The new ChatGPT is a polyglot, apparently

General discussion about learning languages
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: The new ChatGPT is a polyglot, apparently

Postby rdearman » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:43 am

Today there was a status message saying "hang tight while we upgrade our capacity" or some such bollocks.

I would say this AI is pretty intelligent because when I asked it if "hang tight" was standard English or an Americanism it knew it was an Americanism. When I asked if it was stupid to put local slang or Americanisms on an international website it agreed that would be a stupid thing to do and that status or error messages should always be clear and unambiguous. People who write status or error messages should always be aware of the audience.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Sprachprofi
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Esperanto (C2), French (C2), Modern Greek (C2), Latin (teaching), Chinese (rusty C1), Italian (rusty C1), Dutch (B2), Spanish (B2), Serbocroatian (B1/B2), very rusty Japanese, Swahili, Indonesian, Hebrew, Arabic...

Postby Sprachprofi » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:44 am

Nice! Just keep in mind that some exercises may not need the subjunctive at all... it has a very strange understanding of grammar.

Benny Lewis mentioned asking ChatGPT for mnemonics, so I asked it to make a mnemonic for the Croatian Dative case:

One possible mnemonic for the Croatian dative case is "DAMN":
D = dajem (I give)
A = dam (I will give)
M = dajte (Give!)
N = dajmo (Let's give)
This mnemonic uses the first letter of each word in the present tense conjugation of the verb "dati" (to give) in the dative case to help you remember the case endings for the dative. Of course, this is just one possible mnemonic and there are many other ways you could create a memory aid to help you remember the Croatian dative case. The important thing is to find a mnemonic that works for you and that you can easily remember
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:41 pm

https://techcrunch.com/2022/12/01/while ... s-gpt-3-5/
Released two years ago, OpenAI’s remarkably capable, if flawed, GPT-3 was perhaps the first to demonstrate that AI can write convincingly — if not perfectly — like a human. The successor to GPT-3, most likely called GPT-4, is expected to be unveiled in the near future, perhaps as soon as 2023. But in the meantime, OpenAI has quietly rolled out a series of AI models based on “GPT-3.5,” a previously-unannounced, improved version of GPT-3.

GPT-3.5 broke cover on Wednesday with ChatGPT, a fine-tuned version of GPT-3.5 that’s essentially a general-purpose chatbot. Debuted in a public demo yesterday afternoon, ChatGPT can engage with a range of topics, including programming, TV scripts and scientific concepts.

According to OpenAI, GPT-3.5 was trained on a blend of text and code published prior to Q4 2021. Like GPT-3 and other text-generating AI, GPT-3.5 learned the relationships between sentences, words and parts of words by ingesting huge amounts of content from the web, including hundreds of thousands of Wikipedia entries, social media posts and news articles.

Rather than release the fully trained GPT-3.5, OpenAI used it to create several systems fine-tuned for specific tasks — each available through the OpenAI API. One — text-davinci-003 — can handle more complex instructions than models built on GPT-3, according to the lab, and is measurably better at both long-form and “high-quality” writing.

/..../
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:55 am

Channel 4 news 'interviews' ChatGPT. You can actually feel the artificiality in some of this, lots of repetitive responses made and regurgitation presented extremely well.

What I do like is that ChatGPT or 'assistant' simply provides straight answers, so on the other hand you'd love them to be answering questions politicians should answer, but the lack of judgements, though seen as a benefit in some ways, is a great lack in another.

ChatGPT gets tripped up by the gender question and provides a certain response followed by stating that none of the responses are motivated by either creator or data bias. This is a bit questionable. In terms of text output, you do not know whether what you receive is true, false or what. And in language learning the 'content' of what a person reads is sometimes ignored in the learning stages, but content is very influential.

I'm not saying ChatGPT is dubious, it's excellent at what it does.

4 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

rng
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (advanced), Spanish (intermediate), Latin (low intermediate), Russian (beginner), Greek (beginner), Coptic (beginner)

Postby rng » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:38 am

Just started playing with this. I asked ChatGPT:

Genesis 12:3 contains "atque in te benedicentur universae cognationes terrae". Does the adjective "universae" modify "cognationes" or "terrae"?

The adjective technically could modify either (depending on whether it is Nom.Pl or Gen.Sg), but I am pretty sure it actually is supposed to modify "cognationes".

ChatGPT answered:

In the phrase "atque in te benedicentur universae cognationes terrae" from Genesis 12:3, the adjective "universae" modifies the noun "cognationes," which means "families" or "kindreds." This can be translated as "and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed."

In Latin, adjectives generally agree with the nouns they modify in gender, number, and case. In this phrase, "universae" is the feminine, plural form of the adjective "universus," which means "all" or "entire." It agrees with "cognationes," which is a feminine, plural noun. "Terrae," on the other hand, is a feminine, singular noun meaning "earth" and does not agree with the adjective "universae."

It is also worth noting that the verb "benedicentur" is a third person, plural form, agreeing with the subject "universae cognationes" (all the families). The verb can be translated as "shall be blessed."

Until I read "'Terrae,' on the other hand, is a feminine, singular noun", which is incorrect, I was really excited to have an assistant to help me answer grammatical questions. However, this error casts into doubt the basis for ChatGPT's translation. Apparently, it knows that "universae" modifies "cognationes" and not "terrae", but when it has to explain why, it mistakenly assumes it would be syntactically incorrect --- and not just semantically incorrect --- for it to modify "terrae", and makes up the "fact" that "terrae" is singular as the supposed basis for its decision.

Interesting!
4 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:16 pm

What ChatGPT Could Mean for the Future of Artificial Intelligence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh5dN72 ... owerfulJRE
0 x

TopDog_IK
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2/C1)

Postby TopDog_IK » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:47 am

ChatGPT is fantastic for German language learners. I've chatted with it for hours in a mixture of German and English. It can do cross-talk also if you explain to it what cross-talk is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

alaart
Green Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A2: KR
A1: ES
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Postby alaart » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:47 am

TopDog_IK wrote:ChatGPT is fantastic for German language learners. I've chatted with it for hours in a mixture of German and English. It can do cross-talk also if you explain to it what cross-talk is.

Correction for the second sentence of ChatGPT: Der DJ sagte gerade an, [...] ('trennbare Verben' grammar part in German)
1 x

TopDog_IK
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2/C1)

Postby TopDog_IK » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:43 pm

It's not 100%, but if your goal was to see a bunch of example sentences to gain a better understanding of the word Ansagen, then it works out quite well. ChatGPT can provide a near endless stream of such resources, custom-tailored by learners.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:02 pm

It is a useful typing tutor. I used this prompt to get it to allow me to type in Korean.

Code: Select all

i want you to act as a korean typing tutor. I want you to only reply inside one unique code block, and nothing else. do not write explanations. do not type commands unless I instruct you to do so. You output one random korean word and the english translation and I will attempt to write the korean word as quickly as I can. If I get it correct, you output a new word and translation in the same code block with the new word. please put all your output in the same code block so the page doesn't scroll. when i need to tell you something in english, i will do so by putting text inside curly brackets {like this}. Start

Telling it not to scroll doesn't work, but otherwise it is a good typing tutor.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “General Language Discussion”