Scored C1 from A2 in dialang reading after two months

General discussion about learning languages
Huuren van Fietsen
Languages: Slovak (N), English (C), Dutch (A)

Scored C1 from A2 in dialang reading after two months

Postby Huuren van Fietsen » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:37 pm

I would like to share my experience in dialang. I am learning dutch, and let me be very clear, I am not C1.

I did some non-systematic learning now and then. In November, after reading Charlie and the Choclate factory in Dutch, I tested myself on dialang reading and scored A2. I thought maybe A0 would be more appropriate because I was quite lost during the questions. I think I just got lucky in guessing the answers to be honest.

Then, I read Matilda, Harry Potter 1, and did anki on the shared deck of most frequent words. I went through core 1000 words and additional 600 top words in fiction. I also added some frequent words from the books I was reading.

Today, I am halfway through Harry Potter 2, and I scored C1 in dialang. I tried pretty hard at each question, and they were noticeably easier for me this time (i've got the same test as the last time, but I didn't get the answers).

I am definitely not C1, neither do I deserve it based on my workload, and I consider myself to be only at the beginning of my dutch journey, but I am done with dialang.
Last edited by Huuren van Fietsen on Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: Scored C1 from A2 in dialang reading in two months

Postby smallwhite » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:48 pm

Dialang and it didn't happen.
10 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

språker
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (C1), German (B2), French (A2), Lithuanian (B1 -- studying)

Re: Scored C1 from A2 in dialang reading after two months

Postby språker » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:13 pm

Huuren van Fietsen wrote:Today, I am halfway through Harry Potter 2, and I scored C1 in dialang.
I suppose that a test is just a test, and one online is worse. Of course, if you score C1 at the same time as you consider yourself at an A-level...

I am not so sure though, that an average language learner at the A2 level necessarily would be able to read the first Harry Potter books. Maybe you are in reality, at least when it comes to reading, at a B-level? Did you try to fit yourself in the self-assessment for the CEFR-levels? I.e. "at level B1, one should be able to ... etc."? For me an honest self assessment can be as accurate as a test, and hopefully only error one level up or down (A2 or B1, B1 or B2, etc.)
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:07 pm

I'm sceptical. Dialang is more robust as a testing tool than DLI and neither of them handle the test subject with kid gloves.

I'm eager to see the screenshot. Here are mine from the French and Dutch tests. The self-assessment feedback is for Dutch the other two are for French. There is one obvious drawback to this, I could have just done the test in English and posted those results. So there's not much chance of verifying all this. How do we show that Dialang 'happened'?

3 x

german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Postby german2k01 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:27 pm

Le Baron,

I would love to read about your experiences regarding developing good listening skills obviously apart from interacting with natives when living in your target country. What else can you do as a learner more so as a self-independent learner? How did you approach it? or do you think with time (i mean in years) it will get better? or do you think using "the right" resources/tools is key to developing good listening skills? Strategies? Active listening (working with transcriptions), repetitive listening? Increasing your overall vocabulary perhaps?

Thanks
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:33 pm

See my log. I don't want to hijack a main thread.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”