My Teacher ChatGPT.

General discussion about learning languages
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

My Teacher ChatGPT.

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:06 pm

So I have been reading various threads here on the forum related to getting help from teachers and ChatGPT (ChatGPT Dec 15 Version) as a polyglot. I recently asked the AI to become a typing tutor for me in Korean. So I thought, why not get the AI to act as a Korean language teacher and write me a lesson plan for the next 33 week. All things being equal and with the alignment of the stars and planets, I will return to Korean in about 35 weeks time. So I asked:

Code: Select all

Act as a professional Korean Teacher. I am your only student and I can take 3 lessons per week and do 5 hours of homework during the week, and another 5 hours at the weekend. Assuming my lessons are Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I need to progress from beginner (A1 on CEFR scale) to intermediate (B2 on CEFR scale) by the 1st of September this year.  Write a lesson plan for the next 33 weeks for me. Write a lesson plan for each week that will get me from A1 to B2 in 33 weeks.

And here is the response, slightly tidied.

33 weeks is a relatively short amount of time to go from A1 to B2 on the CEFR scale, and you may find that you need to continue studying even after that point in order to fully achieve fluency. That being said, I'll do my best to provide you with a comprehensive and effective plan that will help you make as much progress as possible.

Here's an example of a lesson plan that you could follow for the next 33 weeks:

Week 1: Introduction to the Korean alphabet (Hangeul)

Monday: Introduction to the basic principles of Hangeul and the formation of characters
    Wednesday: Practice writing basic Hangeul characters
    Friday: Review and practice writing words using Hangeul characters

Week 2: Basic grammar and sentence structure

Monday: Introduction to basic grammatical concepts such as verb conjugation and sentence structure
    Wednesday: Practice constructing basic sentences using grammar concepts
    Friday: Review and practice constructing more complex sentences

Week 3-4: Vocabulary building

Monday: Learn new vocabulary related to introductions, basic conversation, and daily activities
    Wednesday: Practice using newly acquired vocabulary in context
    Friday: Review and practice using vocabulary in more complex sentences

Week 5: Review and reinforcement

Monday: Review previously learned grammar, vocabulary and Hangeul
    Wednesday: Practice using grammar and vocabulary in conversation
    Friday: Consolidate learning from the week with a test

Week 6-8: Basic conversation and listening comprehension

Monday: Introduction to basic conversational phrases and listening comprehension
    Wednesday: Practice having basic conversations and listening to short dialogs
    Friday: Review and practice using conversational phrases in context

Week 9-12: Vocabulary expansion

Monday: Learn new vocabulary related to various topics such as food, travel, and leisure activities.

Week 13: Review and reinforcement

Monday: Review previously learned grammar, vocabulary and Hangeul

Week 14-17: Intermediate grammar and sentence structure

Monday: Introduction to more advanced grammatical concepts such as conditionals, relative clauses, and passive voice
    Wednesday: Practice constructing more complex sentences using grammar concepts
    Friday: Review and practice constructing even more complex sentences

Week 18-21: Intermediate conversation and listening comprehension

Monday: Introduction to more advanced conversational phrases and listening comprehension
    Wednesday: Practice having more complex conversations and listening to longer dialogs
    Friday: Review and practice using conversational phrases in context

Week 22-25: Vocabulary expansion and review

Monday: Learn new vocabulary related to various topics such as work, news, and current events

Week 26: Review and reinforcement

Monday: Review previously learned grammar, vocabulary, and Hangeul

Week 27-29: Reading and writing comprehension

Monday: Introduction to basic reading comprehension strategies and writing short paragraphs
    Wednesday: Practice reading short texts and writing short paragraphs
    Friday: Review and practice reading comprehension strategies

Week 30-32: Review and preparation for the final test

Monday: Review grammar, vocabulary, and Hangeul
    Wednesday: Practice using grammar and vocabulary in conversation and in various exercises
    Friday: Consolidate learning from the week with a test and also practice past paper on your own.

Week 33: Final test and evaluation

Monday: Take a final test to evaluate your progress and understanding
    Wednesday: Review test results and discuss any areas where additional practice is needed
    Friday: Final class wrap up and discuss future plan of learning.

Please note that this is a general lesson plan, and you may find that you need to adjust it to suit your own learning style and needs. Additionally, it's important to keep in mind that you also need to practice speaking and listening in real-life situations as much as possible, such as talking with native speakers or watching Korean TV shows or videos, for better improvement.

