[disconcerting music playing]

General discussion about learning languages
lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

[disconcerting music playing]

Postby lavengro » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:07 am

For those for whom the Netflix series "Dark" was not sufficiently odd, Netflix has produced something of potential interest for you'all: "1899" - basically a relatively straightforward historical travelogue or documentary about the perils of traveling by steamship a century or so ago. Or at least that is what I think it is about, though frankly I may have lost the thread somewhat.

I figure if there were a prize for the use of the greatest number of languages in a limited series, "1899" would be a lock. Liberal amounts of English, German, French, Danish, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Cantonese as well as smaller amounts of Norwegian and Japanese.

Plenty of conversations between individuals speaking mutually-unintelligble languages with each other, with the same lack of understanding that I feel most times when trying to follow someone speaking in a language I am learning. Avoid the dubbed version and instead watch the subtitled version. I appreciate that some forum members will need to rely on subtitles less heavily than I did, but I think all of you will need subtitles for at least some portions of it.
12 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

jackb
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (Intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12251

Re: [disconcerting music playing]

Postby jackb » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:12 pm

The title of the thread had me literally LOL'ing.

I'm not even sure how a dubbed version would even work.

There were times I had my head turned and couldn't read the subtitles I felt like I should have been able to understand it. It was usually a short phrase in Norwegian/Danish/German that my brain interpreted as garbled English.

Definitely worth watching if you liked Dark.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: [disconcerting music playing]

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:12 pm

jackb wrote:Definitely worth watching if you liked Dark.

I most certainly did. And apparently I'm not alone. According to imbd.com ratings, for all series above x-amount of received ratings (I don't recall the number, perhaps 1000 at a guess), last time I looked at least, Dark was/is the highest rating series ever. For good reason, I feel. Those Germans really make some high quality 'stuff'. So it seems I will enjoy 1899.

lavengro wrote:For those for whom the Netflix series "Dark" was not sufficiently odd, Netflix has produced something of potential interest for you'all: "1899"

Thank you for the recommendation, lavengro ;)
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”