More frustrating AI failures with youchat

General discussion about learning languages
luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: More frustrating AI failures with youchat

Postby luke » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:24 pm

https://huggingface.co/spaces/dalle-mini/dalle-mini had these ideas about ...

I was a teenage chatbot bully
i_was_a_teenage_chatbot_bully.png

With a nod to ...
i_was_a_teenage_werewolf.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:27 pm

Le Baron wrote:
Which language uses the most idioms and turns of phrase during ordinary speech?

I'm glad you chose to put this question to the GiantElectricBrain. :-) Idioms are what I most often notice, or rather what I remember noticing in languages.

With idioms and colocations often being mirrored in English and French/German I have wondered if any are known to have come to us from the Romans? or Vikings? etc. Could you ask that? Are there pan-European idioms/colocations; which are the oldest of them; what are their origins?
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:55 pm

DaveAgain wrote:I'm glad you chose to put this question to the GiantElectricBrain. :-) Idioms are what I most often notice, or rather what I remember noticing in languages.

With idioms and colocations often being mirrored in English and French/German I have wondered if any are known to have come to us from the Romans? or Vikings? etc. Could you ask that? Are there pan-European idioms/colocations; which are the oldest of them; what are their origins?

This is actually what I had in mind with regard to west European Germanic languages + French. I know quite a lot of shared idioms and turns of phrase between French/German/Dutch and English. Obviously there are also ones in those other languages which are unknown in English. My annoyance was that I know, KNOW for a fact! :lol: that Dutch and French use a lot of turns of shared phrase in ordinary speech. As such I was highly sceptical with the chatbot's conclusions. Of course what it really reflects is the delivery of internet information without it being actually thought about and questioned.

I don't hold AI in very high regard and I think programmer people and those mathematicians who research this are deluded with regard to its usefulness and efficacy (though when you question this they pretend it's your fault for asking the wrong questions and the goalposts are shifted with regard to the purpose). It's really just a talking search engine, but without the thinking brain receiving the information. As my 'conversations' with it have convinced me, it can't even get the logic right after finding the information; acting more like one of those blackguards searching the net for 'proof' and 'evidence' during an online dispute.
4 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:25 pm

I think the new generation of chatbots has a lot of potential as a starting point for further research and thinking on a topic, or as a quick way to find out what some common opinions on an issue are. It's not a divine oracle with answers to every question or a final authority on factual matters, which is, let's be honest, how a decent number of lazy students are going to use it.

:lol:
3 x

noblethings
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (False beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18899

Postby noblethings » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:24 pm

With systems like this, the word "artificial" in A.I., really is worth its weight in gold... :lol: :lol:
0 x
French audio input (70 hours): : 70 / 70
FSI vol 1 [89 tapes] : 30 / 89
unit 5 : 5 / 7

Return to “General Language Discussion”