Looking to continue my Persian-learning journey in a very specific way

General discussion about learning languages
Khayyam
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (strong receptive, weak active), Persian (novice), American sign language (novice)

Looking to continue my Persian-learning journey in a very specific way

Postby Khayyam » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:11 am

I just finished working through Persian Script Hacking. I now know the Persian alphabet and can sound out a lot of words even if I don't know their meaning. That is, I can sound out the letters that are actually written--as you'll know if you have any familiarity with the language, Persian texts normally omit most of the vowels for convenience. Not so convenient for learners!

Rather than read texts that include the vowels (diacritics) for the sake of learners, what I think I'd like to do next is read texts without diacritics while simultaneously listening to them being read, and fill in the diacritics myself as I go along, based on how the reader pronounces the words. Then, I'd like to be able to refer to a text with the diacritics included to check my work.

Is anyone aware of any programs for learners that are set up this way?
1 x
Das Leben ist ein langer, roter Fluss
Die Klinge ist mein Segelboot

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Re: Looking to continue my Persian-learning journey in a very specific way

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:39 am

Not exactly what you're asking for, but Assimil Arabic and Hebrew have vowel-less versions of their stories for review and there is also audio. The main text does have vowel markings. I'm assuming the Persian course has the same setup. It is available in French and German.
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

bolaobo
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin Chinese, German, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19845

Postby bolaobo » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:01 pm

Deinonysus wrote:Not exactly what you're asking for, but Assimil Arabic and Hebrew have vowel-less versions of their stories for review and there is also audio. The main text does have vowel markings. I'm assuming the Persian course has the same setup. It is available in French and German.

The Persian course doesn't use vowel markings for main text, except for ezāfe. The right page includes unvoweled text, and the left page includes the romanized text with translation.
3 x
Perfectionnement Arabe: 12 / 70 New Arabic Grammar: 31 / 51
Le Grec Ancien: 15 / 101
Hindi ohne Mühe: 44 / 54
Le Persan: 86 / 86
Le Turc: 19 / 71
Tobira: 4 / 15

Khayyam
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (strong receptive, weak active), Persian (novice), American sign language (novice)

Postby Khayyam » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:23 am

I've been thinking this through, and here's what I think I'm going to do: buy an unabridged Persian-English dictionary (or a Persian-German dictionary if I feel like a real daredevil), buy a classic novel in Persian, and find at least one professional-grade recording of it. (Maybe both Farsi and Dari!) Any Persian dictionary would include the diacritics, right? I'll treat the novel like a fill-in-the-diacritics workbook, filling them in as I listen and checking my work against the dictionary. (I'll be making constant use of the dictionary anyway because my Persian vocab currently consists of about five words.)

Why a classic novel and not something easier? One reason is money; if I buy one tough book that'll take me a long time to get through, then I can avoid spending a lot of money on material for beginners that I'll probably burn through quickly. Another is that after my experience with German stories for beginners that had no artistic merit whatsoever, I'm determined to stick to brilliant, indisputably worthwhile works as much as possible--even as a rank novice. And of course, my vocab will grow at a tremendous rate. The learning curve will make me bleed, but that's what I'm here for. :twisted:
2 x
Das Leben ist ein langer, roter Fluss
Die Klinge ist mein Segelboot

Return to “General Language Discussion”