General discussion about learning languages
Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Why do people still study Esperanto?

Postby Cainntear » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:29 am

Andreo wrote:
Cainntear wrote:You may have missed the point in my highlighted section. You posted a ChatGPT answer on why it was a moral thing to learn. I got ChatGPT to say that languages can't be considered moral or immoral, in direct contradiction of what it said to you. ChatGPT is about as intelligent as a stack of bricks...

Who cares if it's intelligent or not. It siphoned the wisdom from the Internet, so these ideas are floating out there. It got all the arguments right, though. I would sign under each and every word of it.

i.e. the algorithm has recreated the standard pro-Esperanto arguments as would be expected. It has not addressed any of the points raised from a linguistics point-of-view, because most pro-Esperantists don't.
1 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:41 am

Vietnamese is about as closely related to Khmer as English is to Armenian or Sinhalese; their common ancestor existed many thousands of years ago.

Vietnamese has been heavily influenced by the Chinese languages (in terms of both vocabulary and structure), so speakers of those languages would have the biggest headstart. Japanese and Korean speakers would also see some lexical overlap, due to their own Chinese loans, but not as many structural similarities.

Khmer, on the other hand, has more Sanskrit and Pali loans, and has also itself influenced the lexicon of Thai. Despite being related, Khmer and Vietnamese developed in different civilisational spheres (the Indian-influenced Hindu and then Theravada Buddhist world on the one hand, and the Chinese-influenced world on the other).
5 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:51 am

Iversen wrote:I have already mentioned in another thread that tonality is one of the things that learning Esperanto can't prepare you for, so maybe knowing Vietnamese could make it easier to add other Asiatic languages later (including those from the Sino-Tibetan family) - but I also read in the English Wikipedia article about Vietnamese that "Proto-Viet–Muong had no tones to speak of. The tones later developed in some of the daughter languages from distinctions in the initial and final consonants.". That might conceivably indicate that the distribution (and even number) of the tones has nothing in common with for instance the systems of Cantonese or Mandarin or Thai or Lao - but still, knowing one tonal language must helpful in learning one more.

You'd be surprised how much in common those tonal systems actually have. That process of tone development from past final and initial consonant distinctions has gone down remarkably similarly in many East and Southeast Asian languages (with some others, like Burmese or some dialects of Khmer, arguably still in the middle of it), to the point where this is one of the pieces of evidence in favor of a Sprachbund (if you'll excuse a bit of self-promotion, this has been a small preview of the subject of my talk in the upcoming Polyglot Gathering Online ;) ). What's more, Vietnamese in particular has been influenced by Classical Chinese literary culture so strongly that a huge chunk of its vocabulary fits neatly into the chart of historical reflexes of the four Middle Chinese tones in modern Chinese varieties, meaning that tones in a lot of words are predictable if you know their cognates in Mandarin or especially in Cantonese. While I think that people like Stuart Jay Raj might be overstating the utility of knowing these connections for a learner who isn't a huge historical linguistics geek, knowing how one of these tonal systems works does help quite a bit in understanding them in other East and Southeast Asian languages (and conversely, might be of slightly less utility in figuring out the intricacies of tone in more polysyllabic languages like most Sub-Saharan African ones).
7 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:34 am

Andreo wrote:
Sae wrote:And you talk about respect and disrespect, you used an AI to form your argument against people who're willing to put the effort and time into considering and responding to points, which is lazy and disrespectful.

Sorry - sorry! I am so rusty after 8 years not actively using your native language, that I needed some help to make my point. I hope this did not offend you too much.

If someone uses ChatGPT for an essay, it's an automatic zero grade in most cases because it demonstrates no depth of thought on the part of the submitter.

If you had submitted it without the quotes, it would have arguably been even more insulting, because it would have completely ignored what we had said.

I say arguably more insulting, because... well you didn't respond to substantial points either. Instead you basically smeared everyone who didn't agree with you as just being mean and nasty, so your own writing is more insulting, when you think about it.

That's why we must fight for the right to linguistic justice! I really agree with the AI in every aspect.

