Why do people still study Esperanto?

General discussion about learning languages
lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Re: Why do people still study Esperanto?

Postby lichtrausch » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:34 pm

"Why didn't the world end up speaking Esperanto?"

1 x

Andreo
White Belt
Languages: romanian(N), Russian(N), Spanish(C1), Danish(C1), English(C1), Italian(B2), French(B1), Portuguese(B1), Esperanto(B1) Swedish(B1), Norwegian(A2), German(A2), Greek(A1), Chinese(A1)

Postby Andreo » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:01 am

I started learning Esperanto as a 13 years old out of frustration for not being able to learn any usable Spanish at school, even though it should be theoretically easy for Romance language speakers. I found an introductory book in the bookstore and fell in love with the idea of Esperanto and the simplicity and the creativity of the language. After I finished the introductory course in Esperanto, I did not have a way to continue, since it was in the preinternet era so I was very devastated. As a result of studying Esperanto I also became better and came to love learning Spanish and many other languages too.

I never forgot the basics of Esperanto though and I am proud to say that I have done my civic duty in meeting all the people half way communication-wise. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a knack for languages or have enough time and money to afford the best learning possibilities, the "natural" languages absolutely require to succeed. Esperanto on the other hand is being accessible for free and even linguistically handicapped people can successfully acquire it in such an inclusive environment like Esperanto community. Thinking otherwise is very egocentric and disrespectful in my opinion. I think this is another very important reason to still study Esperanto, showing to the world that you care about and respect others too.
3 x

Kullman
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N) Galician (N) English (B2)

Postby Kullman » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:02 pm

Andreo wrote:Thinking otherwise is very egocentric and disrespectful in my opinion.

Really? Are you serious?
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:20 pm

Andreo wrote:I think this is another very important reason to still study Esperanto, showing to the world that you care about and respect others too.

When I told a Basque guy I was planning to learn Basque, he said that if I spoke Basque in the Basque country "people will kiss you!"

That's why I'm interested in minority, natural languages: you can show a lot of care and respect by learning them. The fact that I haven't learned Esperanto does not mean I don't care or respect -- quite the opposite.
3 x

Kullman
Orange Belt

Postby Kullman » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:22 pm

Cainntear wrote:
Andreo wrote:I think this is another very important reason to still study Esperanto, showing to the world that you care about and respect others too.

When I told a Basque guy I was planning to learn Basque, he said that if I spoke Basque in the Basque country "people will kiss you!"

That's why I'm interested in minority, natural languages: you can show a lot of care and respect by learning them. The fact that I haven't learned Esperanto does not mean I don't care or respect -- quite the opposite.

We love the accent of a foreigner trying to learn our "regional" language.
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:19 pm

Kullman wrote:
Cainntear wrote:

We love the accent of a foreigner trying to learn our "regional" language.

I had totally forgotten until now... but I appeared on Galegos No Mundo once, singing a self-penned song. (In Galician, naturally.)

[goes off to hunt for it in the online archive]
0 x

Andreo
White Belt
Languages: romanian(N), Russian(N), Spanish(C1), Danish(C1), English(C1), Italian(B2), French(B1), Portuguese(B1), Esperanto(B1) Swedish(B1), Norwegian(A2), German(A2), Greek(A1), Chinese(A1)

Postby Andreo » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:22 pm

Showing your respect to one community is commendable, but it's a drop in the sea. All the others will remain unrespected. I doubt that anyone can learn so many languages.

The only logical solution is to meet people halfway, by learning Esperanto. How bad can it be if someone gets an easy to learn language under the belt? This way you really signal to the world that you mean business.
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:44 pm

Andreo wrote:Showing your respect to one community is commendable, but it's a drop in the sea. All the others will remain unrespected. I doubt that anyone can learn so many languages.
Ah, you're right. I can only show respect to about three quarters of a billion human beings. I feel so ashamed. I must learn Esperanto, because it shows respect to everybody, right?
The only logical solution is to meet people halfway, by learning Esperanto.

If they don't speak Esperanto, how is that meeting them halfway? Why is it better to insist that they learn Esperanto than to learn their own language, their mother tongue?
How bad can it be if someone gets an easy to learn language under the belt? This way you really signal to the world that you mean business.

How many of the world's top politicians, diplomats and business executives speak Esperanto? How many don't? Did Steve Jobs ever learn Esperanto? Did he mean business?
1 x

Kullman
Orange Belt

Postby Kullman » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:56 pm

There is no absolute truth... your opinion is your truth, and my opinion is my truth...

Every truth should be respected, even if it's oposed to my truth, even if it sounds insane...

Saying "everyone who doesn't think like me is wrong", is the pinnacle of egocentrism, but I can respect that opinion.

Saying "everyone who doesn't think like me is a egocentric" just doesn't make sense...
0 x

Andreo
White Belt

Postby Andreo » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:53 pm

I was merely answering the main question of this thread. Now I understand better where it comes from. It seams impossible that people would still choose to learn Esperanto, but yet they do, how irritating, isn't it!

Maybe this is because there are still a lot of people genuinely interested in equitable international communication for all of mankind and not only for the privileged few. Well intended people that don't mind making a little effort for a greater good. They even end up having a lot of fun doing so.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”