Some thoughts about ODA testing

General discussion about learning languages
luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: Some thoughts about ODA testing

Postby luke » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:27 am

Le Baron wrote:Was it Monty Python or Fry & Laurie? Or perhaps The Two Ronnies?

I could also be considered the 'administrator' who can't do. I have no talents, but for needling. I should probably go into politics, but it's bad enough already.

I was thinking Fry & Laurie.

Don't misunderstand. I wasn't criticizing your analysis. I think you're right that "reverted" and "enacted" were not good word choices in those contexts. We would expect above average language usage in a test like ODA, but what you revealed is that it is sub-par. From that, I extrapolated that the test writers were 'administrator' types. The other George Bernard Shaw quote was just to give some context for anyone who hadn't heard it before. You, as a native speaker with a rich background, I assumed knew that quote, and the Woody Allen joke quote, 'those who can't teach, teach gym'.
2 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:49 pm

luke wrote:I was thinking Fry & Laurie.

Was it this one? :

2 x

Spaceman
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Intermediate Receptive), German (Rusty), French (Very Rusty)

Postby Spaceman » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:14 pm

You're definitely making a lot out of my light-hearted explanation of what I stated multiple times is an obvious error on their part.
0 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Postby Aloyse » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:11 pm

Isn't the ODA supposed to be based on "real life" documents? And those are not necessarily "perfect". For instance the voices are sometimes slurred, the audio has poor quality etc.
So I'm not exceedingly surprised that the language itself is not perfect...
1 x
Future me already did it.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:06 pm

Aloyse wrote:Isn't the ODA supposed to be based on "real life" documents? And those are not necessarily "perfect". For instance the voices are sometimes slurred, the audio has poor quality etc.

Interesting. That's not great news though. It's not very good to be 'tested' on something flawed, since it may mislead you into the wrong answer and affect your output score.

I'd expect the audio to have difficulties, that's one of the 'good' things, even if it makes it harder. Though they ought to filter these things for really far-out content. I heard one snippet of audio in the French using obscure words which might cause the listener to fixate on it and worry about missing something essential (though it wasn't). In general I find the open questions, i.e. that you can write into a box, pretty random. I wonder how they are judged, since it could be very wide-ranging and still completely correct/incorrect.

I did a second English test and wrote opinionated things and disagreed with things and wrote long answers. It seems to have little effect. I gained good scores on answers where I was essentially pointing out something different, but related to the actual question. I'm not convinced by the reading tests.

The listening is probably better Though maybe not for ordinary language learners because the subject matter is fixated on things like rebels taking villages, detailing the rebel group names. Clearly because it was intended for military use.
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:54 am

Generally I feel it's good practise to provide the full title of an acronym with the first use. ie "——— — ———" (ODA).

However, it's fairly safe to assume that acronyms such as FL, TL, IDK etc are widely understood, some being specific to the language learning sphere, others just general, but widespread. It seems it has been assumed that "ODA" fits into one of these two categories.

And yet, despite me clearly not knowing what it means, I really don't want to read lengthy posts to try to find out exactly what "ODA" stands for either. I'd rather just whinge and whine about it in a lengthy, arrogant post (I could've just asked), so please enlighten me, what does "ODA" mean?
3 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:36 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:Generally I feel it's good practise to provide the full title of an acronym with the first use. ie "——— — ———" (ODA).

I agree.

I'm thinking this is the Online Diagnostic Assessment of the DLI ;) (Defense Language Institute).
1 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:54 pm

It's Old Doddering Australians.

Well, maybe not. :lol: I thought a lot of people on here used the ODA tests.
1 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Postby Aloyse » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:00 pm

Le Baron wrote:Clearly because it was intended for military use.

Additionally, for military/intelligence purposes, the goal is to decipher the military or intelligence (or gang/cartel/...) reports and orders (or phone calls, social media messages, reddit posts etc) of the enemy,
and the enemy grunts and spies or bad guys are unlikely to speak or write perfect language (since they are not teachers).

The ODA is geared towards practical understanding of those texts or utterances that may contain errors that could be made by uneducated native speakers. And with English in particular, the range of such errors is enormous what with the wide range of countries and local dialects.

So yeah it's not an academic language test.
2 x
Future me already did it.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:12 pm

Aloyse wrote:Isn't the ODA supposed to be based on "real life" documents? And those are not necessarily "perfect". For instance the voices are sometimes slurred, the audio has poor quality etc.

This explains the DLPT. (my bold)
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “General Language Discussion”