Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: The new ChatGPT is a polyglot, apparently

Postby Cainntear » Sun May 21, 2023 11:49 am

Kraut wrote:ChatGPT and the Dawn of Computerized Hyper-Intelligence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_E4t7tWHUY

Dr. Jordan B. Peterson and Brian Roemmele discuss the future of human civilization: a world of human androids operating alongside artificial intelligence with applications that George Orwell could not have imagined in his wildest stories. Whether the future will be a dystopian nightmare devoid of art or a hyper-charged intellectual utopia is yet to be seen, but the markers are clear … everything is already changing.

Brian Roemmele is a scientist, researcher, analyst, entrepreneur, and tech expert on the forefront of artificial intelligence. His current publication, Multiplex, offers itself as an experiment in journalism as he and his team give live updates on the empirical research they conduct in the field and advocate for the positive emergence and acceptance of AI in much the same way as personal computers.

I have no trust in Brian Roemmele. Not that I've ever heard of him, but the fact that he's spent two hours talking to that blowhard snowflake Peterson (who has zero insight into artificial intelligence, incidentally) kind of tells me how little his opinions are worth.

Edit: Plus, there's no Wikipedia page on him, and a Google scholar search on his name doesn't bring up any papers he's written. He's either Not A Scientist or worse: Not Actually Any Good At Science.
3 x

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Sun May 21, 2023 1:14 pm

I don't know Brian Roemmele, but I am with you on Jordan Peterson, Cainntear. I think when he deviates outside of his field of expertise he leans to more pseudo intellectual. And his expertise is Jungian Psychology if I recall.

There's absolutely fair criticism to be had for AI and I generally urge people who want to use it, to use it more in the way you might (or should) use Wikipedia, a great starting point, but not take it as gospel and check the information it gives you. Bing and Google's versions I've seen sometimes try to provide a source too. That is, if you're using it for information. But if your requests deviate from what it has been trained on, it gives back bad data, whether it's false information, mistakes in contructing answers in another language or totally messed up looking hands on a piece of art.

But I don't see the Orwellian future he perhaps sees. But I do see problems and also benefits, I see some businesses using it to cut corners and it negatively affecting certain industries, I see other businesses allowing professionals to use it to improve their workflow, I see disputes over copyright and us slowly catching up to the technology (there's already tools to help combat AI generated content, like preventing art from being used as training data and detecting AI generated content). I see 'techbros' (as they're often labelled) using it as their next 'get rich quick' scheme as cryptocurrency, NFT's, metaverse & web 3 are becoming less profitable so AI seems to be the next thing they're trying to exploit, for those people there will be a "next big thing". I also see the law catching up, particularly as far as copyright goes and I expect many governments to try and regulate it and people pushing for said regulation.

I also see it being used for companionship for people in need of companionship and people seeing AI's too human and businesses capitalising off of it, like Replika did (which was under the guise of being a good tool for people with mental health issues)

I also see AI improving further, but that will be on how it interprets data, on its language model but not in the way it can 'think' or acquire autonomy or make decisions unless we make a breakthrough there.

I think with how well AI seems human and with the rapid improvement on the technology and the bandwagon effect that's followed, I can see the alarmists ringing bells, and I think we should definitely pay attention to it and mitigate problems to come from it.

And I've seen some of Peterson's commentary on AI and interpreting the responses he gets from them that lead me to believe that he fundamentally doesn't understand how it works, he seems to treat it much morel like a human intelligence. He gives it more credit than it deserves. Once you get past the hype and sensationalism, the simplest way to understand it (at least from how I understand it), is that it is a probability machine with an advanced language model where it gives the most probable answers to what requests you give it based on the data it has 'learned' from. It's why if I try to get it to give me answers in Tuvan, it will add Kyrgyz and Mongolian, because it's not got much training on Tuvan and may have some basic vocabulary and phrases, but instead of knowing to say "sorry, I don't know" it pulls from the next most probably thing, it knows that it's Turkic with similarities to Kyrgyz but also has a big Mongolian influence.

However, maybe as I like to think of it, it's Google search on steriods. I realise that's pretty reductionist, yet I feel "intelligence" is a bit of a misnomer, as ultimately it's interpreting a request and returning data based on how it interprets that data and tries to do it in a as close-to-human way as it can get.

Don't get me wrong, it's incredible technology, but it is not as smart as some people think of it as. It doesn't understand anything, it is not able to cogitate anything, it doesn't understand the material you give it or request from it, but it is able to give the effect that it does.
4 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu May 25, 2023 1:46 am

I asked ChatGPT Plus to write a poem in French. Here are its poem and an English translation. (I hope I'm not repeating something someone else posted)

Sur le bord de la rivière,
Où les fleurs éclatent en lumière,
J'écoute le murmure de l'eau,
Comme un doux, lointain écho.

Les oiseaux chantent leur mélodie,
Dans la douceur de la prairie,
Le vent caresse doucement,
Les feuilles dansant dans le temps.

Un rêve éveillé sous le ciel bleu,
Tout semble possible, tout semble merveilleux,
Dans cette beauté, je me perds,
Au cœur de la nature, je me sers.

La nuit tombante, sous la voûte étoilée,
Je fais un vœu, à la lune éclairée,
Que demain soit aussi doux que ce jour,
Un rêve de paix, d'amour et de toujours.

