Writing in your target language? By hand or Typing?

General discussion about learning languages
german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Writing in your target language? By hand or Typing?

Postby german2k01 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:55 pm

If you are thinking about writing in your target languages, what is your usual preference? By hand or Typing? Why?

As an additional question, do you like to copy word for word, for example, a paragraph from a book or an online forum or a website, etc?
Are there any benefits to doing this sort of practice if your goal is to write spontaneously and correctly whatever you are thinking about?

Thanks
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Writing in your target language? By hand or Typing?

Postby Iversen » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:01 pm

If I write for myself and only for myself, I prefer doing it by hand - but I don't mind using a keyboard for Llorg. As for copying by hand (and for me that's always by hand): I do that as part of my intensive studies, but this activity has not the purpose to teach me to write stuff spontaneously and (maybe) correctly. Its purpose is to slow me down so that I can't just skip irky details. Writing stuff freely is quite another thing. For that I start out thinking in the intended language, then I start writing by hand or by keyboard, and finally I try to remove the most glaring errors before I post the result. Else I do it when it's too late.
7 x

desafiar
White Belt
Languages: English native, studying Spanish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18131

Postby desafiar » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:34 pm

I write only on my computer.

Edits for corrections and revisions can be made in a number of ways. I can insert them below the original for comparison or showing self-made revisions or correction by others, make inline notes or use various highlights, and search and dating is always available. All that can be done at any time without disturbing the original or what may be below it.

Another benefit is that I can type much faster than writing by hand, multiples faster. Being able to read what was written also adds value.
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:14 pm

I learned the Hangul (the Korean alphabet) and I both type and write it by hand. I was more or less forced to write by hand because my tutor would write in Korean and I needed to copy it down quickly. Later when he was sure I could write, he allowed me to take photos of the whiteboard. :)

I have taught myself to touch type in Korean after I installed my Korean keyboard. I find it easier to ask language partners for clarification when I can type the letter. Especially when I need to ask questions around pronunciation. Like: "Are you saying 벅 or 먹 ?) It comes in very handy, for example, American's seem to hear: a P sound but I hear a B sound in the word 부산. (Large city on Southern tip of South Korea)

Like desafiar I mostly use the computer. But I also try to write on paper just because it is difficult to write well in Korean so practice makes perfect. I don't think I have ever handwritten anything in French or Italian.
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:08 pm

If it's only for learning and I am the only one who's going to read it, by hand.
1 x

tolgylop
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (可), Spanish (bastante), German (fair), Japanese (learning), Italian (learning), French (dabbling), Taiwanese (dabbling)

Postby tolgylop » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:44 am

My handwriting is terrible, even in English, so I type everything except the occasional note or postcard.

Almost all written communication I do in other languages is in the form of text messages or e-mails, so they are always typed. I send and reply to Chinese messages almost daily for work and typing is much faster and easier for me than writing (or using a handwriting input method). The fact that I have to use both traditional and simplified characters complicates things too, so typing works better for me.
2 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:23 am

I like to write things by hand when I'm studying. the tactile, mechanical act of writing it out helps me remember things better than typing it would.

if I'm typing then I try to always type TL text rather than copy & pasting.

if it's something I'm going to send - eg email - then I'll just type it direct.
8 x
Super Challenge progress French (double):
reading: 5000 / 5000 reading: 5000 / 5000
watching: 150 / 150 watching: 150 / 150

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Postby Ug_Caveman » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:31 pm

I find writing by hand helps me learn and retain more information

This is the same for most things I do - not just languages
5 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:17 pm

As with previous posters, I learn better writing by hand. Ancient Greek, however, is so hard to write, that almost always I type it.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Gaoling97
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (Advanced), Chinese (Intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18675

Postby Gaoling97 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:21 am

I only write things by hand if there is a different script that I need to practice (especially Chinese or Japanese). Otherwise, I largely consider writing things by hand to be a waste of time. When I am practicing writing in a foreign language, my goal is to practice "writing" in terms of creating grammatically correct and natural-sounding sentences with proper word choice; it's not literally about the ink on the paper. I understand some people claim to retain information better when they write stuff by hand, but this is not my personal experience. And even if there is some benefit, I still don't think it is worth the trade-off that writing by hand is significantly slower.

As an additional question, do you like to copy word for word, for example, a paragraph from a book or an online forum or a website, etc?
Are there any benefits to doing this sort of practice if your goal is to write spontaneously and correctly whatever you are thinking about?

Kind of. Not a full paragraph in most cases, but I do make sentence cards in Anki with sentences taken from actual native speech. Obviously you have to learn the grammatical rules in a language, but if your goal is to speak/write "spontaneously and correctly", then what you will ultimately be unable to avoid is just memorizing the way native speakers express various (specific) thoughts.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”