Immersion: Replacing all NL entertainment with TL?

General discussion about learning languages
TopDog_IK
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2/C1)

Immersion: Replacing all NL entertainment with TL?

Postby TopDog_IK » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:40 pm

I'm wondering if any one else has tried this, or has thoughts on using this approach to acquire a second language?

The basic idea is just to do one simple trick: replace all of your NL entertainment (or nearly all) with TL entertainment -- shows, movies, comics, video games, gaming streams, youtube, books, etc. Aside from a bit of SRS and Glossika in the early days (representing less than 1% of my time with the language) this is roughly what I have been doing for the last two years with German, mostly with anime dubs. I've been very happy with my comprehension gains and how enjoyable the entire process has been. For me, it's been essentially effortless, because I like these German shows so much. These days, it's very difficult for me to watch any shows or movies in my native English, because it seems like "a waste of time". On the other hand, even if I am watching silly shows in German, to me, this feels like I'm making some kind of progress, "moving the ball down the field". I had to start off with very easy children's shows and books but after about 6 months I was able to watch slice-of-life German anime dubs without too much trouble. My comprehension has been growing very steadily the entire time.

One caveat: in my opinion, this requires at least a couple of hours per day to really make substantial progress. But since the average American watches 5+ hours of TV per day anyway, the goal of watching TL entertainment for a couple of hours of a day seems within reach for many?
4 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Re: Immersion: Replacing all NL entertainment with TL?

Postby tungemål » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:49 pm

It is a good method, and one that I use. However, it's not effortless for me (so not really relaxing). Especially watching TV in target language can be hard. Depends on the level you start with, of course.
5 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:04 pm

TopDog_IK wrote:I'm wondering if any one else has tried this, or has thoughts on using this approach to acquire a second language?

Welcome to the everyday reality of an average nonnative English speaker today. I think, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that this is how they learn English today.
10 x

TopDog_IK
Yellow Belt

Postby TopDog_IK » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:10 pm

einzelne wrote:
TopDog_IK wrote:I'm wondering if any one else has tried this, or has thoughts on using this approach to acquire a second language?

Welcome to the everyday reality of an average nonnative English speaker today. I think, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that this is how they learn English today.

Yeah, for sure. And many people are having great success with English this way. I wonder how many people who learn English this way spend much time on grammar, for example?
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:12 pm

Yeah, that's basically how I got from B2 to C2 French. And improved other languages. These days, I encounter just one catch. Not enough time for any entertainment :-D

I think it is a viable path (as useful and not too exhausting) from B2 on, if you choose your first shows, books, etc right.

Oh, and agreed with ToDok_IK. Almost forgot about English :-D :-D :-D
5 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:44 pm

TopDog_IK wrote:I wonder how many people who learn English this way spend much time on grammar, for example?

I have no idea how much but I guess all of them have some sort of formal education at school. Take any English textbook, it will have grammar. Take any preparation book for langauge exams (like TOEFL), they will all have sections on grammar.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:51 pm

einzelne wrote:
TopDog_IK wrote:I wonder how many people who learn English this way spend much time on grammar, for example?

I have no idea how much but I guess all of them have some sort of formal education at school. Take any English textbook, it will have grammar. Take any preparation book for langauge exams (like TOEFL), they will all have sections on grammar.

very simply put :

phase one: grammar, classes, etc
result: B1 or weaker B2

phase two: tons of entertainment
C1 or C2

of course there can be some overlaps. But this thread is mostly about people from B2 on, where even textbook lovers need to switch to other stuff at least for majority of their learning activities.
4 x

alaart
Green Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A2: KR
A1: ES
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Postby alaart » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:15 pm

It worked with English when I was a teenager. But I have to confess I never made the jump to the entertainment in other languages, I mainly consume films in English, and I read in English.

I changed listening music from English to mainly Japanese and Portuguese. But I don't understand everything (in some songs I do, but in most songs I don't). Sometimes if I have a closer look at the songs lyrics, ok - I get them and if I'm lucky I remember what I read the next time I hear it.
I do watch, sometimes (once every 2-3 months or so), shows in Dutch and Japanese, very rarely in Portuguese - but I have. The difference is just: If I want to relax after a long day, I feel too tired to listen to them.

I like to watch stuff when I eat, I can watch something in Dutch when I eat and it's ok, but not Japanese. I want to look up a word and have to stop eating, but my hands are dirty from the sauce - I just hate it...

Or if I cook, I watch something while I cut the vegetables and toss in the food in the fry pan etc. In English and German that works automatically, but even in Dutch it is too distracting and I mess up my food.

So, I really have to say it's not automatically, at least not at first. It takes more effort, concentration and will tire you out. You can't multitask like you do in your native language (or English). I do still think it's worth it, and I hope I can do what you said and consume my entertainment completely in other languages and enjoy it just as much as I do in English some day. And that's the main problem, it's not enjoyable for me. I'd have to make a constant effort and change that, I kind of haven't for a long time.

I'm curious what others have to say about this topic, so thanks for opening the thread.
6 x

TopDog_IK
Yellow Belt

Postby TopDog_IK » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:58 pm

Cavesa wrote:
einzelne wrote:

very simply put :

phase one: grammar, classes, etc
result: B1 or weaker B2

phase two: tons of entertainment
C1 or C2

of course there can be some overlaps. But this thread is mostly about people from B2 on, where even textbook lovers need to switch to other stuff at least for majority of their learning activities.

I started at A1 with German immersion replacing English entertainment.
1 x

Inge
White Belt
Languages: English

Postby Inge » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:39 am

Last edited by Inge on Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”