Black Friday and language

General discussion about learning languages
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Black Friday and language

Postby IronMike » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:52 pm

I love Black Friday. I sit at home (if off of work) and avoid all malls. I will sometimes go to local shops if I desperately need something, but that's rarely. This year, I desperately needed a new cactus.

8 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Amandine
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1/B2), Russian (B1), Romanian (A1, casual playing on Duolingo), Yiddish (ditto)

Re: Black Friday and language

Postby Amandine » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:51 am

We have BF/Cyber Monday etc in Australia as everyone connected to the internet seems to (I saw a tweet this morning from someone in Kyiv using Black Friday sales to buy camping supplies to help them through the lack of electricity) but the phrase "Black Friday" here is used for a particularly devastating bushfire event in which many people died. For that reason, there's always a lot of chatter about it being disrespectful and a really inappropriate term for commercial ventures to use. I personally am relaxed about it but I've certainly seen a lot of friends/acquaintances/strangers on Facebook and Twitter expressing opposition to calling it that.

I looked at a few language-related deals (Assimil app discounts, mostly) but didn't get any. I did take advantage of the sales to get cheap tickets to the opera next year, La Boheme and Don Giovanni including 2 for La Boheme to take my mum who has never been to an event at the Sydney Opera House before (well cheaper. Under $50 AUD each is cheap for the opera even for the nosebleeds). I also bought a discounted ticket to the Australia v South Africa Test match (cricket) in the New Year and a discounted ticket to some kind of "Avant Garde circus" thing that Charlie Chaplin's French grandson is doing. I have aucune idee what it involves but it was only $25 AUD on Black Friday so why not. I think this was a pretty good use of some very steep discounts, better some theatrical experiences than more junk I don't actually need.
5 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”