Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

More frustrating AI failures with youchat

Postby Le Baron » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:34 pm

I thought this would be a good test...

How do I use the French word 'or' (not meaning 'gold')? What does it mean in English?

The French word 'or' does not mean 'gold'. It is a function word that is used to indicate an alternative or a choice between two or more things. In English, it is often translated as ‘or’, ‘either’, or ‘otherwise’. For example, "You can go by train or by car."

I mean the French word 'or' as a conjunction. Can you give me example sentences please?

Sure. Here are some example sentences using the French word 'or' as a conjunction:

"Tu peux prendre le bus ou la voiture." (You can take the bus or the car.) "Tu dois manger des légumes ou des fruits." (You must eat vegetables or fruits.) "Tu peux étudier soit le français, soit l'anglais." (You can study either French or English.) "Tu as le choix entre aller à la plage ou à la montagne." (You have the choice between going to the beach or the mountains.)

No I think there's a misunderstanding. Those are for the English word 'or' (ou in French). I am looking for the French word 'or'.

Ah, my apologies. The French word 'or' is a conjuction (spelling!) used to indicate an alternative or a choice between two or more things. For example, "Tu peux prendre le bus ou la voiture." (You can take the bus or the car.)

Your example uses 'ou' not 'or'.

Ah, my apologies. The French word 'ou' is an alternative to the French word 'or', and both can be used as conjunctions to indicate an alternative or a choice between two or more things. For example, "Tu peux prendre le bus ou la voiture." (You can take the bus or the car.)

Then please make an example sentence in French using the word 'or'.

Voici un exemple de phrase en français utilisant le mot 'or': "Tu peux faire du shopping en ligne ou en magasin." (You can shop online or in-store.)

I mean the use of 'or' in a sentence like this: 'il faut tenir les délais ; or, ce n'est pas toujours possible'. What does 'or' mean here?

In this sentence, the French word 'or' is used as a conjuction to indicate an alternative or a choice. It is equivalent to saying "either…" or "otherwise…". In this case, it is used to indicate that one of the two options must be chosen - either hold to the deadlines, or accept that it is not always possible.

By the way you are spelling conjunction as 'conjuction'!

Oh, my apologies. I meant to spell it as 'conjunction'.

Actually I think 'or' in french means something like 'now' (as an adverb or particle similar to 'however') or 'well then...' Could that be right?

Yes, that is correct. The French word 'or' can also be used as an adverb or particle similar to 'however' or 'well then…' For example, "Il faut tenir les délais, or, ce n'est pas toujours possible." (You must meet the deadlines, however/well then, it is not always possible.)

Now (or 'or'), if I was a student trying to work out the word 'or' I think I'd be pretty confused. So really an excellent tool if you want to find a yes man to agree with you and repeat your words when you answer your own questions. There's quite a lot to explain about that little word, youchat pretty much failed on every count.
13 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: More frustrating AI failures with youchat

Postby tastyonions » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:44 pm

I mean the use of 'or' in a sentence like this: 'il faut tenir les délais ; or, ce n'est pas toujours possible'. What does 'or' mean here?

In this sentence, the French word 'or' is used as a conjuction to indicate an alternative or a choice. It is equivalent to saying "either…" or "otherwise…". In this case, it is used to indicate that one of the two options must be chosen - either hold to the deadlines, or accept that it is not always possible.

Funny that even after processing a French sentence, it failed to grasp that you wanted to talk about French "or" and not English "or."
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:58 pm

How would the machine react to

"You are an idiot. This "or" is roughly the same in French as "however" in English and it has absolutely nothing to do with "ou", which indicates a choice between two alternatives. And now show me that you have understood this (and don't waste your time on empty apologies)".

Can the machine learn? But hey, then anybody could deliberately feed WRONG information into the eletronic brain - can it check information (for instance with a French dictionary) and then decide that Le Baron is absolutely trustworthy?
3 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:16 pm

I think at least some of the newer AI chatbots are supposed to learn from their chats with users but hopefully their programmers have drawn some lessons from the infamous case of Microsoft's "Tay":

https://www.theverge.com/2016/3/24/1129 ... bot-racist
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:41 pm

Iversen wrote:How would the machine react to

"You are an idiot. This "or" is roughly the same in French as "however" in English and it has absolutely nothing to do with "ou", which indicates a choice between two alternatives. And now show me that you have understood this (and don't waste your time on empty apologies)".

Can the machine learn? But hey, then anybody could deliberately feed WRONG information into the eletronic brain - can it check information (for instance with a French dictionary) and then decide that Le Baron is absolutely trustworthy?

Yes, this is actually interesting. I asked the AI this question previously and the reply was that it checks such information against multiple other sources. I then asked if it used 'reputable' sources and it said it uses 'journals'. Yet all the links it provides are just ordinary websites and when I challenge them, it adopts my 'corrections' and repeats my words. Apparently, under questioning, it says this is 'learning' in order to provide better answers/information. The journal links it did give were all dead links to 404 pages!

The model seems to be to just gather all points-of-view available on the internet (or its database) and offer them. The main thrust of its programming is to deny that one or several views may be correct and to default to a position of: 'many views exist and it's up to us to decide which'. As such it is not discerning, and makes no judgements (probably can't make them) about whether information is not just correct, but actually just nonsense.

The illusion of human-like intelligence might well be causing some users to put more faith into this as a 'thinking system' than what is really there.
1 x
- Jonathan Swift

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:02 pm

Perplexity.ai has the correct answer and also refers to the human sources where he got it from: [1] ...

How do I use the French word 'or' (not meaning 'gold')? What does it mean in English?
Perplexity
The French word 'or' is a conjunction meaning 'however'
[1]
. It does not mean 'gold'
[2]
[3]
[4]
[5]
translation of the french word 'or'

The French conjunction 'or' translates to 'but/and yet' in English
[1]
. It is a coordinating conjunction, which are used to join two independent clauses
[2]
[3]
[4]
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:16 pm

Which could just be located by an ordinary internet search, though the point is that it is hit and miss for an AI according to what is located and how it is presented.

I'm only interested in how humans read and understand information.
0 x
- Jonathan Swift

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:28 pm

youchat prompt:

what are the meanings of French "or"

The French word "or" has multiple meanings depending on the context in which it is used. It can mean "gold," "either," "or," "moreover," "however," and "as a result." In some cases, "or" is used as a conjunction to join two sentences together, similar to the English word "but." In other cases, it is used to indicate an alternative, similar to the English word "or." As a noun, "or" can also refer to gold, as in the phrase "un lingot d'or," which means "a bar of gold."
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:45 pm

It was youchat I asked originally and it changes its mind. I don't know what you are aiming to show me.
0 x
- Jonathan Swift

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:34 pm

Le Baron wrote:It was youchat I asked originally and it changes its mind. I don't know what you are aiming to show me.

We have to be aware of the importance of the prompts that we give the AI and how these prompts work and can be phrased and directed to provide the best answers. The AI did not "change its mind", it had the answer, because it got a different prompt.
I'm sure we will get guides in the future on the "art of finding the best prompts".
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”