The one language/many languages problem

General discussion about learning languages
Spaceman
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Intermediate Receptive), German (Rusty), French (Very Rusty)

Re: The one language/many languages problem

Postby Spaceman » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:02 pm

This is one of those topics I find very interesting, and read all of (as I've read many similar discussions of the topic in my life), but is completely academic to me. I know myself, and I know that for me to make any headway on any project, I need to get completely obsessed with it. And once I get obsessed, it will squeeze out all competitors, be they other language or other hobbies altogether.

One of my long term goals is to renew my extraordinarily rusty french, and I am fairly confident that doing 10 minutes a day of french listening while I continue to learn Spanish would be an extremely efficient thing to do at this stage. Bring my mind back up to speed on French processing so I can jump right in whenever I decide to move on from Spanish. But I know from a practical perspective that if I tried 10 minutes a day of French, it would become either 0 minutes or 100+ minutes within a month. So I do one language at a time, since it's all I'm capable of.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”