Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2023

General discussion about learning languages
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2023

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:41 pm

Mine are way too ambitious. Put some snazz on my Irish, work on French active skills, and then start Old Irish, Middle Welsh, Breton and Latin and maybe Old French...This won't last I feel.
11 x

piotr
White Belt
Languages: Polish (N), Colombian Spanish (C2), English (B2), Southern Quechua (B1), Tikuna (A2), and others unworthy of mention here

Postby piotr » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:35 am

In 2023, I'm going to focus on (1) further development of my linguistic computer program and (2) principally on the study of these seven languages:

- ENG (My English is horrific and 365 days are definitely insufficient to fix it or make it any better but I'll do my best.)

- LAT (The basics. I don't know how much time I'll be able to spend on the study of Latin in 2023--Classical Latin is for me a kind of a long-term goal rather than a priority but this is a must-know language.)

- POL (This is my mother tongue but I want to dedicate several days to it in 2023 in the aim to enhance the support for it in my program.)

- POR (I'm going to restudy the basics before my travel to the Amazon Jungle.)

- QUY (I've already forgotten much of my conversational Quechua. I can spend at most several days on the study of the ethnolect of Ayacucho in 2023.)

- SPA (I've been studying or otherwise using this language virtually everyday for 15 years. My reading and listening skills are already native speaker-alike. In 2023, I want to ensure my pronunciation is phonetically indistinguishable from that of a native speaker from central Colombia--this is my main linguistic goal for 2023. 8-) )

- TCA (I'll keep studying Tikuna... and practise it with native speakers from the Amazon. This is my most important goal for 2023 besides Spanish. :D )
8 x
Language converter for English, Latin, Polish, Quechua, Spanish, and Tikuna:
https://github.com/piotrbajdek/lngcnv :D

El Forastero
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), French (C1), English (C1), Italian (C1), Portuguese (C1), German (Beginner), Russian (beginner), Wayuunaiki (Beginner)

Postby El Forastero » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:28 am

I don't know if it's too amitious, but I would like to reach a B2 level in German this year. I don't know if I will present an exam, because basically it's too expensive for me and I don't really need it (I simply WANT it).

I'm at the moment in the blurry border between A2/B1, so I've calculated a pretty intensive 20-hour-weekly study, including everything I can do. As I don't have plans to move to Germany nor friends to talk with, maybe my focus will be content consumption, especially literature.

The other goal would be to present the IELTS and reach a C2 band, but I'm not sure yet. I consider my English good enough even to teach someone who wants to pass a C1 exam (Two of my studends have done it), but apparently it's still in the C1 band, according to some simulations. I would need massive both input and output, and i'm not as interested as I would be required, to be honest. Let's see if I found some unexpected motivation :lol:
11 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.
Visit my blog (In spanish)
Visit my youtube channel (In spanish)
: 4 / 10 10 C1 before being 55 years old
Are you looking for an online spanish tutor?

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:25 am

With two corona years and one year where my Mother's health and my own move have prevented serious travelling I ought to be able to do better this year - and some of the potential travel destinations could also be used for language training.
13 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:53 pm

Iversen wrote:With two corona years and one year where my Mother's health and my own move have prevented serious travelling I ought to be able to do better this year - and some of the potential travel destinations could also be used for language training.

What are some travel destinations for 2023?
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:09 pm

Well, my Greek has long been at a level where I could use it passively, and the last two times I went to Greece I could start to use the language actively after 3-4 days or so, so maybe it was a candidate for a monolingual voyage (which is my criterion for being able to speak a language). I'm not quite so sure about my Slavic languages, but trying them out in practice without going all in for a monolingual trip should be feasible. And my Germanic and Romance languages should also sometimes be used in practice so that they don't get rusty. So I have lots of plans, but time and economy and practical considerations will of course always kill most of them.
11 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:09 pm

I would like to follow @rdearman's example and say that I only have 2:
  1. Study 30 minutes of French per day
  2. Spend some time studying my other languages

However, it's never that simple with me, so here are a few more specific goals I'd like to meet for the year:
  • I would like to sit some sort of French certification, for which I'm investigating options.
  • I would like to do some Kwiziq work most days. 5 a day is the generic goal, but I don't expect to do Kwiziq every single day.
  • I would like to complete the Super Challenge in French.
9 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:05 pm

Despite the similarities with Iversen's post (pandemic, family health and moving from A to B), I can almost guarantee that I won't travel at all. I'd be surprised if I'll even leave town. I usually don't make any New Year's Resolutions - I hope I can stick to my daily routines, that's all.
14 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

ryanheise
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner)

Postby ryanheise » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:56 pm

After a difficult pandemic where I acquired more than a handful of chronic diseases and also lost my mobility, my resolution for 2023 is first and foremost to get my health back to a functional level, and I'm confident that my language learning will naturally sort itself out after that without any need to set a language-specific goal.

Prior to the pandemic, my language learning had always been tied to my daily walks where I'd either listen to my audio flashcards or listen to Japanese audio content, do shadowing, or simply walk to the meeting place of a language exchange. These walks both inspired me and also took me away from the everyday distractions at home. And when I was really struggling to walk during the pandemic, it had the knock-on effect that I stopped all language learning, aside from the occasional Skype language exchange.

So for this year, I've mapped out my entire 2023 calendar with the new walking routes I'll be able to achieve on certain dates (all plotted on Google maps) when my muscles have grown to be able to support that distance at their current rate of progress. I'm really excited to be able to see visually where I'll be in 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, etc. and of course the longer I can walk, the longer I can also spend listening to Japanese. By March/April I should be able to reach the distance to language exchange locations.

(I'm thinking maybe I should also start a 2023 language log: "Walking my way to fluency" :lol: )
20 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:13 pm

ryanheise wrote:Prior to the pandemic, my language learning had always been tied to my daily walks where I'd either listen to my audio flashcards or listen to Japanese audio content, do shadowing, or simply walk to the meeting place of a language exchange. These walks both inspired me and also took me away from the everyday distractions at home.

Hear, hear!
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “General Language Discussion”