Do you consume material in your TL that you'd consider beneath you in your native language?

General discussion about learning languages
einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Re: Do you consume material in your TL that you'd consider beneath you in your native language?

Postby einzelne » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:22 pm

Sadly, yes.
2 x

LupCenușiu
Yellow Belt
Languages: RO (educated sarcastic native) EN (emulating fluency) GE, FR(various degrees of incompetency)

Re: Do you consume material in your TL that you'd consider beneath you in your native language?

Postby LupCenușiu » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:26 pm

As a general rule I avoid something I wouldn't consume in my native language, if is not part of a set course. Life is too short for that, and you can find interesting stuff even for the beginner level if you look enough.
2 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:10 pm

In Urdu all I watch (or rather, listen to — the good thing about it being so simple is that I can take a screen break while still following the plot) is dubs of Turkish soaps. It’s somewhat inauthentic but it’s all I can stomach at the moment.

Unfortunately, I can’t tolerate the Pakistani dramas I’ve come across so far. So I do have standards for my trash.
5 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:47 pm

All the time. And usually I end up really enjoying it. Perhaps I need to slum more in my English media consumption….
8 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

finknottles
Languages: English (N), Spanish, Portuguese, Hindi, German (beginner)

Postby finknottles » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:01 pm

Definitely do this all the time. Although I also find that I often end up enjoying the content, so it's a good outlet for making the guilty pleasures a bit less guilty. I too have until now resisted the Hindi/Urdu soaps though :D
4 x

desafiar
White Belt
Languages: English native, studying Spanish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18131

Postby desafiar » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:02 pm

I don't find too much beneath me. :) But I certainly consume material that I wouldn't choose otherwise. I see that as an incentive.
6 x

Khayyam
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (strong receptive, weak active), Persian (novice), American sign language (novice)

Postby Khayyam » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:05 am

Sae wrote:I dunno about beneath me, but certainly not my usual tastes, so for me it's music. Luckily for TV, I've found content I like for my target languages.

But I've ended up listening to music in Vietnamese that I wouldn't normally listen to, I've only found a handful of stuff in genre I listen to and in fairness, the lyrics in pop music are often quite clear because they're designed to be catchy. Although I find music I like in Mongolian quite easily, especially with how rock & metal from Mongolia is getting more attention thanks to The Hu. But admittedly, there's a few Mongolian pop songs that ended up as guilty pleasures.

Like this one, whilst this is not the sort of thing I'm into, but it just seems like a bit of fun and it kinda catchy. I know it's for a movie, maybe I should watch the movie.

I actually liked the song quite a lot. It's very reminiscent of Jamiroquai, of which I'm a big fan. Makes you feel like you're at an amusement park on a perfect summer day. If i were learning Mongolian, I'd be tempted to use it as learning material.
1 x
Das Leben ist ein langer, roter Fluss
Die Klinge ist mein Segelboot

Lemus
Orange Belt
Languages: Know: English (N), German (B2), Spanish (B2/C1), Italian, Portuguese
Study (on and off): Persian, Russian

Postby Lemus » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:06 am

There is plenty of stuff I would feel guilty wasting my life watching or reading in English. Suddenly put it in, say, Portuguese and it does not become a waste of time but a valuable educational experience :lol:

Maybe that's a silly way to look at things but I do. The guilt vanishes when I'm reading or watching trash in a foreign language.
5 x

Tom
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate)

Postby Tom » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:55 am

All the time. Not beneath me, but tons of stuff I would have no interest in watching otherwise.
4 x

Spaceman
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Intermediate Receptive), German (Rusty), French (Very Rusty)

Postby Spaceman » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:35 pm

I think it's really important to have a level of media for every mood, energy level, and situation in my TL. At any given moment now I try to have 5 things going, most of which are "beneath me" (a term I object to, but whatever).
1. Hardest book I can currently read, for when I have actual time.
2. YA audiobook for driving/walking
3. Memoir or something else relatively light and easy I can read when I have a couple of minutes
4. popular non-fiction for when I am reading somewhere busy and/or need something really easy
5. random podcasts for when I need the audio equivalent of #4.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”