This is an original poem that evokes the tranquility and beauty of nature. Here's a rough translation for your convenience:

css

On the edge of the river,
Where flowers burst into light,
I listen to the murmur of the water,
Like a soft, distant echo.

Birds sing their melody,
In the sweetness of the meadow,
The wind gently caresses,
Leaves dancing in time.

A waking dream under the blue sky,
Everything seems possible, everything seems wonderful,
In this beauty, I lose myself,
In the heart of nature, I help myself.

The night falling, under the starry vault,
I make a wish, to the illuminated moon,
That tomorrow is as sweet as this day,
A dream of peace, love, and always.

ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts. ChatGPT May 12 Version
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Sae
Green Belt
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)

Postby Sae » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:38 am

"I like to use AI because it can correct me when I am wrong."
When the AI decides I am wrong:
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/23/06/01/2129247/ai-controlled-drone-goes-rogue-kills-human-operator-in-usaf-simulated-test
4 x

Tourneliste
Yellow Belt
Languages: French native, English, studying all beginner German, Spanish,Swedish, Finnish, Estonian, North Sámi, Liiv Karelian, Vietnamese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19192

Postby Tourneliste » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:11 am

ChatGPT can even write in Karelian, spoken by about 10000 people. That makes me very strange, as this is 6 times less than the population of the town I live in. I can also make it write in the variant South-Karelian (), but stopped for few interest. Each time, I must verify if it hasn’t written in FInnish instead.
For Alsatian, 600.000 speakers in 2012, probably much less today, it start the first sentence in Alsatian, but the rest is in German. And if I ask to do the rest in Alsatian also instead of German, I receive a notification saying they detected something against their policy, that don’t let me continue the same conversation. So I cannot rely on chatGPT to learn Alsatian. What is sad, is that Alsatian themselves bury their dialect: the lessons I found here were very expensive by someone not very competent, and many internet resources in Alsatian come from political extremists (that’s maybe the reason of the warning in chatGPT).
1 x

Sae
Green Belt
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)

Postby Sae » Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:11 am

Tourneliste wrote:ChatGPT can even write in Karelian, spoken by about 10000 people. That makes me very strange, as this is 6 times less than the population of the town I live in. I can also make it write in the variant South-Karelian (), but stopped for few interest. Each time, I must verify if it hasn’t written in FInnish instead.
For Alsatian, 600.000 speakers in 2012, probably much less today, it start the first sentence in Alsatian, but the rest is in German. And if I ask to do the rest in Alsatian also instead of German, I receive a notification saying they detected something against their policy, that don’t let me continue the same conversation. So I cannot rely on chatGPT to learn Alsatian. What is sad, is that Alsatian themselves bury their dialect: the lessons I found here were very expensive by someone not very competent, and many internet resources in Alsatian come from political extremists (that’s maybe the reason of the warning in chatGPT).

That is surprising, and it does Karelian well? I guess they must have a lot of source material to learn from? I didn't think ChatGTP would be any good for any minority language. It is really bad with Tuvan (and inserts Kyrgyz and Mongolian), which has about 250k speakers.

And Mongolian it still messes up, including really basic stuff. Like this:

The correct translation is, "I am speaking Russian".

And it clearly had the data available, but probably not enough to do give it enough of a bias to the correct answer, as I managed to get it to give the correct answer without giving it new information. I figured there would be enough information on those parts of the sentence even if not together, as they're not exactly uncommon words.
1 x

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:39 am

Sae wrote:And it clearly had the data available, but probably not enough to do give it enough of a bias to the correct answer, as I managed to get it to give the correct answer without giving it new information. I figured there would be enough information on those parts of the sentence even if not together, as they're not exactly uncommon words.

One thing to keep in mind is that a method called Reinforcement Learning from Human Feedback (RLHF) was applied after training in order to fine tune ChatGPT, and I'm guessing not many speakers of "small" languages were used for this stage.
1 x

Tourneliste
Yellow Belt
Languages: French native, English, studying all beginner German, Spanish,Swedish, Finnish, Estonian, North Sámi, Liiv Karelian, Vietnamese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19192

Postby Tourneliste » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:51 am

There can be some inaccuracies, but I verify with some online tools if any doubts. There are a lot of North Sámi words in the French wiktionary. I found a Inari-Sámi and a North-Sámi dictionary online, I found an online Karelian dictionary and I have a paper Finnish dictionary. If I find a mistake or an incoherence in a chatGPT answer, I prompt (I care to consider chatGPT as a bot, so I don’t write or speak, I prompt) the nature of the mistake. This week, for the accusative of “raha“ that can be “raha” or “rahan” depending on the use, I pointed that one of the example he provided was out of scope: {“Hän ostaa uuden auton rahalla.” Je viens de me rendre compte que ce n’est pas de l’accusatif, mais de l’adessif.}
My use of chatGPT is essentially to compensate that I don’t find a teacher, or I cannot access to the teacher online with a precise date and time due to my health. I accumulate infections and sick leaves for a few years, and usually when I don’t go to my work, I cannot have another activity instead.
chatGPT is available anytime, and I have only to manage my “conversations” not to disappear too much soon after one month inactivity, what means to me that I manage his training for my personal purposes.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”