King Charles III speaks Welsh on first visit to Wales

General discussion about learning languages
tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Re: King Charles III speaks Welsh on first visit to Wales

Postby tractor » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:41 pm

Spanish princess Leonor giving a speech in Catalan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyEOWQK8YAw
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:18 pm

More from princess Leonor (in 4 languages) here
1 x

Amandine
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1/B2), Russian (B1), Romanian (A1, casual playing on Duolingo), Yiddish (ditto)

Postby Amandine » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:19 pm

This is unrelated to the original purpose of post but ... so of course I watched the funeral last night my time. As a convinced republican (in the Australian sense) I stipulate to everything atrocious about this institution (I literaly felt so guilty after binging the first season of The Crown and enjoying it I went and officially joined the republican lobby group to ease my conscience :lol: ) however it was a big occasion and look, I enjoy a bit of pomp can't lie.

But in order to make it less of a waste of an evening I watched it on France 24 with French commentary. They had a panel before and then someone doing simultaneous translation over the top of the service. the latter I found pretty annoying - maybe it sounded solemn and serious in French, but to me it sounded monotone, disjointed and hard to pay attention to. They're Bible verses, none of this malarkey is spontaneous - you could have practiced? And then he rustled his papiers during the silence - how gauche. Whenever anyone said "Prince de Galles", it totally sounded like they were talking about "France Gall". The hosts knew the name of the NZ Prime Minister but not ours was my other big takeaway. I credited myself with some time for my SuperChallenge because it was a good three hours of input.
Last edited by Amandine on Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
6 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:52 pm

Amandine wrote:The hosts knew the name of the NZ Prime Minister but not ours was my other big takeaway.

as another (small-"r") republican, I didn't watch the funeral, but I was very amused to see a clip of one of the Aussie TV channels not recognizing Liz Truss (the new UK PM) in their coverage. :lol:
3 x
Super Challenge progress French (double):
reading: 5000 / 5000 reading: 5000 / 5000
watching: 150 / 150 watching: 150 / 150

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:37 pm

Cenwalh wrote:The UK's (amongst other places) new monarch just delivered a speech in Welsh to the Senedd (Welsh Parliament) on his first visit to Wales as monarch. I remember seeing he'd picked a bit up for his investiture as Prince of Wales on the Netflix series The Crown as I'm far too young to remember the real thing, but I don't think I've heard of him attempting Welsh otherwise. I wonder if any Welsh speakers/learners could tell us what his pronunciation is like :lol:

I'm not great at it, but I did manage to have a stilted conversation in Welsh about the royal family in the common room of a backpackers' hostel in a room with 5 English guys at the table next to me who were staunch royalists and wouldn't have liked what I was saying... ;)

He's got the basic phonemes in the right ball-park, and he's stressing the right syllables, but the prosody is really a lot like his English, so he's missing a lot of the characteristic bounce of the language.

Welsh is unusual in that tonic stress is usually matched with a downwards pitch change, and has a rebound that goes higher than the original pitch (after prosodically stressed syllables). Amusingly, I feel he only really managed this on the loanword "teitl" (title).

On a tangent, the people of Glasgow are often accused of speaking with "upspeak" accents, but when I learnt some Welsh I quickly realised that Glaswegians are actually using the Welsh stress pattern in English. (Glasgow was part of the Cumbric (Brythonic) kingdom of Strathclyde, and was never majority Gaelic-speaking.)
10 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:24 pm

badger wrote:
Amandine wrote:The hosts knew the name of the NZ Prime Minister but not ours was my other big takeaway.

as another (small-"r") republican, I didn't watch the funeral, but I was very amused to see a clip of one of the Aussie TV channels not recognizing Liz Truss (the new UK PM) in their coverage. :lol:

I didn't watch it either. I actually forgot, because I got carried away painting a radiator. That's not a clever remark either I was really doing that. The fumes got so bad (on this supposedly low-fume paint) I ended up standing at the door for air. As I opened the door my neighbour was standing there with a postcard she was about to put through the letterbox asking if I'd seen it. A postcard because she knows I tend to turn off my phone in the evenings. She said it was 'very moving and impressive'.

I told her that fair do this queen had had a good 70-year run and should get a good send-off, but that after this they should get ready for abolishing this relic and public spending drain. I should probably have just said 'oh that's nice.' I blame the paint fumes.

To make up for this, here's her majesty, ol' Brenda speaking French and some other woman talking about it in mock shock.

2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”