Also, it's important to remember that learning a language requires consistency, discipline and perseverance, and five hours of homework during the week and another five hours at the weekend may not be sufficient to achieve your desired level, so you may want to consider adding more time to your daily schedule. Additionally, it's important to not get discouraged if you don't make as much progress as you'd like to in a given week, and to remember that progress can be slow and take time.

I didn't think it gave enough information about the homework, so I asked it to elaborate.

Certainly! Here's an example of how you could divide your 5-10 hours of weekly homework to complement your lesson plan:

Vocabulary practice: 2-3 hours

Review the vocabulary words and phrases you learned in class each week, and practice using them in context through exercises such as flashcards, fill-in-the-blank sentences, and matching games.

Grammar practice: 2-3 hours

Review the grammar concepts you learned in class each week, and practice using them in exercises such as gap-filling exercises, sentence transformations, and short writing tasks.

Reading and listening comprehension: 1-2 hours

Read short texts and listen to audio materials that are appropriate to your level, and practice understanding and interpreting the content through exercises such as multiple-choice questions and summarizing tasks.

Speaking and writing practice: 1-2 hours

Practice speaking and writing in Korean by having conversations with native speakers or other language partners, recording yourself speaking and then analyzing your performance, or writing short compositions on a topic of your choice.

Cultural study: 1-2 hours

Learn more about Korean culture by reading articles, watching videos or TV shows, or listening to music. This will help you better understand the context in which the language is used, and also expand your vocabulary.

It's important to note that the above homework schedule is just a general guide and you may find that you need to adjust it depending on your own needs and how you are progressing. As you progress and start to feel more comfortable with the language, you may want to adjust your homework schedule to focus more on speaking, listening and reading comprehension practice to improve fluency in the language.

Also, you may want to consider to use mobile apps or websites such as Duolingo, Memrise, Lingodeer, which can provide you with a variety of exercises and activities to help you practice and reinforce what you've learned in class. These platforms are a great way to supplement your study and can help you make faster progress.

This was good, but I needed more so I asked. I need lots of work on listening comprehension. What exercises do you recommend?

It sounds like listening comprehension is an area where you would like to focus more on. Here are some exercises that can help you improve your listening comprehension specifically:

Listen and Repeat: Listen to short dialogs or phrases, then repeat them aloud to practice your pronunciation and intonation. Try to mimic the rhythm and stress patterns of the native speakers as closely as possible.

Listen and Respond: Listen to short dialogs or phrases, then respond to a question or prompt related to what you heard. This could be a multiple-choice question, a fill-in-the-blank exercise, or a short writing task.

Dictation: Listen to a short passage and then write down what you hear. This is a great way to practice your listening skills as well as your spelling and writing in the language.

Shadowing: Listen to a native speaker speak and repeat the words and phrases immediately after. This will help you improve your pronunciation, intonation and rhythm

Listen and Translate: Listen to short dialogs or phrases, then translate them into English. This will help you develop your understanding of the grammar and vocabulary used in the dialogs.

Listening quizzes or tests: Take listening comprehension quizzes or tests to help you gauge your progress and identify areas where you need more practice.

Listening to real-life conversations: Try to find native speakers that can help you practice listening to real-life conversations. This will help you get used to the natural flow and pace of the language and help you pick up common slang and colloquial expressions.

Get familiar with the Korean accent and dialects: Koreans from different regions speak with different accents and may use different vocabulary words, as you listen to more and more Korean, try to familiarize yourself with different accents and dialects.

Try using language learning apps such as FluentU, Lingodeer, HelloTalk, or Pod101, these apps offer a variety of listening exercises, as well as a chance to practice listening and speaking with native speakers.

It's also important to note that, consistent practice is important to make progress in listening comprehension. Try to include listening exercises in your daily study routine, and gradually increase the difficulty level as you improve. It's important to not get discouraged if you don't understand everything the first time, listening comprehension takes time and patience to improve, just keep at it and you will make progress.

Over all I think this is a pretty solid bunch of advice. But given that I also have access to a few thousand smart human beings who all are learning languages. Do you have any additional advice that the AI didn't give me? Is there something which was left out, glossed over, or just plan wrong?
8 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: My Teacher ChatGPT.

Postby Le Baron » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:41 pm

ChatGPT wrote:33 weeks is a relatively short amount of time to go from A1 to B2 on the CEFR scale

Maybe ChatGPT's intelligence isn't so artificial.
11 x

german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Postby german2k01 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:24 pm

I tried it but it is down for some reason. Can It give advice if one hits a plateau in one's language learning process and needs to do something different to make further progress on the way to achieving fluency?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:53 pm

german2k01 wrote:I tried it but it is down for some reason. Can It give advice if one hits a plateau in one's language learning process and needs to do something different to make further progress on the way to achieving fluency?

