A Listening Game I Like to Play

General discussion about learning languages
Khayyam
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (strong receptive, weak active), Persian (novice), American sign language (novice)

A Listening Game I Like to Play

Postby Khayyam » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:24 am

Sometimes I listen to a speaker who's speaking from the heart, or trying to elucidate a difficult subject, or both, and imagine that it's a real-life conversation where I'm the only listener and I'm desperate not to be rude or hurtful by letting my attention wander at all. I imagine that at any moment, the speaker might interrupt him or herself to say, "Am I making sense? And are you sure the language barrier isn't too much? You are trying your best, right? You see how much trust I'm putting in you?"

I know it's not a great look for someone, especially a relative beginner, to push his own made-up methods as hard as I do, but damn it, you are tragically missing out if you've never tried this. Preferably while walking alone at night.

Ever play fantasy games like this to get your head in the right place?

On a related note, I think Nietzsche's remark about maturing by rediscovering the seriousness of a child at play might apply here.
8 x
Das Leben ist ein langer, roter Fluss
Die Klinge ist mein Segelboot

MaggieMae
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=18071

Re: A Listening Game I Like to Play

Postby MaggieMae » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:03 pm

I talk to myself in my head A LOT. When I first started learning German (ok, real time here, I still do it), I would have mini-conversations with myself, especially if I had things I wanted to (or could possibly need to) say to someone in real life. I'd go and drill these specific sentences in my head over and over again, and, odds are, I probably never used it in real life, but I COULD! :lol:

I've also found that just active listening in a TL is super hard, and passive listening is next to impossible, so I figure training those active listening skills is never a bad idea. Mental games are the brain's way of processing what we're learning, as far as I'm concerned. I like this idea. I might have to steal it.
4 x
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (beginner)
: 22 / 100 SC Books 22.3/100
: 31 / 100 SC Films 30.7/100

Khayyam
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (strong receptive, weak active), Persian (novice), American sign language (novice)

Postby Khayyam » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:50 pm

MaggieMae wrote:I talk to myself in my head A LOT. When I first started learning German (ok, real time here, I still do it), I would have mini-conversations with myself, especially if I had things I wanted to (or could possibly need to) say to someone in real life. I'd go and drill these specific sentences in my head over and over again, and, odds are, I probably never used it in real life, but I COULD! :lol:

I've also found that just active listening in a TL is super hard, and passive listening is next to impossible, so I figure training those active listening skills is never a bad idea. Mental games are the brain's way of processing what we're learning, as far as I'm concerned. I like this idea. I might have to steal it.

If it makes you feel any less silly, I'll bet you've never walked around outside pretending to have conversations on the phone so you could have them with yourself on the sly. (But truly, I'd be more embarrassed if someone who knew German heard my bad grammar than if I got busted for faking.)
3 x
Das Leben ist ein langer, roter Fluss
Die Klinge ist mein Segelboot

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:04 pm

Khayyam wrote:Sometimes I listen to a speaker who's speaking from the heart, or trying to elucidate a difficult subject, or both, and imagine that it's a real-life conversation where I'm the only listener and I'm desperate not to be rude or hurtful by letting my attention wander at all. I imagine that at any moment, the speaker might interrupt him or herself to say, "Am I making sense? And are you sure the language barrier isn't too much? You are trying your best, right? You see how much trust I'm putting in you?"

I struggle to even pay attention to people in my native language.
2 x

MaggieMae
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=18071

Postby MaggieMae » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:06 am

Khayyam wrote:If it makes you feel any less silly, I'll bet you've never walked around outside pretending to have conversations on the phone so you could have them with yourself on the sly. (But truly, I'd be more embarrassed if someone who knew German heard my bad grammar than if I got busted for faking.)

THAT'S A GOOD IDEA!!! :lol: If I'm not singing to myself, I'm practicing conversations or sentences or monologuing in German. :oops: Especially when I'm mad, I'm super glad nobody can hear my horrible grammar! I'll be muttering under my breath, praying nobody hears. :lol:
1 x
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (beginner)
: 22 / 100 SC Books 22.3/100
: 31 / 100 SC Films 30.7/100

Return to “General Language Discussion”