I hate French - help!

General discussion about learning languages
lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Re: I hate French - help!

Postby lichtrausch » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:25 pm

Take a 6 month break. When you return to French, perhaps you will be able to see the language with new eyes.
3 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:01 pm

Hard to take a break from French while running two businesses in France unless you're going to hire some round-the-clock interpreters to follow you around.
1 x

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:17 pm

tastyonions wrote:Hard to take a break from French while running two businesses in France unless you're going to hire some round-the-clock interpreters to follow you around.

I mean a break from the study of French.
2 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:08 pm

Is the OP reading our replies? They joined the forum 1.5 days ago, was last active 11 minutes after that, and has made 1 post ever.
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:19 pm

smallwhite wrote:Is the OP reading our replies? They joined the forum 1.5 days ago, was last active 11 minutes after that, and has made 1 post ever.

At three pages-worth it's quite a lot to digest and OP confessed to being rather a busy chap.
0 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:57 am

rdearman wrote:Problem is they immigrated, so kinda stuck with it.
He doesn't have to study it though. Tbh, the whole thing sounds pretty fake to me, but maybe I'm wrong. Even if it's real, my experience is that it's a complete waste of time to try to fix someone's motivation.
2 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:24 pm

Maybe the guy wanted to vent a long-standing frustration and felt here was a good place? It's as good as any. It might be beneficial.

I think we should all have agreed that French is an arse of a language, but maintain tenacity! Like when your better half comes home after a bad day and tells you how the day has been and doesn't want advice, but support and agreement and spurring on.
1 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:22 pm

Whatever the value to the OP, if any... I have found it very interesting reading. Possibly since I'm feeling a mix of emotions about french myself, as well as knowing in a very small way how it feels to be trapped in a language you are most master of.
5 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:56 pm

unionfan wrote:Hello all, I'm here out of desperation.
I'm English and live in France and my learning of French has totally plateau'd. I've come across all the usual advice about immersion, reading, television, radio etc and right now it's just not working. At B2 level, I'm finding I hate this nonsensical and illogical language with such a passion that it is ruining my motivation to do anything else here. We still have weekly French lessons (after 6 years) and I just hate every minute of it. Nothing gets retained more than 60 minutes after each lesson and I resent with every fibre having to "organise" and "make time" to learn every single day! I want it to just sink in like it does for the 10-year olds.

French, nonsensical and illogical ? Well, this coming from a speaker of English is rich. French is what it is. Unlike most contributors here, I don’t have any specific advice for someone with such a passionate dislike for a language. Kudos to my buddy iguanamon who has more patience than I do.

To the OP I would suggest not bothering with trying to learn French at all. 6 years in France and running two presumably successful businesses with whatever French you have is obviously good enough, so what’s the problem ? The fundamental question is do you need to know more French ? The answer is probably no. So, relax, chill and don’t get worked up over something you dislike so much. Life is too short.

I have never met or heard a language that I have not found interesting. Obviously, some I find more attractive than others because of the people and the culture but I certainly don’t waste my time hating a language, especially if I’m living and working in the country where it is spoken.
8 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:14 pm

Lisa wrote:Whatever the value to the OP, if any... I have found it very interesting reading. Possibly since I'm feeling a mix of emotions about french myself, as well as knowing in a very small way how it feels to be trapped in a language you are most master of.

THIS

This is the reason why I reply to message even when sometimes I have the feeling the question isn't for real, or it was just a "drive-by" type question. It is because even if the original questions were false or by a one-off poster the value is normally in the responses, not the question.
10 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “General Language Discussion”