Languages with the most forgiving native speakers

General discussion about learning languages
Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Languages with the most forgiving native speakers

Postby Ug_Caveman » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:39 pm

(Intended to be a light-hearted discussion! Please do not take this as an attack on any group of speakers!)

Indeed, many languages (or rather their native speakers) suffer from stereotypes that unless you speak perfection, you'll struggle significantly to win approval and they might even *gasp* switch to English and prevent you from obtaining much needed practise.

This thread is to look at the opposite side, and consider which languages have native speakers that are overjoyed to hear you've taken on the challenge of learning their mother tongue :D Does anyone have any particular stories in this vein where, despite obviously being a beginner (or non-native), they were met with a patient and supportive attitude from natives?
1 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Irena
Green Belt
Languages: Serbian (N), English (C2), French (C1), Russian (C1), Czech (C1), dabbled in a couple of others, dreaming of many others

Re: Languages with the most forgiving native speakers

Postby Irena » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:55 pm

Native English speakers are very nice. Contrary to what lots of people say, I've had a good experience with the French. Native Spanish and Italian speakers have a very good reputation in this regard, but I have no first hand experience, since I speak no Italian and no Spanish.
1 x

Irena
Green Belt
Languages: Serbian (N), English (C2), French (C1), Russian (C1), Czech (C1), dabbled in a couple of others, dreaming of many others

Postby Irena » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:55 pm

If I may highjack this thread just a little bit: does anyone have experience with Poles? I have this secret (I suppose it's no longer that secret) wish to learn Polish. But I'd like native speakers to be nice to me... What happens if you unleash ~B1 level Polish on a native Polish speaker?
2 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:59 pm

Irena wrote:Native English speakers are very nice. Contrary to what lots of people say, I've had a good experience with the French. Native Spanish and Italian speakers have a very good reputation in this regard, but I have no first hand experience, since I speak no Italian and no Spanish.

My experiences in Italy, Spain, Peru, and Mexico confirmed the positive stereotypes about how Italian and Spanish speakers treat learners. Granted, I already had a pretty decent level by the time I went to those places, so I can't say much about how a beginner stumbling over lots of words would be received.
3 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:49 pm

Even with my quite advanced Italian I've found that Italians in the centre and south of Italy switch to (often poor) English about half of the time. But in the North I've mostly had positive experiences, except in Veneto.

Spanish has been varied again but outside very touristy areas mostly good (this is in Spain; I've not been to Latin America). I had to give a report to police in Spanish in Madrid a few years ago which was a bit of a struggle especially since I had been waiting for several hours and was exhausted, and they were very patient with me!

South of France good, rest of France mixed.

Portugal pleasantly surprised me. My absolute-beginner Portuguese was well received a few times; sometimes warmly, sometimes not so much but still without changing to English. But I don't feel I have enough experience to generalise, and with my other languages I've found that people were often much more supportive and forgiving when I was a beginner than when I was at a decent level. But the OP did say forgiving to beginners, so this might be my most relevant experience here.
4 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:54 pm

STT44 wrote:Native English-speakers are the most tolerant without a doubt.

because they don't have the option of switching to another language? :lol:
10 x
Super Challenge 2024-2025
ES (half): reading: 0 / 5000 watcching: 0 / 5000
FR (full): reading: 0 / 5000 watcching: 0 / 5000

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:28 pm

badger wrote:
STT44 wrote:Native English-speakers are the most tolerant without a doubt.

because they don't have the option of switching to another language? :lol:

Haha, probably true in many cases. But also because we have lots of practice listening to non-native accents.
6 x

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:06 am

The italians (rome and north) were my favorites; they were particularly willing to try to understand my very very limited abilities. I think since so few spoke English.
0 x

anitarrc
Orange Belt
Languages: Moved around... English + German + Spanish + Dutch + French + Portuguese
used daily
Catalá Russian Serbian: struggling but improving. Bahasa..needs refreshment

Postby anitarrc » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:11 am

In my experience "ExPat" English speakers meaning too lazy to learn the local language are not very forgiving.
Dialogue in a bank.. Gringo with local half his age girlfriend bombarding the best, most patient employee with 200 questions.

G -Why is it x$$ fee for a "complicated transaction" from my US bank to here
(neither GF nor I had ever hear the expression)

E- I don't understand, please repeat

G repeats louder

E- Sorry I don't know this word
GF improvises

G You know you should improve your English.

A few days later, the same lady solved a nightmare problem with my internet banking, one even the hotline couldn't tackle. She deserves a medal in patience with my limited knowledge of banking security

Other experience: In Malaysia, in Perlis or Kelantan, folks are incredibly patient, will explain words with gestures etc. They are genuinely delighted if you greet properly etc.
Portugal or Brasil is very similar. Although they usually switch to Spanish (or French in PT), not to English :) if you really don't get it.
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:18 pm

anitarrc wrote:G You know you should improve your English.

This sort of person needs horsewhipping.
3 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Return to “General Language Discussion”