Language Lords

General discussion about learning languages
einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Re: Language Lords

Postby einzelne » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:23 pm

Le Baron wrote:I want to be a Language Lord. I hope it comes with a manor house and stables. And entitles me to sit in the House of Lords where I can make lordly impassioned speeches about important language matters.

Like this guy?
7 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:36 pm

einzelne wrote:
Le Baron wrote:I want to be a Language Lord. I hope it comes with a manor house and stables. And entitles me to sit in the House of Lords where I can make lordly impassioned speeches about important language matters.

Like this guy?

No I think he means more like this guy:

Arthur Desmond Colquhoun Gore, 9th Earl of Arran (born 14 July 1938), styled Viscount Sudley between 1958 and 1983, is a British peer and Lord Temporal in the House of Lords.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Go ... l_of_Arran
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:05 pm

rdearman wrote:No I think he means more like this guy:

Arthur Desmond Colquhoun Gore, 9th Earl of Arran (born 14 July 1938), styled Viscount Sudley between 1958 and 1983, is a British peer and Lord Temporal in the House of Lords.

Yes, that's more like it. Though that fellow looks like a bit of a villain.
2 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Bangla (Advanced Low ACTFL 060723)
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 20#p217017

Postby Yunus39 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:16 am

einzelne wrote:
Yunus39 wrote:I am a big fan of the LANGUAGE LORDS channel so far.

It's a little bit off topic but, if I were you, I wouldn't spend so much of your time on these videos.

Yeah, truthfully, I used to watch a lot of this kind of thing, but at this point have subscriptions to this guy, aguelles, simcott, and Kauffman, and only watch 5% or less of what they post. I do find it motivating though.

I actually culled the following info from Language Lords first couple videos, and added them to an activities doc I have. His specificty on workflow and method is helpful to me:

30 Minute Speaking Exercises
Record yourself speaking in front of your computer. Rewatch the video and write down any words you didn’t know how to say and any phrases or sentences that you didn’t know how to structure. Add these words to your vocab list, and work on these sentences with your language partner. Get recordings for both from your language partner.
Exercise 1:
Freely speak about any subject.
Exercise 2:
Tell a story from your life.
Exercise 3:
Read an article in Bangla and verbally summarize after every two paragraphs.
Exercise 4:
Watch a video in Bangla and speak and summarize what it was about.
Learn more: https://youtu.be/hin1HGhbGdo

Accent Exercise
Read an article out loud in Bangla. If you run into a word you don’t know, pull it up on google translate and spend some time mimicking the pronunciation. After every three paragraphs, pull up a clip of a native speaker whose accent you want. Listen for 2 or 3 minutes, then continue reading out loud.

Video Exercises
Pick 5 videos about 10 min apiece. Watch them every single day for 30 days. It helps if you have a transcript in Bangla to read along with the videos. The vocabulary from these 5 videos will be your base vocabulary for the next 30 days.

Pick ten videos on ten different subjects that are about ten minutes long. If you can read transcripts while watching that would be best. Watch all ten videos every day for 30 days. After watching, pick one video and record yourself summarizing the video (see the speaking exercises above).

5 x
Bangla Pages: 8382
Ancient Greek Pages: 2194
Scots Pages: 449

Amandine
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1/B2), Russian (B1), Romanian (A1, casual playing on Duolingo), Yiddish (ditto)

Postby Amandine » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:31 am

Yes, watching these videos is procrastination from actually learning our languages but so is this forum! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously it is deliberately intense and extreme (which is what makes it entertaining to watch, for me at least) but I also find the fundamental advice of shadowing/memorising texts, close study of specific texts and adapting them to yourself very effective if deployed in a more normal way over the long term. I think @Yunus39 has picked out the best points above.
9 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:14 pm

Yunus39 wrote:
Video Exercises
Pick 5 videos about 10 min apiece. Watch them every single day for 30 days. It helps if you have a transcript in Bangla to read along with the videos. The vocabulary from these 5 videos will be your base vocabulary for the next 30 days.

Pick ten videos on ten different subjects that are about ten minutes long. If you can read transcripts while watching that would be best. Watch all ten videos every day for 30 days. After watching, pick one video and record yourself summarizing the video (see the speaking exercises above).

Watching the same content over and over and over again for an entire month? Sounds incredibly boring.
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:09 am

tractor wrote:Watching the same content over and over and over again for an entire month? Sounds incredibly boring.

Having recently observed toddlers and their TV preferences, I can only conclude this is part of the philosophy of "learning like a child". :D
14 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:08 pm

Le Baron wrote:

Of course he's a villain. If Hollywood has taught me anything, a posh British accent is a sure sign that a person is evil. Or that they're an ancient Roman.
5 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

anitarrc
Orange Belt
Languages: Moved around... English + German + Spanish + Dutch + French + Portuguese
used daily
Catalá Russian Serbian: struggling but improving. Bahasa..needs refreshment

Postby anitarrc » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:46 am

Le Baron wrote:

You mean like Jeffrey Archer?
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:20 pm

anitarrc wrote:You mean like Jeffrey Archer?

He doesn't just look like a villain.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”