It can give you advice on anything. If that advice is good or not... well... you'll have to decide that for yourself.
8 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:08 pm

I got on and asked the question (I also asked it in French):

Le Baron wrote:: Do you have any tips for developing oral expression from reading and listening. I mean transforming this knowledge into output?

ChatGPT wrote:: Yes, here are some tips to develop your oral expression from reading and listening:

- Practice regularly: It is important to speak the language as often as possible to improve your oral expression. If you don't have the opportunity to talk with native speakers, you can practice by talking to yourself or making recordings of your own voice to listen to later.

- Listening to native speakers: Listening to native speakers is an effective way to improve your accent and pronunciation. Listen to film dialogue, music, radio shows, podcasts, and more.

- Imitate native speakers: Once you've listened to native speakers, try to mimic their intonation, rhythm, and accent. This will allow you to develop your ability to imitate native speakers and improve your oral expression.

- Participate in conversations online or in person: Live conversations with native speakers are a great way to practice your speaking and receive feedback on your progress.

I'm sure some people here said this. :)

I had another argument with ChatGPT about the age of Dutch in Belgium compared to NL, because it gave me two contradictory responses...then had a 'body error' and went silent. Very human.
6 x

BrennoGold
White Belt
Languages: Native: Brazilian Portuguese
Can speak: American English and Italian
Learning German

Postby BrennoGold » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:31 am

I've asked the AI to write me 3 Assimil lessons, and I gave it a description of how Assimil lessons are like - which I found on the internet. The first lesson was pretty similar to what a normal Assimil course starts with, but the next two lessons got incredibly more complex and long too quick. I guess if you tweak it enough, you could make it work for you, but I had a hard time with it.
4 x

Lysander
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18668

Postby Lysander » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:02 am

BrennoGold wrote:I've asked the AI to write me 3 Assimil lessons, and I gave it a description of how Assimil lessons are like - which I found on the internet. The first lesson was pretty similar to what a normal Assimil course starts with, but the next two lessons got incredibly more complex and long too quick. I guess if you tweak it enough, you could make it work for you, but I had a hard time with it.

You made me want to try this too!

Me: are you familiar with assimil lessons?

I am familiar with the concept of "assimil" lessons, which are language learning methods developed by the French company Assimil. The method emphasizes the use of authentic language materials and encourages learners to begin using the new language as soon as possible through a process of "active wave" of learning, which consist of understanding and producing new language before really mastering it. It's well know for its effectiveness on teaching a foreign languages.

Me: please create 10 assimil style lessons for me to learn Latin American Spanish. each dialogue should contain between 30 and 140 words.

I'd be happy to help you create some "assimil"-style lessons to learn Latin American Spanish. Keep in mind that this will be a simplified version of the Assimil method, and that actual lessons provided by Assimil are usually much more comprehensive, with exercises, audio recordings, and detailed explanations. Here are the 10 dialogues:

Lesson 1:
Hola, ¿cómo te llamas? (Hello, what is your name?)
Me llamo Juan. ¿Y tú? (My name is Juan. And you?)
Me llamo Marta. ¿De dónde eres? (My name is Marta. Where are you from?)
Soy de España. ¿Y tú? (I'm from Spain. And you?)
Soy de México. ¿Hablas español? (I'm from Mexico. Do you speak Spanish?)
Sí, hablo español. ¿Y tú? (Yes, I speak Spanish. And you?)
Sí, también hablo español. (Yes, I also speak Spanish.)

Lesson 2:
¿Qué tal? (What's up?)
¡Bien! ¿Y tú? (Good! And you?)
Muy bien, gracias. ¿Qué planes tienes hoy? (Very good, thanks. What plans do you have today?)
Voy a ir al cine. ¿Y tú? (I'm going to the movies. And you?)
Yo voy a hacer ejercicio en el parque. (I'm going to exercise in the park.)
¡Qué divertido! ¡Nos vemos! (How fun! See you!)

Lesson 3:
¿Dónde está el baño? (Where is the bathroom?)
El baño está al fondo del pasillo a la derecha. (The bathroom is at the end of the hallway to the right.)
¿Y la cocina? (And the kitchen?)
La cocina está a la izquierda. (The kitchen is to the left.)
¿Y la habitación? (And the bedroom?)
La habitación está en el segundo piso. (The bedroom is on the second floor.)

