If you speak two related languages (NL/DE, IT/ES, SV/NO/DK, etc.) to a high level (B2+), does interference still occur?

General discussion about learning languages
alaart
Green Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A2: KR
A1: ES
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Re: If you speak two related languages (NL/DE, IT/ES, SV/NO/DK, etc.) to a high level (B2+), does interference still occ

Postby alaart » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:26 am

Just visited a Dutch friend this week, I haven't seen her in 2 years. It's her 8 year living in Germany, and unlike last time, to my surprise she had trouble speaking Dutch and sounded like a native German. :lol:

For me personally, it's hard to say. I don't use Dutch much, I speak it once every couple months only. So the speaking ability is naturally not that great (while the passive ability is pretty good). But just from feeling I'd say that interference has gone down over the years.

The only times I really get confused is if both languages have the same word, and I wonder why can't recall that simple word in Dutch? Oh, it's exactly the same.. oh. :idea: - those words feel weird, kind of ike a hole in the brain.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: If you speak two related languages (NL/DE, IT/ES, SV/NO/DK, etc.) to a high level (B2+), does interference still occ

Postby rdearman » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:45 am

alaart wrote:It's her 8 year living in Germany,

Should be 8th year (Hope you don't mind corrections.)
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “General Language Discussion”