When I asked ChatGPT about linguistic justice, it didn't mention Esperanto. It mentioned nothing related to Esperanto. It talked about multilingualism, language revitalisation, language rights, linguistic discrimination and language planning.
It said nothing about language neutrality, because people don't talk about that. When I asked it about a neutral language, it waffled a bit and finished with:
ChatGPT wrote:In short, it's not accurate or productive to compare languages in terms of their neutrality, as all languages are inherently neutral and the idea of neutrality is subjective and context-dependent.

When I asked "What is the easiest language to learn?" it gave a typically non-committal answer but listed Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and Dutch as potential candidate for English speakers -- no sign of Esperanto anywhere.
When I asked it about promoting equality, it mentioned gender inclusivity. Zamenhof suggested using the Esperanto for "it" as an inclusive pronoun, which hardly seems great. I believe I've hear of one or two languages in the world which have no difference between he and she, but I have no recollection of what they would be, and ChatGPT can't help me with that, because it can't produce obscure facts as they are by definition statistically insignificant.

So I'm going to set you a challenge: without using the word "Esperanto", the name "Zamenhoff" or any term like "conlang" or "auxiliary language", write a prompt that gets ChatGPT to mention Esperanto.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:56 am

Actually Esperanto isn't gender neutral - if you want to indicate that someone is a female then you have to insert the infix -in-, and if you don't do that then you either refer to a male or you don't care. For instance the word for "sister" (fratino) is derived from the name for "brother" (frato) instead of having its own wordroot. There is in Standard Esperanto no corresponding masculinizing infix. According to the article in Wikipedia Zamenhof thought of proposing -ir-, but dropped the idea, and others have since proposed similar amendments, but these reform proposals have basically all failed - not only because of conservative resistance within the movement, but also because of the massive cultural bias in the surrounding societies - including the languages of those societies.

So Esperanto missed a golden opportunity to introduce symmetry (which would have been a logical choice, given the general tenor of the ideas behind Zamenhof's project), but since the asymmetrical treatment of genders is the norm also for other languages and cultures it can't be used as an argument specifically against Esperanto.

PS: Finnish doesn't have grammatical gender
4 x

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:33 am

Yeah, it has been my impression that the tones of Vietnamese aren't unique to Vietnamese and learning them I'd expect is a transferable skill as the important part of the skill to me is hearing and recognising the subtle differences in sound that we take for granted in a language like English, the concept itself is super simple to learn because it's only 6 tones (5 in the south) and how they modify a sound is not that hard to understand, that is...from an intellectual standpoint, not a practical one. And the listening skill isn't just for the tones either, but subtleties between sounds as per my previous post, and even with "tôi" (I) and "thôi" (stop) the only difference is breath and if somebody says something with extra breath in English we just don't think anything of it. And it's why I am glad the other parts of Vietnamese are kinder.

And of course China does play its role in its history and influence parts of its language, but my knowledge of Chinese languages is so slim that I'm not going to easily draw direct comparisons beyond knowing about tones (and similarities there) and knowing there's a share of loan words. And it manages to keep its uniqueness and identity despite its share of loan words.

And I do like how Vietnamese handles loan words, it makes the effort to make them more Vietnamese-like and less recognisable as loan words. Like how all of these are French loan words: phô mai, xì líp, kem and sơ mi.

And because loan words tend be made up of existing Vietnamese words that sound the same or similar, you can get double meanings, like "Đức" can both mean "Germany" and "virtue" (which I am sure any Germans may say "damn straight it does") and you have "Mongolia", which gets the short end of the stick, which is "Mông Cổ" or "neck butt". And because of this, trying to create Vinglish words to help yourself be understood when you don't know a word is risky, as a guy on YouTube did for comic effect when trying to buy "slip ons" and used "xì líp hồng", which means "pink underwear".

