Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2023

General discussion about learning languages
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2023

Postby smallwhite » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:27 am

Time to ask...

What are your New Year's resolutions for 2023?

Will you start a new language? Or do you expect to finally finish off the one you started last decade?
Will you set new goals? Or are you continuing with last decade's?
Will you finally come out of the silent period? Or are you more likely to enter into yet another wanderlust odyssey?

Will you track your progress with progress bars in your signature? Or streak calendars on your wall?
Are your goals S.M.A.R.T.? Or do you prefer K.I.S.S.?
And what's your usual success rates with New Year's resolutions?

They say you're more likely to succeed if you make your resolutions public, so take advantage of it and hit that reply button!

Similar thread:
* 2022 by Ug_Caveman
* 2021 by Querneus
* 2020 by smallwhite
* 2019 by NoManches
10 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

språker
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (C1), German (B2), French (A2), Lithuanian (B1 -- studying)

Re: Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2023

Postby språker » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:54 pm

As for the last couple of years, I am hoping that this year will be a major break-through(tm) in my Lithuanian :-). I am at least planning to finish reading all books in the LOTR trilogy (am exactly half ways now). I am also thinking of signing up for an evening course. I did this kind of course some years ago, and although the content at that time was a bit narrow, mostly studying the grammar of verb participles, I all in all remember a boost.

I have for a while focused on listening and reading, so engaging in a course group might be good for “activating” new passive vocabulary. It will also get me away from home two times a week—not a small achievement for a working-from-home father with two-year-old child.
13 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:10 pm

I only have two.
  1. Korean 30+ minutes every day.
  2. Do other stuff with languages.
14 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:22 pm

Expressing goals is counterproductive for me. If my mind is aware of a goal, it tries to sabotage the goal. Stealth-study the only way to go. :D
18 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:27 pm

MorkTheFiddle » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:22 am
Expressing goals is counterproductive for me. If my mind is aware of a goal, it tries to sabotage the goal. Stealth-study the only way to go. :D
Many thanks for sharing your very sublime observation; most grateful.
2 x

Irena
Green Belt
Languages: Serbian (N), English (C2), French (C1), Russian (C1), Czech (C1), dabbled in a couple of others, dreaming of many others

Postby Irena » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:08 pm

I have one small goal and one big goal, both for Czech.

The small goal is to read 1000 pages of Czech. Actually, a couple of years ago, I set myself the goal of reading 10 000 pages of Czech, and so far, I've made it through right about 9000. So, 1000 left. This is very doable, and I should get there within a month or two.

The big goal is to pass the C1 level Czech exam. It's offered three times this year: in March, May, and October. I'll take it either in March or in May (I haven't decided yet). I hope I pass. If not, I'll have gotten some practice, and I'll know where I need to improve, and then I'll try again in October. Unfortunately, there isn't that much test-specific material for this exam. There's one practice exam on the Internet, but not much more. So, it's not completely clear to me how I should prepare (beyond just working to improve all four skills in a general way). It's possible I'll have to take the exam twice (hopefully not more than that), but with any luck, I'll have my piece of paper by the end of the year at the latest.

I'm not going to start learning any new languages. I have this general idea that I need to refresh my French, which has been sitting utterly neglected for the past couple of years. Initially, I tried to learn Czech (a must, given that I live in Prague), while maintaining both French and Russian. But that was simply too much, and so I decided to learn Czech, actively maintain Russian so it wouldn't turn into Czech (interference and all that), and put French on the back burner. At some point, I'll need to get back to French...
11 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:15 pm

I don't have any particular goals for the new year. Just more of the same. I might get French back in the rotation in the latter part of the year if I can manage to put German back into the regular rotation in the first part of the year. Otherwise just plugging away on my challenges. I haven't felt the urge to add any new languages in quite a long time so there's that.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:24 pm

Learn Welsh to B1
Learn Dutch below C Level

I kid. Though technically, I only need to learn 1 Dutch word to achieve it, because A0 is still below C...

Complete my Mongolian 40 Day challenge
Get to around B2/C1* at Vietnamese (maybe a bit ambitious on C1)
Get Mongolian to B1*
Finish putting together my Tuvan study materials and make progress learning it.
Get through at least 5 Vietnamese books (maybe a small number, but I very rarely read novels, so I figure I need to be realistic on what I'd be motivated to do).
Sing at least 3 songs in Tuvan well...and record them and embarrass myself by putting them up.

*Based on how I interpret it, rather than any formal assessment. Just a rough estimate of where I think I should be.
7 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:50 pm

• In French, get to (at least) A1 listening and A2 reading before stopping.
  • Change direction in German; work on production (written or spoken). My rut is comfortable but it's not very productive for the time invested.

We are moving in a few months and I just discovered that an future next door neighbor knows German! Not native or anything, but she could speak such that it wasn't painful :-) I'm really hoping she'll be willing to let me practice on her... how convenient!
4 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:53 pm

smallwhite wrote:Or do you expect to finally finish off the one you started last decade?...

I feel watched. :shock:
11 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”