Do you consume material in your TL that you'd consider beneath you in your native language?

General discussion about learning languages
Khayyam
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (strong receptive, weak active), Persian (novice), American sign language (novice)

Do you consume material in your TL that you'd consider beneath you in your native language?

Postby Khayyam » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:57 am

Last night, I binge-watched a rather silly talk show in German that I wouldn't touch with a pole if it was in English. It makes me ask myself: is it really just that I l love German so much that anything gains significant merit in my eyes just by being German, or could it also be that I have a dirty, latent desire to watch Dr. Phil, and my contempt for the Phil-gobbling peasantry is really disguised contempt for myself? Could the German be a smokescreen?

The question in the title assumes, of course, that you're sufficiently advanced in your TL that you can consume most anything in it .
4 x
Das Leben ist ein langer, roter Fluss
Die Klinge ist mein Segelboot

AroAro
Green Belt
Languages: • Native - Polish
• Certified - C1: French, Italian, Romanian; B2: English, German
• Estimate - B2: Russian; B1: Bulgarian
• Learning - Czech, Hebrew
• Dabbled in - eo, la, uk, sw, lt, oc
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... d80b60a5e9

Re: Do you consume material in your TL that you'd consider beneath you in your native language?

Postby AroAro » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:59 pm

Yes, definitely. When I actively learned Romanian, I used to watch a scripted-reality show “În căutarea adevărului”. I wouldn’t bother watching it in my native tongue but watching it in Romanian was really helpful for developing my listening skills because the dialogues are very close to everyday speech. They don’t hire professional actors so the way people on-screen speak is really the way “common” people speak on a daily basis, with lots of interactions in informal situations. Also, a part of me is drawn toward “guilty pleasure” movies/TV shows/books, so watching it in a foreign language is “justified” to some extent as it is beneficial for learning the target language. I’m feeling like watching an episode of “În căutarea adevărului” or “Insula iubirii” now!
5 x
corrections are welcome

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: Do you consume material in your TL that you'd consider beneath you in your native language?

Postby smallwhite » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:18 pm

When all I could read was teen romance. I read one about a young female teacher and her male student. Then one about a young male teacher and his female student. Not “beneath” me but my age is probably the sum of all theirs?
5 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Odair
Yellow Belt
Languages: en (C1), fr (B2), es (C1), it (B1), pt_br(N)

Postby Odair » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:42 pm

I would not say beneath me. The language-learning process that happens in the background somehow makes them genuinely interesting and attractive.
Last edited by Odair on Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
6 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:10 pm

Yes and no. I don’t watch things that grate on me. For example, I can’t stand reality TV or game shows. No amount of language benefit tempts me to watch them.

But maybe you are instead just indulging in what I would call a guilty pleasure? You are watching something that you are indeed enjoying on some level. But if it was in your native language, you would feel like you were wasting time.

I definitely indulge in MY guilty pleasures, and language learning removes the guilty aspect :) I watch cartoons and read (and reread) children’s books without a shred of grown-up guilt.

When I return to Spanish, I will watch telenovas, and I look forward to that. I have no interest in English soap operas, but I loved them in my teens.
4 x
Corrections are always welcome.

jackb
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (Intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12251

Postby jackb » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:58 pm

I probably watch/read stuff others would call beneath them, but I watch what I like and/or can tolerate.

I do find that I am much more tolerant of shows in my target language than in my native language, at least initially. As my comprehension increases, my tolerance decreases. Eventually, I'll be consuming the same level of content regardless of language.

It hasn't presented a problem in finding content, but it has put a dent in the what I can watch on Netflix.
1 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:03 pm

two words: Harry Potter

or 'Arry Potteur as my TL would no doubt have it.
7 x
Super Challenge progress French (double):
reading: 5000 / 5000 reading: 5000 / 5000
watching: 150 / 150 watching: 150 / 150

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:58 pm

Often. And I've found that even if it is 'beneath my tastes', it is at times still above my ability.

In a course I attended I recall an old tutor telling the class that his mother, as a part of the working class in the 1920s, was not very highly educated and had trouble reading. Yet her facility with the language, even if talking about something trivial, far outstripped even the best students. So that to assume 'the peasantry' will be good and easy source material is to mistake entirely what native fluency means.
6 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:04 pm

I dunno about beneath me, but certainly not my usual tastes, so for me it's music. Luckily for TV, I've found content I like for my target languages.

But I've ended up listening to music in Vietnamese that I wouldn't normally listen to, I've only found a handful of stuff in genre I listen to and in fairness, the lyrics in pop music are often quite clear because they're designed to be catchy. Although I find music I like in Mongolian quite easily, especially with how rock & metal from Mongolia is getting more attention thanks to The Hu. But admittedly, there's a few Mongolian pop songs that ended up as guilty pleasures.

Like this one, whilst this is not the sort of thing I'm into, but it just seems like a bit of fun and it kinda catchy. I know it's for a movie, maybe I should watch the movie.

2 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

dlt529
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Adv), Portuguese (Intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org//vi ... 15&t=18534

Postby dlt529 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:18 pm

I'm more willing to stick with "bad" media because it's in the target language, but proficiency definitely plays a role. I finished one of the worst romance books in Portuguese because it was in Portuguese, but I've left many Spanish detective stories unread. For Portuguese, there's a novelty in being able to read that makes it worth while (and, honestly, badly written books are sometimes easier to read). In Spanish, the novelty is gone--I read and use Spanish almost as easily as I do English, so if something is badly written, I'll look for something better.
7 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”