Though in real speech its obvious what you mean, especially thanks to Vietnamese's classifier words and words they like to stick together, so you can more easily derive specific meaning, like "nước Đức" it's obvious you mean Germany not "Virtue Water" and "tiếng Đức" you mean "German (language)" not "virtuous language" and "người Đức" you mean "German (person)" and not "Virtuous person". If you wanted to say "virtuous person" you'd say "người đức hạnh".

And funnily enough it's things like this about Vietnamese that Toki Pona reminds me loosely of, because it has to use a similar principle in reusing words to cover a larger scope of meaning. Given some of Vietnamese's minimalism in places, and it's why I wonder if it makes a case of Toki Pona being a useful springboard into the language, though it's only 1 feature I am focusiing on. But I know cognitively I ended up treating them more like compound words, because I am familiar with that from German, like Krankenhaus, or "sick house" for "hospital" and the Vietnamese is "bệnh viện" or "sick institute".

Cainntear wrote:When I asked it about promoting equality, it mentioned gender inclusivity. Zamenhof suggested using the Esperanto for "it" as an inclusive pronoun, which hardly seems great. I believe I've hear of one or two languages in the world which have no difference between he and she, but I have no recollection of what they would be, and ChatGPT can't help me with that, because it can't produce obscure facts as they are by definition statistically insignificant.

This is a fair point. And with things like gender neutrality, it is something some languages adapt for and I suspect also something Esperantists have to adjust for if they are to accommodate it and we also needlessly have arguments over whether the word "they" can be used as singular in English (though we've long done it). But if "it" in Esperanto is like "it" in English, then you would never use it on a person without it being dehumanising aside from in the context of things like "who is it?"

Whereas you are right there are languages that have this covered, where no pronouns are gendered , because it's true in 2 of my target languages, in Mongolian you'd use "ter" as a 3rd person pronoun for everyone, in Tuvan you'd use 'ol'.
If you need to specify male or female, you can communicate that meaning with an extra word.
1 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:48 pm

Cainntear wrote:I believe I've hear of one or two languages in the world which have no difference between he and she, but I have no recollection of what they would be, and ChatGPT can't help me with that, because it can't produce obscure facts as they are by definition statistically insignificant.

Turkic languages (and Mongolic), Uralic languages (like Finnish, Hungarian, Estonian, etc), most Austronesian languages (at least, according to wikipedia), Kartvelian languages (like Georgian), spoken Chinese (distincit he/she characters in written Mandarin were introduced in the beginning of the 20th century under the western influence), also, somehow Persian (an IE language), and, probably, many others. Hardly statistically insignificant. Having no distinction between 'he' and 'she' is quite common among the languages of the world, it's just the popularity of Indo-European languages that skews the picture.
9 x

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:08 pm

Dragon27 wrote:
Cainntear wrote:I believe I've hear of one or two languages in the world which have no difference between he and she, but I have no recollection of what they would be, and ChatGPT can't help me with that, because it can't produce obscure facts as they are by definition statistically insignificant.

Turkic languages (and Mongolic), Uralic languages (like Finnish, Hungarian, Estonian, etc), most Austronesian languages (at least, according to wikipedia), Kartvelian languages (like Georgian), spoken Chinese (distincit he/she characters in written Mandarin were introduced in the beginning of the 20th century under the western influence), also, somehow Persian (an IE language), and, probably, many others. Hardly statistically insignificant. Having no distinction between 'he' and 'she' is quite common among the languages of the world, it's just the popularity of Indo-European languages that skews the picture.

I don't know why this is being discussed in a thread about Esperanto, but you can add most of the ~500-odd Bantu languages to that list of languages that don't have grammatical marking for man/woman, as they are head-marking and pro-drop, third person subject prefix is usually a- and object infix usually -mu-, but the pronoun for "he/she" is always(?) the same.
3 x

Kullman
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N) Galician (N) English (B2)

Postby Kullman » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:26 pm

I'm still trying to digest the "second class language learners" implied by some forum users, as if they consider themselves as better than others because their made-up language is older...

