the domain of the hobbyists. It is most popular in Scandinavia- for some reason unknown to me.
5 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:12 pm

There's actually an Interlingua group or 'association' near here. Some years ago I went down for a look, but I couldn't really get to anything, or anyone, apart from a fellow who gave me a card. They have or had a website and whilst I did read some stuff, I'd never heard it spoken naturalistically. I actually found it easier to listen to than read, or at least equally easy. School Latin is an additional help.
2 x
- Jonathan Swift

anitarrc
Orange Belt
Languages: Moved around... English + German + Spanish + Dutch + French + Portuguese
used daily
Catalá Russian Serbian: struggling but improving. Bahasa..needs refreshment

Postby anitarrc » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:07 am

Looks like Italian mixed with Spanish to me, certainly very comprehensible. I didn't look up anything. I guess it is like being the first time in Brasil.. unless they speak very fast you get it. How is it pronounced..like Italian or like Spanish or Catalá to add some fun.

As an alternative, we could also use Catalá.. it has elements of 40% Spanish, 40% Italian, some Occitan and some Portuguese. At least, it is easy to locate speakers.
2 x

cpnlsn88
White Belt

Postby cpnlsn88 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:56 pm

I am just starting to get interested in Interlingua.
There are quite a few arguments for either Interlingua or similar, like Esperanto.

For many people there us a need to stop being monolingual and teaching this could help (also Esperanto). The next language could be one of any number but obviously Interlingua predisposes to the Romance languages.

Where I am interested is as a pathway to other Romance languages. I'm interested in both Spanish and Italian and I want more listening and reading ability. Some claim Interlingua helps as a stepping stone to that.

The obvious advantage is hyper simplified grammar and ease of learning.

If I listen to Interlingua I understand the vast majority. Sometimes on YouTube the next video loops over to something in Spanish and sometimes it takes me a while to realise I'm no longer in Interlingua (doesn't last long and I understand much less in Spanish though still a fair amount).
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:10 pm

Prepare for a theoretical thrashing from people who have never studied Interlingua/have no intention of studying it, but know all its flaws.
1 x
- Jonathan Swift

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:12 pm

Le Baron wrote:Prepare for a theoretical thrashing from people who have never studied Interlingua/have no intention of studying it, but know all its flaws.

Yes, because you'll say something immediately to wind them up.
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:16 pm

You nominated yourself! I said nothing. 8-)
0 x
- Jonathan Swift

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:21 pm

I suppose Interlingua is okay but mostly that video just made me want to look into Romanian. It's an interesting experience listening to a language where I can alternate so quickly between understanding almost everything and absolutely nothing.

:D
2 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:35 pm

Le Baron wrote:You nominated yourself! I said nothing. 8-)
Ah, so you were talking about me...? I didn't realise.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”