Can AI be trained to write using only a limited set of vocabulary?

General discussion about learning languages
Hash
White Belt
Languages: Arabic (N)

Can AI be trained to write using only a limited set of vocabulary?

Postby Hash » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:12 pm

Has anyone tried to use the playground or the API in OpenAI to write articles or stories using only a limited set of vocabulary like the New General Service List or Basic English?
That would be an awesome idea but I don't know how to implement it.
0 x

Odair
Yellow Belt
Languages: en (C1), fr (B2), es (C1), it (B1), pt_br(N)

Re: Can AI be trained to write using only a limited set of vocabulary?

Postby Odair » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:21 pm

"Write a story in simple/beginner/easy English:" will probably do.
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:47 pm

Odair wrote:"Write a story in simple/beginner/easy English:" will probably do.

I'd be surprised if it could parse that and understand it.
I imagine you'd probably have to say "using only the following words: ..." and then list the entire lexicon.
0 x

Hash
White Belt
Languages: Arabic (N)

Postby Hash » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:11 pm

Cainntear wrote:
Odair wrote:"Write a story in simple/beginner/easy English:" will probably do.

I'd be surprised if it could parse that and understand it.

I tried and it did. The result was very simple. Simpler than Simple Wikipedia!
0 x

Odair
Yellow Belt
Languages: en (C1), fr (B2), es (C1), it (B1), pt_br(N)

Postby Odair » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:57 am

Prompt:
Write a story using only the following words: the, and, jack, to, he, cow, you, in, went, man, his, give, magic, beans, gave, wife, there, lived, day, jack’s, mother, him, will, me, beans, took, when, reached, was, very, she, said, some, out, of, window, up, beanstalk, once, upon, time, poor, widow, her, son, one, told, sell, their, only, market, on, way, met, who, wanted, buy, asked, return, for, my, cow, answered, I, five, but, home, angry, fool, away, your, threw, sad, sleep, without, dinner, next, woke, morning, looked, saw, that, huge, had, grown, from, climbed, kingdom, sky, giant, inside, house, found, giant, kitchen, could, please, something, eat, am, so, hungry, kind, bread, milk.

Result:
Once upon a time there was a poor widow and her son Jack. They only had one cow and Jack's mother told him to take it to market and sell it. On the way to market, Jack met a man who wanted to buy the cow, but asked if he could have it for five magic beans. Jack's mother was angry and said it was a fool's trade, but Jack gave the man the beans and went home without any dinner. The next morning, Jack woke up and looked out the window and saw that a huge beanstalk had grown from the beans. He climbed up the beanstalk and found a giant's house in the sky. He went inside and found the giant's kitchen. The giant was kind and gave Jack some bread and milk to eat.

I didn't check if it has stuck to the lexicon, but apparently it worked.

Edit: I have made it too easy for him because the words I have picked clearly give out that they were from Jack and the Beanstalk. So I have re-done it, changing just some of the words that were key to the story, hoping to get something original:

Prompt: Write a story using only the following words: the, and, James, to, he, deer, you, in, went, man, his, give, mechanical, strawberries, gave, wife, there, lived, day, 's, mother, him, will, me, potatoes, took, when, reached, was, very, she, said, some, out, of, window, up, wheat, stalk, once, upon, time, poor, widow, her, son, one, told, sell, their, only, market, on, way, met, who, wanted, buy, asked, return, for, my, answered, I, five, but, home, angry, fool, away, your, threw, sad, sleep, without, dinner, next, woke, morning, looked, saw, that, huge, had, grown, from, climbed, kingdom, sky, police, inside, house, found, kitchen, could, please, something, eat, am, so, hungry, kind, bread, milk.

Result: Once upon a time, there was a poor widow and her son. They only had one market day to sell their potatoes and wheat. On their way to market, they met a man who wanted to buy their potatoes and wheat. He asked if he could return for my five, but the widow's son said I will give you his mechanical deer. The man gave the widow's son five strawberries and took the mechanical deer. The next day, the widow's son woke up and looked out the window. He saw that a huge deer had grown from the stalk. He climbed the deer and reached the sky. The police found him inside the house and asked if he could please something to eat. The widow's son said he was so hungry, he would kind of bread and milk.

However, it has re-constructed the same story with some small changes.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”