Knowing the historical precedents, I urge you to avoid talking down to other people because of what they choose to learn, the music they like, the god they worship (even if they are pastafarians)...
0 x

Andreo
White Belt
Languages: romanian(N), Russian(N), Spanish(C1), Danish(C1), English(C1), Italian(B2), French(B1), Portuguese(B1), Esperanto(B1) Swedish(B1), Norwegian(A2), German(A2), Greek(A1), Chinese(A1)

Postby Andreo » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:23 pm

Me:
write a short forum post about "linguistic injustice due to English proliferation"
ChatGPT :
Linguistic injustice due to English proliferation is a growing concern in our globalized world. While English has become the lingua franca of business, science, and technology, its widespread use has led to the marginalization of other languages and cultures.

The dominance of English has led to a reduction in the use and development of other languages, especially those spoken in developing countries. This has resulted in a loss of cultural diversity and heritage, and a weakening of local economies.

Moreover, the proliferation of English has led to a bias in favor of English-speaking countries in international communication and decision-making. Non-native English speakers may face discrimination or disadvantage in educational, professional, and social settings.

It is important to acknowledge and address the linguistic injustice caused by the proliferation of English. This can be done by promoting multilingualism, supporting the preservation and development of other languages, and ensuring that non-native English speakers have equal opportunities to participate in global communication and decision-making.

We need to recognize that linguistic diversity is a valuable asset to our world, and that the marginalization of non-English languages and cultures is not only unfair but also detrimental to our collective progress and wellbeing.

Me:
what are the most equitable solutions

ChatGPT :
There are several equitable solutions that can help address linguistic injustice due to English proliferation:

Promote multilingualism: Encourage the learning and use of multiple languages, both within and outside of educational institutions. This can help preserve linguistic diversity and promote cultural understanding and communication.

Support language preservation and development: Provide resources and funding for the maintenance and development of non-English languages, especially those that are endangered or marginalized. This can help preserve cultural heritage and promote linguistic diversity.

Provide language access: Ensure that information, services, and opportunities are available in multiple languages to promote equity and inclusion for non-native English speakers.

Challenge linguistic bias: Encourage awareness and sensitivity to linguistic diversity and challenge the bias towards English as the dominant language in international communication and decision-making.

Support language justice initiatives: Engage with and support organizations and initiatives that aim to promote language justice and equitable language policies.

By implementing these equitable solutions, we can work towards a more just and inclusive world where linguistic diversity is valued and supported.

Me:
the above solutions are too vague. Can you name a concrete language that could address that issue?

ChatGPT :
While promoting multilingualism and supporting language preservation and development are overarching solutions, a concrete language policy that could address linguistic injustice due to English proliferation is the implementation of official bilingualism or multilingualism in countries where English is the dominant language.

For example, in Canada, where English and French are both official languages, the federal government provides services and communication in both languages, and education is available in both languages in some regions. This promotes linguistic diversity and helps ensure equal opportunities for French speakers.

Similarly, in European Union institutions, all official languages of member states are recognized and used, promoting multilingualism and inclusivity.

Implementing official bilingualism or multilingualism policies can help preserve and promote non-English languages and cultures, while also promoting cultural understanding and communication. It can also help address linguistic bias and ensure equal opportunities for non-native English speakers in education, employment, and other areas.

Me:
Can you give a one language solution

ChatGPT :
It is important to note that a one language solution may not be equitable, as it can still perpetuate linguistic dominance and marginalize non-native speakers. However, one possible solution could be to promote the use of Esperanto as a neutral and easy-to-learn language for international communication.

Esperanto was created in the late 19th century with the goal of promoting international understanding and communication through a neutral language that is easy to learn. While it has not become widely adopted, it is still used by a small but dedicated community around the world.

Promoting the use of Esperanto could help address linguistic injustice by providing a neutral language that does not favor any particular culture or country. Additionally, it can help promote cultural understanding and communication by allowing speakers from different linguistic backgrounds to communicate more easily.

However, it is important to note that promoting Esperanto should not come at the expense of promoting multilingualism or preserving other languages and cultures. It should be seen as a complementary solution that can be used in addition to other language policies to promote linguistic diversity and equity.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”