Lesson 4:
¿Quieres ir al restaurante? (Do you want to go to the restaurant?)
Sí, me encantaría. ¿A qué hora? (Yes, I'd love to. At what time?)
¿A las 7 de la tarde? (At 7 PM?)
Sí, perfecto. ¿Dónde está el restaurante? (Yes, perfect. Where is the restaurant?)
Está en la calle principal. (It's on Main Street.)
De acuerdo, nos vemos allí. (Okay, see you there.)

Lesson 5:
¿Tienes un coche? (Do you have a car?)
No, no tengo coche. Pero tengo una bicicleta. (No, I don't have a car. But I have a bicycle.)
¿Y tú? (And you?)
Yo tengo un coche, pero prefiero usar mi bicicleta cuando el tiempo está bonito. (I have a car

strangely it just cut off there. I wonder if it has a character count cap.

I don't want to create too huge of a wall of text. But I got it to continue through lesson 10. I then asked for fill in the blank exercises based off the above, but it shared the exact sentences with some words missing. So I challenged it to try again on making exercises but providing the vocabulary in varied context:

Sure, here are new fill-in-the-blank exercises using vocabulary from the lessons, but in different contexts:

Exercise 1:
Me encanta __________, especialmente en verano. (I love swimming, especially in summer)
La __________ es un deporte muy saludable. (Swimming is a very healthy sport)
A menudo voy al __________ después del trabajo. (I often go to the pool after work)
¿Te gusta __________? (Do you like swimming?)

Answers: nadar, natación, natatorio, nadar

Exercise 2:
Mi hermana es __________, ella sabe tocar muchos instrumentos. (My sister is musical, she knows how to play many instruments)
Anoche fui a un __________ de jazz. (Last night I went to a jazz concert)
Me encanta escuchar música __________. (I love listening to classical music)
¿Qué tipo de música te gusta a ti? (What type of music do you like?)

Answers: musical, concierto, clásica, a ti

Exercise 3:
Mañana tengo una __________ importante con el jefe. (Tomorrow I have an important meeting with the boss)
En mi trabajo soy __________ de ventas. (In my job I am a sales manager)
Hoy en día es importante saber manejar programas de __________. (Nowadays it is important to know how to handle computer programs)
¿Qué haces para __________ en tu trabajo? (What do you do to manage in your job?)

Answers: reunión, gerente, computación, manejar

Exercise 4:
El fin de semana voy a __________ al campo con amigos. (This weekend I'm going to go camping with friends)
Me encanta __________ en la naturaleza. (I love being in nature)
Necesitamos comprar una __________ antes de salir. (We need to buy a tent before leaving)
¿Qué planes tienes para el fin de semana? (What plans do you have for the weekend?)

Answers: acampar, estar, carpa, tienes

Exercise 5:
El clima hoy está __________, va a ser un buen día para salir. (The weather today is nice, it's going to be a good day to go out)
Me gusta caminar cuando el tiempo está __________. (I like walking when the weather is clear)
Mañana va a llover, no voy a poder jugar al __________. (Tomorrow it's going to rain, I won't be able to play golf)
¿Qué tiempo va a hacer mañana? (What is the weather going to be like tomorrow?)

Answers: bonito, despejado, golf, hacer

I hope these exercises are helpful in providing you more varied contexts to help you practice the vocabulary from the lessons.

I leave it to you all to judge how it did. But what a fun tool. It is addictive to try to fine tune to get exactly what you want from it.
7 x
: 17 / 30 Fluenz: Latin American Spanish Vol 1
: 17 / 150 Fluenz: Latin American Spanish - Overall

german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Postby german2k01 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:19 pm

I must say pretty impressive. I asked a question about the selection of German magazines based on CEFR levels. It gave me a list of German magazines based on the A2, B1, B2, and C1 levels. When I visit shops like Rewe or other shops that sell such magazines so I know which ones to buy.
5 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:41 pm

Here is a presentation of a webinar for German teachers of English

http://medienwelten.schule/wp-content/u ... ung-oe.pdf

Zeitenwende durch Künstliche Intelligenz?
Was bedeutet das für den Englischunterricht?

At the end the AI is asked to write poems on Trump and Obama and it becomes obvious that political bias is programmed into it.
They ask for a digital ethics council and a European version of AI.
If you want to escape it you will have to live like the Amish.
Open.ai is a private company, they have your phone number, all your searches are stored.
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:11 pm

Kraut wrote:Open.ai is a private company, they have your phone number, all your searches are stored.

Yes, this is what I didn't like so I got round it with an old work SIM which I can still use.

I had an economic discussion with it yesterday and it was being very obstinate about some things. There is a certain bias programmed into it.
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”